ADVERTISEMENT

UT NIL Deal: Scholarship OL get $150K+ Annually

Summary:

Never understood how people can hide behind the keyboard and tell other people how to spend their money..

Now let me hide behind a keyboard and tell you how to spend your money.

I never said anyone should spend any money. I just said if you're that upset about what you think will happen to Rutgers you should do something about it yourself instead of asking someone else to do it.

I don't feel that strongly about it.

So recruiting should only be about the team, their play on the field and opportunities for winning?
Well that sucks for Schiano.

Items you are removing from Schiano's recruiting pitch:
We are within an hour of NYC and provide numerous intern opportunities on Wall Street
Schiano has put numerous players in the NFL and allowed them to make money to support their families for generations.

Hell, Pike even tweeted out picture of all his former NBA players and the contracts they received recently signed. (I think it was Pike or someone within the AD).
The items you say I am removing are not valid, are not payments to the recruit

They are pointing out future opportunities after graduation
Every program should make their diploma seem valuable

Reactions: RU-AGK
Again, while I understand college football is big business you have lost sight of the fact that these are supposed to be student-athletes not guns for hire. I know that hasn’t really been the case for a long time but at this rate we are going to see colleges writing checks directly to athletes for their services outside the scholarship structure.
The colleges can be controlled from directly paying players by the NCAA without running afoul of the player's constitutional rights.

The players cannot be controlled from seeking money from organizations that lie outside the NCAA's control without violating the player's constitutional rights.

Over time, perhaps as much as a decade or so, the entire system will settle on something that preserves the profitability. It's unclear, for now, how much prioritization will be given to student athletes academics versus the athletics part.

That’s fine - but was your buddy paid as an inducement to attend Mason Gross? That’s the point a lot of folks are missing on this thread. The issue is not an athlete making money on the side based on his/her athletic gift. The issue is being paid for the sole purpose of inducing that athlete to attend a particular college. It’s simple - if I own a card shop and want to pay some high school super star QB to come work an autograph signing that fine in my book. But if I’m a card shop owner and tell some high school super star QB that I’ll pay him to sign autographs only if he commits to play for Texas. That’s where NIL goes completely off the rails IMO.
You think some MIT students don't get side-job offers they wouldn't get if they weren't at MIT?

Reactions: rutgersfan1766
That's extremely naive and dense. I'm sure the schools in our division with massive resources such as Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, and even MSU won't start doing something very similar. Add in all of the other schools with deeeeep pockets around the country that recruit NJ heavily such as Alabama, Notre Dame, USC, Florida, Texas A&M, etc. won't either. They will all just sit idly by and let Texas play by their own rules.
Big time football, either we are in or not. These are the rules, so what are we gonna do?

Never understood how people can hide behind the keyboard and tell other people how to spend their money. How about spending some of your own money? Rutgers fans need to stop being cheapskates and asking a few donors to bail them out. If you really are that concerned then do something about it yourself.

I'm not worried about the impact of NIL for one second. I am confident Rutgers will do just fine.
Yes! People here would rather craft a 35-minute manifesto on the perversion of the virtues of the college athlete and how Rutgers is doomed, than be a part of the solution and just pay the dudes.

I've paid a bunch of guys. I assure you, it's very, very easy.

Yes! People here would rather craft a 35-minute manifesto on the perversion of the virtues of the college athlete and how Rutgers is doomed, than be a part of the solution and just pay the dudes.

I've paid a bunch of guys. I assure you, it's very, very easy.
There is paid and getting paiddddd😂. Player have always gotten paid that Weill never stop, but the oil money in Texas are about to get players paiddddd. Doesn’t bother me because we will never be able to compete with the the oil $$$$$$$.

You think some MIT students don't get side-job offers they wouldn't get if they weren't at MIT?
No, I don’t think a MIT alumni or donor is paying some brainiac $$$ to choose MIT over Cal Tech.

No, I don’t think a MIT alumni or donor is paying some brainiac $$$ to choose MIT over Cal Tech.
You're saying that universities don't establish pipelines for internships and employment offers? That they don't paid part time jobs to students? Of course they do. Especially in STEM and business school graduate programs.

And for high-achieving students choosing between schools, the quality and options associated with certain schools will absolutely influence those student's choice of schools, along with scholarships. I have family members who benefited from such academic arrangements. I bet others here do, too.

What's happening with NIL deals is essentially the same thing. The schools arrange for favorable NIL conditions for student athletes who choose their school. This doesn't prevent other schools for counter-offering. Ohio State and Alabama can compete for favorable NIL conditions to induce students to choose them. MIT and Cal Tech can do the same via paid internship arrangements and so forth.

There is paid and getting paiddddd😂. Player have always gotten paid that Weill never stop, but the oil money in Texas are about to get players paiddddd. Doesn’t bother me because we will never be able to compete with the the oil $$$$$$$.
Yeah agree. But, again, that's a weird rationalization. It's like saying, "well, Texas QB makes $500K per year, so our QB doesn't deserve $500 because it's so much less".

I just don't get that one. $500 is still better than $0

Who said just Texas? I said schools of that status. In our division that's PSU, OSU, Michigan, MSU....they already have more than we do in terms of coaching salaries, facilities and all the other bells and whistles.....this is just more of the same. Relative to where it is now, nothing is different with NIL. I don't think there's anything naive about it and too much sky is falling at this point in time. The dynamics of how we compare to these schools is essentially the same as it is now.

High status school are competing with each other for these 5 star recruits and the rest not us. The only time it affects us is when bunch of schools of our status do all these things on this level and consistently. That hasn't happened yet.

WF/Pitt played in the ACC champ game not FSU/Clemson....Utah just kicked Oregon in the mouth twice with all their gleaming facilities and top recruits and USC wasn't even there with all their high ranked recruits. Schools like us always have to find a way to compete with schools that will always have more, that's the way it's been and that's the way it will be. This is more of the same. Also there is a balance somewhere in there between playing time/starting spots and NIL deals. Some may have their cake and eat it too. Cash in for a year or two and then move on if the situation isn't suitable.
We are in the same division as Michigan, MSU, Ohio St and Penn St. we aren’t in the Acc. They aren’t our peers. Our peers are going to destroy us in NIl.

We are in the same division as Michigan, MSU, Ohio St and Penn St. we aren’t in the Acc. They aren’t our peers. Our peers are going to destroy us in NIl.
Those schools outspend us in every way right now in terms of facilities, salaries, etc...so what's changed with regards to our relative status against them. This is just another aspect of the same story. They've had more, they have more and they will have more their relative status to us is no different than it is now It's just more of the same.

Reactions: mildone
Those schools outspend us in every way right now in terms of facilities, salaries, etc...so what's changed with regards to our relative status against them. This is just another aspect of the same story. They've had more, they have more and they will have more their relative status to us is no different than it is now It's just more of the same.
Exactly. Which, barring a miracle, is why we won’t win in this conference. Status quo can’t get it done.

If we are being truly honest, big time sports with so much revenue simply don’t belong at Universities. It is what it is but the professionalization pits it against education.

Reactions: mdh2003
Exactly. Which, barring a miracle, is why we won’t win in this conference. Status quo can’t get it done.
It's always been an uphill battle and will always be an uphill battle. It's the same as always. Our place on the landscape is unchanged. We're in the same tier.

If in the future, the BCs, Pitts, WVUs, IUs, WSUs etc...do it on that level and consistently with the NILs and such well then yes I'd agree it would affect our place on the landscape. For now that's not the case.

My point isn't to say just sit on our hands and don't do anything. Get whatever NIL deals possible sure. My point is, it's not the end of the world as it concerns us currently and the sky isn't falling. It's just the same as it always has been with regards to our place in the world.

No Rutgers fan actually wants "financial parity" in college football or college sports.
It would be death knell for Rutgers.

Can prove it with a simple question:
If all schools should have the same financial opportunities across college football - does that mean conference money should be pooled across all conferences and distributed equally among the 130 college football teams?

The current rules of financial inequality gives Rutgers has a huge financial advantage over most schools.
I certainly don't want financial partity - give money to Temple and UConn? Sorry - college football isn't fair.

Simple solution - if a player goes the NIL route they are ineligible for scholarship money. Wasn’t the entire purpose of an athletic scholarship to compensate athletes based on their talents and unique student circumstances?

Reactions: RU-AGK
Simple solution - if a player goes the NIL route they are ineligible for scholarship money. Wasn’t the entire purpose of an athletic scholarship to compensate athletes based on their talents and unique student circumstances?

Your lack of understanding is glaring. NIL is NOT salary. It is NOT true compensation. It is ones ability to leverage their name, image, and likeness for personal gain.

If you do not play a sport, you are able to do this already. I could have a Rutgersfan1766 Message Board Training Camp, but under old rules Geo Baker could not have a Geo Baker Basketball Camp.

Obvious the best of the best will fetch bigger deals but the majority of players will get nothing more than what amounts to monthly spending money.

I am for it. A way for them to make money while in school since they are too busy to have a traditional job.

Bud
Your lack of understanding is glaring. NIL is NOT salary. It is NOT true compensation. It is ones ability to leverage their name, image, and likeness for personal gain.

If you do not play a sport, you are able to do this already. I could have a Rutgersfan1766 Message Board Training Camp, but under old rules Geo Baker could not have a Geo Baker Basketball Camp.

Obvious the best of the best will fetch bigger deals but the majority of players will get nothing more than what amounts to monthly spending money.

I am for it. A way for them to make money while in school since they are too busy to have a traditional job.
There is no lack of understanding. College athletics is/was supposed to be tied to education and amateurism. When donors and alumni are paying high school kids to attend their alma mater or a particular school, education/amateurism basically goes out the window. And, for the folks on this thread that merely focus on the “big business” of college sports, that’s totally fine. But let’s not pretend education has anything to do with it.

Reactions: Caliknight
Bud

There is no lack of understanding. College athletics is/was supposed to be tied to education and amateurism. When donors and alumni are paying high school kids to attend their alma mater or a particular school, education/amateurism basically goes out the window. And, for the folks on this thread that merely focus on the “big business” of college sports, that’s totally fine. But let’s not pretend education has anything to do with it.

This has been occurring for literally decades.
Is it hypocrisy or ignorance?

If it's ignorance, I can kindly direct you to the near weekly recruiting scandal of "donors and alumni paying high school kids to attend their alma mater or a particular school".
Some of my favorite jokes are about Kentucky basketball players or SEC football players taking a payout when declaring for the draft.

If hypocrisy, then that's your own thing.
Just find it funny how "illegally" offering athletes financial incentives is okay and nobody said they were not watching anymore.
But "legally" offering athletes financial incentives is the downfall of college sports.

This has been occurring for literally decades.
Is it hypocrisy or ignorance?

If it's ignorance, I can kindly direct you to the near weekly recruiting scandal of "donors and alumni paying high school kids to attend their alma mater or a particular school".
Some of my favorite jokes are about Kentucky basketball players or SEC football players taking a payout when declaring for the draft.

If hypocrisy, then that's your own thing.
Just find it funny how "illegally" offering athletes financial incentives is okay and nobody said they were not watching anymore.
But "legally" offering athletes financial incentives is the downfall of college sports.
If it’s just about the money then why bother with this college charade. Let the NFL take this off the hands of colleges and form football minor leagues. Same goes for the NBA. But they won’t because it would cost them too much money.

Reactions: NickRU714
It's always been an uphill battle and will always be an uphill battle. It's the same as always. Our place on the landscape is unchanged. We're in the same tier.

If in the future, the BCs, Pitts, WVUs, IUs, WSUs etc...do it on that level and consistently with the NILs and such well then yes I'd agree it would affect our place on the landscape. For now that's not the case.

My point isn't to say just sit on our hands and don't do anything. Get whatever NIL deals possible sure. My point is, it's not the end of the world as it concerns us currently and the sky isn't falling. It's just the same as it always has been with regards to our place in the world.
Agreed.

This is an opportunity to lift ourselves using the NIL that didn't exist before (unless we wanted to cheat). If RU, or someone external to RU on RU's behalf, were to organization things in a way that showed it could genuinely help us become more competitive, I would, and I suspect @Caliknight might also, along with many others, contribute to that cause. We can't wait on just billionaire alumni to do it; it's going to need contributions from lots of people, same as RU facilities.

RU needs to either hire someone good to do this organizing, or else find someone who will do it externally. Or someone with plenty of time on their hands, and the right skill set, needs to do it.

The real problem is the same one RUFB has always had. The chicken or the egg problem. Nobody (including me) wants to contribute a lot to a program that isn't showing enough success to be worth it. But the program cannot show enough success unless people contribute. We all have other things to spend money on, too. This sort of thing is a lot easier to sell when a program is a viable national championship contender every year (e.g. Ohio State).

So it ain't gonna be easy. But while it's hard, it's still an opportunity to take a "shortcut" in recruiting that didn't exist before (without cheating).

If it’s just about the money then why bother with this college charade. Let the NFL take this off the hands of colleges and form football minor leagues. Same goes for the NBA. But they won’t because it would cost them too much money.
The charade is still worth it for the thousands of student athletes who want to play college sports but will never turn pro or see a dime in NIL money. They still need educating and most schools will still need them to fill out their rosters.

What happens to all of those student athletes if we let the NFL run the whole thing as a feeder league? Plus the natural excitement of the association with colleges would most likely evaporate if the NFL takes it over and turns it into a minor league.

The NIL rules will almost guaranty that RU will never win the Big 10. PSU, OSU, Michigan, etc have decades of booster support and local businesses that will create NIL opportunities for their players. I can't see a viable solution to this problem. Sad.

It’s not the same. These NIL deals are yet another huge hurdle.

Kids have a traditional job to pay for school. Athletes have all of their school and expenses paid for.

Reactions: bac2therac
Kids have a traditional job to pay for school. Athletes have all of their school and expenses paid for.

So what you're saying is that you're jealous they have a skill not many have so we have to handicap them in some other way to create equality?

How about we strive for equity not equality.

Never understood how people can hide behind the keyboard and tell other people how to spend their money. How about spending some of your own money? Rutgers fans need to stop being cheapskates and asking a few donors to bail them out. If you really are that concerned then do something about it yourself.

I'm not worried about the impact of NIL for one second. I am confident Rutgers will do just fine.

It was a joke, and 3 words … psycho

And I bet I donate a lot more than you

Nobody likes an internet tough guy.
So why were you being one? Happy to accept your apology, when you’re done being a “tough guy”

Literally all I wrote was “Paging Jeff Towers” 😂 and you converted it into a personal attack AND an attack on our fanbase

So don’t spin semantics, and act holier than thou

So why were you being one? Happy to accept your apology, when you’re done being a “tough guy”

Literally all I wrote was “Paging Jeff Towers” 😂 and you converted it into a personal attack AND an attack on our fanbase

So don’t spin semantics, and act holier than thou

I wasn't being one. I just didn't like that you asked someone else to donate money. Don't think it's fair to them. Your handle says it all.

I wasn't being one. I just didn't like that you asked someone else to donate money. Don't think it's fair to them. Your handle says it all.

Shocking — a bully who doubles down that he’s a saint. Then uses a tongue-in-cheek username to try and attack my character.

Obviously you’ll go back and forth for eternity about how you’re right, so this is kind of pointless.

Jeff Towers has given tens of millions to the Rutgers program. He’s awesome and have great respect for him. “Paging Jeff Towers” was something called a “Joke”. Ever heard or told
one before?

And no, I don’t appreciate our fanbase being called cheapskates when we recently put up with statistically the worst football in the nation under Ash, and we STILL opened our pocketbooks.

Happy Holidays to you. Snack on a snickers — it helps

There's more to college life than just school. You can't take a girl on a date with scholarship money, you can't go on Spring Break with textbook money, you can't buy a keg with your dining hall swipe card...

The NIL rules will almost guaranty that RU will never win the Big 10. PSU, OSU, Michigan, etc have decades of booster support and local businesses that will create NIL opportunities for their players. I can't see a viable solution to this problem. Sad.
I was surprised that the NIL came into being without limitations.

Many here supported the idea of the NIL in order to help your average scholarship player live more comfortably while in college

In olden times l.. rumors had it that some scholarship players did not have enough in their accounts to eat properly etc at certain programs

Now,
It is out of control without upper limits, and as others have mentioned, the very rich programs gain yet another advantage, not to mention the ridiculous over paying for some recruits

Is it too late to put limitations at this point, at least with future NIL deals? Probably

One thing a limitation might do is help funnel some of the donation money to lesser players on the same squad, money they might not have gotten otherwise

Reactions: batts
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT