***WAR ROOM #8 - The Offseason Continues***

Richie O

Hall of Famer
Staff
Mar 21, 2016
South Amboy, NJ
TEAM NEWS
FOOTBALL:
PWO LB Chike Nwankwo of Bridgewater-Raritan will play for the Devil Dogs in the 2018 Basilone Bowl on June 14 at Bridgewater-Raritan HS.

Recruiting Tidbits:
Sam Saxton’s father on coach John McNulty:
“I have to say, as a father who knows a little bit about football, McNulty is as good as they come in my book. I’m really impressed with him, I’d feel great turning my son over that guy.”

WR Brett Nabors (Christ Prep Academy - TN) on recent Rutgers offer: “I know that it’s a great academic school which is important to me. It’s in New Jersey so it’s for sure different than Tennessee. I plan on going to their camp on the 16th coming up real quick and I’m hoping to see the campus while I’m there.”

WR Charles Njoku (Wayne Hills - NJ): The 2019 wide receiver / tight end target has once again moved back his commitment date this time towards the end of June. A lot of schools are pressuring him to hold off. Right now he is hearing the most from the likes of Rutgers, Missouri, Purdue, Boston college, Syracuse, Virginia and Toledo.

DE Joseph Honeysucker (Hillsboro - TN) on recent Rutgers offer: “Honestly I don’t know that much about the school itself. Growing up down here, you don't hear too much about them. I'm definitely looking into it, cause I do know that Rutgers put players in the league so that's huge.”

DB Dequanteous Watts (Maynard Jackson - GA) on recent Rutgers offer: “I may take an official visit soon though depend on how my money is looking to travel first. I'm definitely planning a June visit to see Rutgers and the Passionate Athletics guys too.”

Richie’s Rumblings:
- The Scarlet Knights will attempt to take three running backs in this class.

Top 5 Rutgers Athletics Programs
  1. Women’s soccer
  2. Wrestling
  3. Men’s lacrosse
  4. Women’s basketball
  5. Baseball/Men’s basketball
Weekly Offer Update:
This past week we saw the basketball and football teams send out a number of new offers. Here is a look at who added a Rutgers offer this week:

2019:
RB Da'Juon Hewitt (Davidson Academy - TN) *Purdue Commit*
WR Brett Nabors (Christ Prep Academy - TN)
WR Isaiah Washington (Trinity Christian Academy - FL)
OL Jamari Williams (Cardinal Gibbons - FL)
DE Joseph Honeysucker (Hillsboro - TN)
DE Bam Brima (Loyalsock Township - PA)
DB Dequanteous Watts (Maynard Jackson - GA)
ATH Jeremiah Ashe (Freedom - FL)

2020:
WR Malik Bowen (Mount Juliet - TN)
DT Camron Jackson (Haynesville - LA)
LB Aaron Moore (Oakland - TN)
ATH Blayne Toll (Hazen - AR)

2021:
WR Quenton Barnes (Cane Ridge - TN)
DE Renard Gwynn (Freedom Prep Academy - TN)

CAMP SEASON:
We are just about a week away from the first camp of the season for the Rutgers Scarlet Knights and they open it up with a bang. The first of three East Coast Elite camps will feature schools like Army, Ohio State, Western Michigan and many more. With all of these schools coming to check out prospects a lot of kids are eager to show up. Here is a small list of recruits that have confirmed their attendance. More will be added throughout the week.

Class of 2019:
QB Nick Kargman⚔️
WR Stanley King⚔️
OL Liam Broggy
OL Max Lövblad
OL Bence Polgar
DT Mike Ciaffoni
LB Jaylen Ware
DB Elijah Ayers

Class of 2020:
RB Jose Lopez
DE Jahmeer Carter⚔️
LB Josh Johnson
DB Lonnie Rice
ATH Muheem McCargo⚔️

Inside Chris’ Cranium:
Hey all, instead of making a board post on Thursday with the answers to the questions you guys asked (remember, they don’t all have to be RU sports related), I decided to include the Q&A into the War Room for this week as part of my Inside Chris’ Cranium tidbit. With that being said, let’s go! It’ll be like a little mailbag.

Fishky: “What is the chance we shock some people this year and win games we shouldn’t? Can we upset a good team and get to 6-6 with this staff and team this year? Or are we still 1 or 2 years away?”

Chris: Rutgers can upset a good team, sure. Right now, Northwestern is an option. Head coach Chris Ash and co. are building depth and better players. It’ll come in time. It depends on the OL and DL as well as QB play. I wins over Texas State (1), Kansas (2), Buffalo (3), Illinois (4), with toss-ups being Indiana, Maryland, and Northwestern.

BlockR: “Can RU win on the road at Kansas, in a huge directional game for season,the week after playing Ohio State?”

Chris: Kansas is Kansas. If Rutgers loses this game, it’ll be worse than losing to Eastern Michigan last year. The Scarlet Knights just hope they’re not too banged up after coming back from Columbus however. You bring up a valid point, but talent should win out.

RUFanlivingNC: “Where would you Rank our Offense Line, compared to other Big 10 teams? Which will be stronger our pass protection or run blocking?”

Chris: I’m no expert on other teams in the conference, but I would say no higher than 10th. Tariq Cole at left tackle is a good starting point, but you are replacing two starting guards with players with little no experience as well as have a right tackle who is in question at times. Will Mike Lonsdorf be good at left guard if he sticks? Jonah Jackson should be fine at center and Nick Krimin looks promising at right guard. But, besides Cole and to an extent Kamaal Seymour, nobody is proven.

Bowlgoal: “How is it even possible to accurately predict a point spread in the Texas state game with a potential freshman starting qb and new OC who is completely different? Does 13.5 sound light to you?”

Chris:I don’t concern myself with betting lines of any sorts. Rutgers just needs to win and look good. To me, it doesn’t matter what the difference of margin is.

Davidbry523: “What chances does Robert Martin have of making the 53 on the Giants from what you have heard?”

Chris: I was listening to a bunch of New York Giants podcasts on Tuesday and I would say there’s a good chance that Martin at least makes the practice squad. I don’t think the Giants would dress four running backs on game day but who knows. Patricia Traina cited that she doesn’t look at roster and numbers and just writes down numbers of players who catches her eye. During minicamp and OTA’s Martin caught her eye.

Soma66: “Fatukasi seemed to be a forgotten name on the LB depth chart this spring. I know he’s a big contributor in specials, but is he that far down with the LBs?”

Chris: He’s going to make an impact on special teams. While he may not see time on the field on defense (he may), he did well on coverage units as a freshman. The starting linebackers (plus two with Malik Dixon and Tyshon Fogg) are set. Brendan DeVera is set to be the backup MLB. He’s only a sophomore, and is a key member of solid depth in the program at linebacker.

Gigantor1024: “Does Pikiell end up using Mulcahy as a G or SF? If G, which spot? Geo would be a Junior that year. Does Geo have more of a Natural position between PG and SG? Would the veteran be more likely to move from one or the rookie that year. His film is slick.”

Chris: Definitely a guard. Paul Mulcahy is an excellent ball handler with the ability to drive and dish. Geo Baker is a sweet shooter, but will have to play point guard this year. I was talking to Jerry Carino on Wednesday. We both agree that Mulcahy is the point guard of the future for the Scarlet Knights.

Clearscreen25: “We only have 1 punter right now (Korsak). Can anyone else on the team realistically handle punting duties in the event of an injury? I think DeVera punted in high school. Do you think we will bring in a PWO punter this summer?”

Chris: Davidovicz can punt. Check out some highlights I took of him at the Basilone Bowl during the summer when he arrived to Rutgers --->>

Courtesy of Aroost
These are mine. What are your’s?
Season wins = Five
Team MVP = Kevin Wilkins
Offensive MVP = Artur Sitkowski
Newcomer of year Offense = Sitkowski
Newcomer of year Defense = Tre Avery
Most pressures/sacks = Wilkins or Tyshon Fogg
Most int = K.J. Gray
Most passes defensed = Blessuan Austin
Most tackles for loss = Jon Bateky
Most TDs = Jon Hilliman