ADVERTISEMENT

USNWR 2020

They dumped the counselor rating into this year or last?

I thought it was for 2020 (this issue ranking).

I look at this US News (fall issue) ranking as basically a ranking of a school based on their Undergraduate Programs.

The US News (spring issue) graduate school rankings are more indicative of the quality of a schools graduate programs.

Some of the schools highly ranked on the fall issue (undergrad rank) significantly fall off on the spring issue (graduate school rank) because they are not AAU (research based) universities.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: NotInRHouse
Lol. That was exactly what I said after touring both. I’m curious how Stevens is gaming the system, because that place has become pretty much where every rich tech kid wants to go.

There are much worse places to be 21 than Hoboken. My guess is that is part of it.

I thought it was for 2020 (this issue ranking).

I look at this US News (fall issue) ranking as basically a ranking of a school based on their Undergraduate Programs.

The US News (spring issue) graduate school rankings are more indicative of the quality of a schools graduate programs.

Some of the schools highly ranked on the fall issue (undergrad rank) significantly fall off on the spring issue (graduate school rank) because they are not AAU (research based) universities.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Yes that is true. The law school and med school rankings are quite different. I think Pitt is a top 20 med school.

Yes that is true. The law school and med school rankings are quite different. I think Pitt is a top 20 med school.

Correct.

Pitt medical school ranked #13, in fact all of Pitt's Health Science Programs are Top 20 ranked (our best Graduate Programs). Pitt's association with the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) also a Top 20 ranked Medical Center certainly helps.

Going forward all of Rutgers Health Science Programs should benefit with the coupling of Rutgers medical school and associated Hospital systems. You already have an outstanding Pharmacy School.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
I seem to recall telling the story about Northeastern last year...

Their president is an alchemist and figured out the algorithm to make it work for the Terriers...without reading the link I believe it will mention class size (always <20), building on campus (cranes means mean vertical movement) and the price tag (the higher the better).
A lot of what you said is correct. Still, it boggles my mind how schools allow that rag to run their lives. I don't know if you recall, but some of the top schools in the Ivy League, plus other top universities and top public universities wanted to boycott USNews a few years ago and refuse to give them ANY information. I wonder if that still has legs?

I love my nephew and he is a pretty smart kid, but I do not think having Florida 15 spots ahead of Rutgers in the USNews rankings makes any sense at all. Rutgers is closer in my opinion.
It is closer. In fact you don't even have to go back more than ten years and you'll find the U of Florida was always ranked below us.

My nephew graduated there a few years ago. He thought the school was good, but not great and he told me his friend at Rutgers (they studied similar things) was actually ahead of him on what they were learning. And my nephew was in their honors program and his friend at Rutgers was not. Hmmm.

I am not going to go and crow about the ranking that has us higher any more than I am going to ignore the ranking that has us lower. I'm sure there is a methodology out there that could rank us #9 and another that could rank us below #100.

Although people still use these, don't you get the feeling that, like the SAT, as we go forward they will start to mean less and less? And Northeastern got so much publicity for gaming the rankings (I did read that story last year, and it was fascinating) that could not have helped their prestige.

In short, market what we do have and just ignore the rankings. Just show people the College Avenue and Livingston campuses with a "before" picture and you're off to a good start.

Rutgers is ranked number 48 in the world which places us 7th in the Big Ten. Rutgers needs to mention this in every piece of literature, websites, student visits,etc. to get the general public aware of our high ranking.Including it in commercials is a must.

I know you keep emphasizing this rating, but #7 in the Big Ten is not at all impressive; it's OK, but nothing more. We should be third behind Northwestern and Michigan.

I know you keep emphasizing this rating, but #7 in the Big Ten is not at all impressive; it's OK, but nothing more. We should be third behind Northwestern and Michigan.

I think last year was accurate with us at 5. I can understand being behind Illinois and Wisconsin based on their student body profile.

I think last year was accurate with us at 5. I can understand being behind Illinois and Wisconsin based on their student body profile.

I don't mind that much being behind Wisconsin, which has built a great reputation over the last century. Illinois is not in the same class. It gets students from Illinois because there aren't many private in-state options; Chicago and Northwestern are very selective. But it's not better otherwise. And Champaign-Urbana is not exactly a happening place.

I can't speak for the rest of the school, but UIUC has the third best public engineering school, behind Ga Tech & Berkeley and ahead of Michigan & Purdue. Of course, going through the process with my kids, these rankings mean absolutely nothing.

I can't speak for the rest of the school, but UIUC has the third best public engineering school, behind Ga Tech &amp; Berkeley and ahead of Michigan &amp; Purdue. Of course, going through the process with my kids, these rankings mean absolutely nothing.
Extremely well regarded in engineering and the hard sciences. Among others, civil engineering and electrical/computer engineering are particular standout departments in its engineering school.

I don't mind that much being behind Wisconsin, which has built a great reputation over the last century. Illinois is not in the same class. It gets students from Illinois because there aren't many private in-state options; Chicago and Northwestern are very selective. But it's not better otherwise. And Champaign-Urbana is not exactly a happening place.
" Illinois is not in the same class. It gets students from Illinois because there aren't many private in-state options; Chicago and Northwestern are very selective."

You could pretty much substitute Rutgers in the above remarks and insert Princeton for the very selective and it would still be accurate I think.

I can't say for sure but I would think UIUC has a high in-state percentage for a few of the same reasons that Rutgers does.

At the end of the day, my impression is that the B1G has a lot of clustering around the middle without much differentiation in terms of relative academic standing. In no particular order....

Illinois
Rutgers
Penn State
Purdue
Indiana
Maryland
Minnesota
Ohio State

I think you're getting a pretty comparable degree from any of the above so if you're a resident of any of the respective states I don't know there's enough of a draw to go to one of the others as an out of state student, unless they're giving you enough $ to more than offset the difference.

" Illinois is not in the same class. It gets students from Illinois because there aren't many private in-state options; Chicago and Northwestern are very selective."

You could pretty much substitute Rutgers in the above remarks and insert Princeton for the very selective and it would still be accurate I think.

I can't say for sure but I would think UIUC has a high in-state percentage for a few of the same reasons that Rutgers does.

At the end of the day, my impression is that the B1G has a lot of clustering around the middle without much differentiation in terms of relative academic standing. In no particular order....

Illinois
Rutgers
Penn State
Purdue
Indiana
Maryland
Minnesota
Ohio State

I think you're getting a pretty comparable degree from any of the above so if you're a resident of any of the respective states I don't know there's enough of a draw to go to one of the others as an out of state student, unless they're giving you enough $ to more than offset the difference.

It's very different in Illinois than here. There are a ton of private secular colleges in the tristate area. The options in Illinois are much less.

UIUC is good, but, as with Rutgers, people think of the main campus when these rankings are being done.

CamdenLaw, the universities in those other Big Ten states probably do not have constant attacks or disinterest from local media, not to mention school principals trying to boost their ego and paychecks steering kids to private schools, and guidance counselors who seem to frequently know little about their own State University.

CamdenLaw, the universities in those other Big Ten states probably do not have constant attacks or disinterest from local media, not to mention school principals trying to boost their ego and paychecks steering kids to private schools, and guidance counselors who seem to frequently know little about their own State University.

I lived in Chicago, and I can tell you the Chicago media couldn't care less about U. Illlinois -- their games are barely covered, and there's little mention of the school otherwise. It's hours from Chicago to Champaign-Urbana. And Rutgers' problems are far greater than some kind of conspiracy against it. It's a problem being in a place with so many alternatives, and in a state that is so small that parents can realistically send their kids elsewhere.

CamdenLaw, I would agree Chicago media probably is not that supportive of Illinois, but how about the media in Peoria, Springfield, Macomb, Naperville, Rock Island,etc.? We are lucky if we even get halfway decent coverage in central New Jersey, let alone the papers in Newton, Cherry Hill, Vineland, Atlantic City, Bergen County,etc. All I can tell you is that for two and a half years , I lived just ten minutes from an SEC university, and the media coverage wasn’t just night and day—it was like night and day on different planets. I am not just talking about coverage for the sports teams (all sports), but campus plays, concerts, speakers,student charity events,museum events, academics, and they presented it in a “This is our School way”, not in a “they” or even worse “the this is a chance to disparage “ way. This difference wasn’t just in the papers, but on TV stations as well. Of course here in New Jersey, we wouldn’t know anything about TV stations since the NINE MILLION of us don’t have any channels to watch. Meanwhile, in the rest of the country, a town with 100,000 people will not only have a station, they may have ones from various networks. State residents know about their OWN State University from birth.Just my two cents.

CamdenLaw, I would agree Chicago media probably is not that supportive of Illinois, but how about the media in Peoria, Springfield, Macomb, Naperville, Rock Island,etc.? We are lucky if we even get halfway decent coverage in central New Jersey, let alone the papers in Newton, Cherry Hill, Vineland, Atlantic City, Bergen County,etc. All I can tell you is that for two and a half years , I lived just ten minutes from an SEC university, and the media coverage wasn’t just night and day—it was like night and day on different planets. I am not just talking about coverage for the sports teams (all sports), but campus plays, concerts, speakers,student charity events,museum events, academics, and they presented it in a “This is our School way”, not in a “they” or even worse “the this is a chance to disparage “ way. This difference wasn’t just in the papers, but on TV stations as well. Of course here in New Jersey, we wouldn’t know anything about TV stations since the NINE MILLION of us don’t have any channels to watch. Meanwhile, in the rest of the country, a town with 100,000 people will not only have a station, they may have ones from various networks. State residents know about their OWN State University from birth.Just my two cents.

SEC and Big 10 are not comparable. In the south, college sports are like religion. Don't assume that what's true of the SEC is necessarily true of the B1G. It's true of some B1G schools, but not all.

Beside, few schools are in a greater metropolitan area the way we are; for some of those towns, the campus dominates the surrounding area and is the only source of culture. BTW, newspapers barely exist any more in most small towns, and the broadcast media are all urban.

I also believe that Rutgers would benefit greatly in the eyes of New Jerseyans if football were good. Having a 1-11 team makes us a laughing stock.. Maybe it will be different if the men's basketball team can break through and become a consistent NCAA tournament team. There are B1G schools, like Indiana, that have long had pretty bad football teams, but a great men's basketball team really helped bring the school to public attention.

Don't they have a lot of Catholic schools in the area like we do...and ND is like an hour and change away?

I always kind of put IL and TX in a similar basket to us- mostly in state students, a lot of first in family college students, which seems to ding in the ratings.

CamdenLaw, I keep hearing people saying newspapers are dead, but the ones in New Jersey keep going. The Newark Evening News died in the 70s and the Dover Daily Advance later, but around here, in addition to the Asbury Park Press, the towns of Manchester,Jackson,Toms River,Brick,Berkeley, and I think Lacey all have papers. These aren’t just shoppers weeklies, but cover actual events and stories on a very local basis. They will go outside the town if it relates locally-example a local athlete competing at a college. The state of South Carolina has five million residents and THIRTY television stations. We have one short range TV station in Atlantic City for NINE million people! That is just wrong and as I said a huge part of the lack of identification our residents have with their State University.At one of our basketball games, I talked with a family from Indiana who sat behind me. They were telling me no matter the day of the year or where you go, you just constantly are hearing about the main universities-Purdue, Indiana, and to a certain extent other schools like Ball State. The kids just dream about going to their own schools because they see so much pride from every avenue, including the media, school teachers,family. I know we keep getting better and better students and SATs keep improving, applications are way up, campus visits are skyrocketing, but we still can do much better. It is one thing if a smart kid chooses Princeton, but when you hear about kids that could have gone to Rutgers but instead they are at Delaware, URI, West Virginia, NC StateJames Madison and the parents who have their nose up in the air because they DID NOT go to Rutgers, it makes you shake your head. Again, just my opinion.

It's very different in Illinois than here. There are a ton of private secular colleges in the tristate area. The options in Illinois are much less.

UIUC is good, but, as with Rutgers, people think of the main campus when these rankings are being done.

I don't disagree. It makes sense that the availability of fewer private schools allows UIUC to draw better in-state students than Rutgers-NB, all else being equal. I guess I don't know why I would regard UIUC any lesser because of that, nor whether its ranking is all that much inflated specifically due to that. Maybe a similar argument holds for Wisconsin...there probably aren't many private school options in that state....Marquette U in Milwaukee? After that, I suppose your aforementioned U Chicago and Northwestern are not too far. So Wisconsin may be the beneficiary of similar circumstances.

Also, not sure I understand what you're getting at with respect to "main campus"....why would we not be thinking of that in this case, as the rankings we are discussing are comparing those respective main campuses? Does that skew things toward UIUC instead of Rutgers-NB in some way?

Last edited:
CamdenLaw, I keep hearing people saying newspapers are dead, but the ones in New Jersey keep going. The Newark Evening News died in the 70s and the Dover Daily Advance later, but around here, in addition to the Asbury Park Press, the towns of Manchester,Jackson,Toms River,Brick,Berkeley, and I think Lacey all have papers. These aren’t just shoppers weeklies, but cover actual events and stories on a very local basis. They will go outside the town if it relates locally-example a local athlete competing at a college. The state of South Carolina has five million residents and THIRTY television stations. We have one short range TV station in Atlantic City for NINE million people! That is just wrong and as I said a huge part of the lack of identification our residents have with their State University.At one of our basketball games, I talked with a family from Indiana who sat behind me. They were telling me no matter the day of the year or where you go, you just constantly are hearing about the main universities-Purdue, Indiana, and to a certain extent other schools like Ball State. The kids just dream about going to their own schools because they see so much pride from every avenue, including the media, school teachers,family. I know we keep getting better and better students and SATs keep improving, applications are way up, campus visits are skyrocketing, but we still can do much better. It is one thing if a smart kid chooses Princeton, but when you hear about kids that could have gone to Rutgers but instead they are at Delaware, URI, West Virginia, NC StateJames Madison and the parents who have their nose up in the air because they DID NOT go to Rutgers, it makes you shake your head. Again, just my opinion.

To take one example, the Courier-Post has virtually no presence in Cherry Hill and the other South Jersey towns. It is remarkable how many local papers have died or are tottering to the point where a kid is ill-advised to go into journalism. \\

I agree that Rutgers' reputation in New Jersey is not what it should be. My neighbors in South Jersey do not hesitate to send their kids to U. Delaware rather than to Rutgers, or to other Big 10 schools. My "niece-in-law" went to U. Del from North Jersey and says she loved the place. Rutgers, as you well know, just does not have any cachet.

I don't disagree. It makes sense that the availability of fewer private schools allows UIUC to draw better in-state students than Rutgers-NB, all else being equal. I guess I don't know why I would regard UIUC any lesser because of that, nor whether its ranking is all that much inflated specifically due to that. Maybe a similar argument holds for Wisconsin...there probably aren't many private school options in that state....Marquette U in Milwaukee? After that, I suppose your aforementioned U Chicago and Northwestern are not too far. So Wisconsin may be the beneficiary of similar circumstances.

Also, not sure I understand what you're getting at with respect to "main campus"....why would we not be thinking of that in this case, as the rankings we are discussing are comparing those respective main campuses? Does that skew things toward UIUC instead of Rutgers-NB in some way?

didn't mean to confuse you. All I was trying to say is that UIUC's reputation does not do much for the main campus of Illinois in Champaign-Urbana; all these ratings are specific to the main campus.

CamdenLaw, that is what I am saying. Rutgers should have “cachet” with New Jersey kids, but because of the media kids here do not get a chance to “grow up with Rutgers.” Here are a couple examples. Rutgers just opened two new theaters at the New Brunswick Performing Arts Center. Where were the Philly and NYC TV stations? If central New Jersey has the five or six TV stations it should like other areas with the population, every station would have been there, probably with pre event live coverage. I know you spent years at Rutgers Law School. How many graduation ceremonies were talked about on Philly TV stations? When a legal expert was needed for a situation, how many times did Philly TV stations ask Rutgers law professors? If this was South Carolina, you can bet they would not have gone and asked Georgia or North Carolina staff.Kids in our State need to know what our state offers , not what schools in other states do. That is how they grow up in other states-being informed of what they have and they are proud of it.

Other areas with the same population aren't part of huge metropolitan areas. So the stations are in the heart of the area, not in New Jersey. Your point about the Camden law school is good, but the stations and major TV stations are in Philly, not South Jersey, and so they focus on law schools in Philly. Rutgers in New Brunswick is located in the periphery of two major metropolitan areas. So we are seen like the University of Connecticut, which makes the New York news only for the women's basketball team.

There is just no possibility of there being TV stations or newspapers centered around New Brunswick or even northern New Jersey. So all of New Jersey -- not just Rutgers -- is underserved. Rutgers simply has to find a way around that. I am coming to the view that the only way to attract publicity is to have outstanding football and basketball teams to create a buzz.

BTW, I think Rutgers has *many* other problems beside media coverage. The New Brunswick campus is not and probably never will be a match for other campuses. We lack the urban surroundings of an NYU, or the suburban/rural/smal town surroundings of many state universities.

I strongly hoped Rutgers would take over New Jersey Network when it was sold. Have no idea why Montclair State got it (probably politics). Anyway, it is truly terrible now. The news half hour seems like something from a fairly good high school TV club.No sports coverage at all which is how I became a Rutgers sports fan as a kid in the great football and basketball seasons of 1976. I would like to see an upgraded Rutgers TV/RVision broadcast on every cable outlet in the state, as well as Dish and DirectTV. That would be a way around us not having TV stations for New Jerseyans. One last thing, I know not everyone is a fan of President Barchi and it may have happened with someone else, but interest in the University by kids and parents is at an all time high in my opinion.

To take one example, the Courier-Post has virtually no presence in Cherry Hill and the other South Jersey towns. It is remarkable how many local papers have died or are tottering to the point where a kid is ill-advised to go into journalism. \\

I agree that Rutgers' reputation in New Jersey is not what it should be. My neighbors in South Jersey do not hesitate to send their kids to U. Delaware rather than to Rutgers, or to other Big 10 schools. My "niece-in-law" went to U. Del from North Jersey and says she loved the place. Rutgers, as you well know, just does not have any cachet.

As a Californian now (I was born and raised in NJ), it still amuses me when parents in NJ will actually send their kids to out of state schools like Delaware or WVU etc. Those schools don't hold a candle to Rutgers. In my day when I attended RU-NB, kids who went to Delaware etc., went there because they were rejected at RU-NB not because their parents had their nose in the air.

But Camden, to take your point further, I completely agree with you that northeast students have so many more choices up and down the eastern seaboard, especially private schools than as was mentioned earlier in this thread; UIUC.

In California, the reputation of Rutgers is phenomenal. Always compared favorably to the very best UC schools. It still boggles my mind how other states look at their top public university with such pride, but in NJ it's either a safety school for those applying to the very best privates colleges or kids convincing their parents that an out of state public university is a better alternative to Rutgers.

Reactions: RUseaweed
As a Californian now (I was born and raised in NJ), it still amuses me when parents in NJ will actually send their kids to out of state schools like Delaware or WVU etc. Those schools don't hold a candle to Rutgers. In my day when I attended RU-NB, kids who went to Delaware etc., went there because they were rejected at RU-NB not because their parents had their nose in the air.

But Camden, to take your point further, I completely agree with you that northeast students have so many more choices up and down the eastern seaboard, especially private schools than as was mentioned earlier in this thread; UIUC.

In California, the reputation of Rutgers is phenomenal. Always compared favorably to the very best UC schools. It still boggles my mind how other states look at their top public university with such pride, but in NJ it's either a safety school for those applying to the very best privates colleges or kids convincing their parents that an out of state public university is a better alternative to Rutgers.

Yes, Rutgers' reputation gets better the further away you go. That's not a good sign. Probably there are Californians who imagine that RU is private and Ivy League.

You seem down on Rutgers academically.

No, I'm just saying that it's not a good sign that the school's reputation is greatest among those who know the least about it. And it's not a good sign that a poll that makes us #42 in the world still leaves us in the middle of the B1G pack. Rutgers needs to make a major investment in improving undergraduate education and the law school -- our law school does not compare that well with the Big 10 law schools except for the relatively new schools at Penn State and Michigan State. But, given the lack of the state legislature's interest in funding us, and given our shortcomings in fundraising from alumni, it is going to be difficult to do those things.

CamdenLaw, this may be a really crazy idea and I don’t know if any other Law School has done it, but could Rutgers sell naming rights to the Rutgers Law School buildings. I don’t mean John Smith donates a million and the building is forever known as the John Smith Law Center. I mean do it just like arenas and stadiums. For x amount of money and x amount of years, the building will be known as the XYZ Law Center on the Camden campus and the 123 Law Center at the Newark campus. I have no idea if companies or law firms would be interested in doing this and how much they would pay, but who knows, it may provide a fair amount of funding.

I could buy a school like WVU for kids that don't get into RU but choosing Delware over RU is a waste...that low ranking this year is going to rankle showy NJ parents.

Reactions: RU MAN
CamdenLaw, this may be a really crazy idea and I don’t know if any other Law School has done it, but could Rutgers sell naming rights to the Rutgers Law School buildings. I don’t mean John Smith donates a million and the building is forever known as the John Smith Law Center. I mean do it just like arenas and stadiums. For x amount of money and x amount of years, the building will be known as the XYZ Law Center on the Camden campus and the 123 Law Center at the Newark campus. I have no idea if companies or law firms would be interested in doing this and how much they would pay, but who knows, it may provide a fair amount of funding.

I have never heard of this. Generally, if schools are named, it is because of a huge donation. Doing this is itself a mixed blessing because it tends to obscure the school's connection with the university -- and in the case of the Rutgers Law School, the Rutgers name is its most important aspect. That's why many of my (now former) colleagues at Rutgers-Camden went berserk about the proposed shift of the campus to Rowan.

I could buy a school like WVU for kids that don't get into RU but choosing Delware over RU is a waste...that low ranking this year is going to rankle showy NJ parents.

Maybe that's right, but I can tell you that the students who go to Delaware seem happy with their experiences there. WVU is a different matter -- for one thing, it's in West Virginia.

No, I'm just saying that it's not a good sign that the school's reputation is greatest among those who know the least about it. And it's not a good sign that a poll that makes us #42 in the world still leaves us in the middle of the B1G pack. Rutgers needs to make a major investment in improving undergraduate education and the law school -- our law school does not compare that well with the Big 10 law schools except for the relatively new schools at Penn State and Michigan State. But, given the lack of the state legislature's interest in funding us, and given our shortcomings in fundraising from alumni, it is going to be difficult to do those things.

I should have added that the recent "Master Plan" named the law school as one in which Rutgers significantly lags the other Big 10 institutions. How many proposals were made in the Plan for improving the law school? None. Perhaps this is because President Barchi is a doctor, and doctors are well-known for hating lawyers.

I don’t think middle of the B1G pack is bad. Most of our conference mates are excellent institutions of higher learning. In regards to us news, these rankings are skewed towards private schools and blue blood universities, like Michigan and UNC, who have a ton of $.

I don’t think middle of the B1G pack is bad. Most of our conference mates are excellent institutions of higher learning. In regards to us news, these rankings are skewed towards private schools and blue blood universities, like Michigan and UNC, who have a ton of $.

It is not bad, but it is not good either. It is mediocre. The best one can say is that we're in the upper half (maybe upper quarter) of state universities because B1G schools are generally excellent. But that's a far cry from what Rutgers people seem to think we are.

No Camden, not sell naming rights for the Law School. I mean the actual buildings. We just opened the RWJ Barnabas Center for example and we received 18 million dollars which I believe will go up to 26 million in the future. Could you see Jones,Smith, and Brown willing to pay us money to have a building be called the Jones, Smith, and Brown Law Hall? Doesn’t have to be a law firm , though.

Maybe that's right, but I can tell you that the students who go to Delaware seem happy with their experiences there. WVU is a different matter -- for one thing, it's in West Virginia.

I am not saying it is not fun and I know folks who went there and liked it. I just wonder if it's worth the extra money. To me, there are few out of state schools I would say are worth it over RU- UCLA, Berkeley, Michigan, UNC and UVA are the big ones, perhaps Georgia Tech or William and Mary. To me it would be one of those, an Ivy, a Duke or Stanford or CMU type private school...or RU or TCNJ it will be.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT