ADVERTISEMENT

Washington makes great hire for HC. Arizona's Jedd Fisch.

The nice thing about Schiano — I’d take a decade of 6-6/7-5 versus two years of Jeff Fisch and then going back to being Arizona

Reactions: shields and pmvon
The 1st thing he's got to address is Washington's roster along with portal and HS recruits are getting out of Dodge as fast as their feet can carry them.

One HS recruitin particular wants out of his LOI because he had decommitted from Arizona to sign with Washington lol.

tumblr_ovyc89WNHm1w866tmo1_500.gif

The 1st thing he's got to address is Washington's roster along with portal and HS recruits are getting out of Dodge as fast as their feet can carry them.

One HS recruitin particular wants out of his LOI because he had decommitted from Arizona to sign with Washington lol.

tumblr_ovyc89WNHm1w866tmo1_500.gif
Aren't they Huskies?

Wb6F.gif

Sounds like at least the Arizona Wildcat QB will fill follow Fisch?

74e2555010f96dc133393de10ca93455.gif

Reactions: MADHAT1
The nice thing about Schiano — I’d take a decade of 6-6/7-5 versus two years of Jeff Fisch and then going back to being Arizona
Seriously, you would take a decade of mediocrity over finishing ranked #11 and beating Oklahoma in a bowl game?. What does going back to being Arizona mean? They were awful for a while before Fisch got there, but they also have had 10 game winning seasons under both Dick Tomey and RichRod, so it can be done. It will be interesting to see if the next coach can keep the nucleus of players together, including the QB, because they were on the verge of making a playoff run next year.

Reactions: tomatocan
From Livingston NJ. Did a great job turning AZ around. Would’ve like to bring him home after Greg hangs it up. But it seems like he is already out of our price range.
GS is making 7M/yr. Fisch is 7.75M/yr.

I didn't think Fisch would do well at Arizona and frankly I think most didn't. I'm still somewhat skeptical despite his results there. I think longer track record guys like Leipold and Klieman would have been better options but maybe they didn't want to leave their spots.

Fisch had one really good year but it's hard to know if that was the start of more or a fluke. He hasn't done it anywhere like other possible candidates so we don't know. A longer track record would give a little more assurance but nothing is ever a guarantee.

Also if De Laura doesn't get hurt and let Fifita emerge would the year have gone as good? Sometimes a little luck doesn't hurt but he's a RS freshman so Fisch must've recruited him so he gets credit for that. It'll be a big for UW if Fifita follows him. I'm not even sure they have a qb on the roster right now.

Fisch has been up and down with offenses in his career. Sometimes pretty good and sometimes just okay. He's done well in Arizona though with that. Another example of a productive offense and at least a mediocre defense and you have a chance to make some noise and outperform your status on the landscape. He's suppose to be a good recruiter of the west coast so that's a plus for UW compared to other candidates.

I was glad to learn that Will Rogers (Miss St transfer QB) is leaving as a result of this. Funny because he was actually in uniform on the sidelines for the National Championship. I'm not predicting a win over Washington. But this game has gone from being an automatic loss into maybe a 33% chance we win.

I was glad to learn that Will Rogers (Miss St transfer QB) is leaving as a result of this. Funny because he was actually in uniform on the sidelines for the National Championship. I'm not predicting a win over Washington. But this game has gone from being an automatic loss into maybe a 33% chance we win.
I think it should be quite a bit better than that. Even if DeBoer stayed they were going to have a bunch of roster losses, now it's even more. The game is at RU too.

I think it should be quite a bit better than that. Even if DeBoer stayed they were going to have a bunch of roster losses, now it's even more. The game is at RU too.
They are likely to fill those roster spots with players they poach from a team that finished 11th in the polls and was projected to be a serious playoff contender in 2024.

They are likely to fill those roster spots with players they poach from a team that finished 11th in the polls and was projected to be a serious playoff contender in 2024.
Yea I’m sure they will fill some from Arizona with Fifita being the biggest piece needed. But you can’t assume it’s going to be simple plug and play on the scale that’s probably needed. On a small scale yes but on a larger scale, I don’t take it as a given that it all comes together so quickly.

Yea I’m sure they will fill some from Arizona with Fifita being the biggest piece needed. But you can’t assume it’s going to be simple plug and play on the scale that’s probably needed. On a small scale yes but on a larger scale, I don’t take it as a given that it all comes together so quickly.
First of all the Huskies did bring in a good HC to replace DeBoer, but Jedd Fisch has
to prove he can keep Washington a top program and HIS 2023 Arizona success wasn't
an exception to the rule .
Dick Tomey had two great seasons as the Wildcats HC, but most if his seasons there were
nothing to write home to mother about.
So the question is: could Jedd have sustained the type of season he had in 2023 if he stayed in Arizona for the 2024 season or if 2023 was part skill with a lot of luck .
One great season doesn't make a HC great, just indicated he might be.
I feel he should be given the benefit of doubt that he would have kept the UofA a top program, but mot necessarily be able to keep the Huskies one in 2024.
Player defections and moving into to a new conference that might prove harder to
handle because of travel and unfamiliarity with programs like Michigan, Penn State and Iowa and only home field advantage would be against the Wolverines .
Even Rutgers might be a trap game because the Huskies will be traveling to NJ for the game one week before facing Michigan at home
Fisch doesn't have an easy task if he can't pull talent from the portal for his 2024 Huskie roster

Interesting background. Didn't play high school football and then goes to U of F for criminology to someday work for Steve Spurrier and ends up a pretty good college football coach? Probably would make an interesting documentary.

Fisch grew up in a Jewish family in Livingston, New Jersey and attended Hanover Park High School in nearby East Hanover Township. Fisch did not play football at the high school or college level, but instead was an all-state tennis player during his prep career.

Fisch graduated from the University of Florida in 1998 with a degree in criminology. He attended Florida almost solely for the opportunity to someday work for Florida head coach Steve Spurrier.

Fisch was also college roommates with Philadelphia Eagles general manager Howie Roseman.

Pray Noah Fifita does not follow him to Washington. That kid is absolutely incredible (think Tagavioloa except better). I do not want to see Fifita on the field at Shi stadium next September

Reactions: RUforlife
He probably does though.
With his HC, OC & QB coach headed north, it's hard to think he won't join them and take a chance that Arizona will hire a staff like he had with them .
Also with the Huskie QB situation without a returning starter or backups coming back, he knows the job will be his to lose if he follows them

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT