ADVERTISEMENT

Went to the new Honors College the other night....

Saint Puppy

All Conference
Gold Member
Sep 4, 2013
...and it was beautiful with people living there. Doesn't even seem like Rutgers College when you compare to it to the drab and old architecture of the quad, river dorms, and Brett Hall, Metler, etc.. Really like the direction this college is going in.

It blew me away (and my wife who went to TTFP). We took a walk over last week, nice job Cofifa

Originally the concept was to have all four classes represented with a heavy emphasis in first year students. In fact there was talk that the dormer rooms would be for senior mentors . I believe they were surprised by the quality of the applicants that could be offered spots and that there was a very high acceptance rate of the offers made. So we ended up with all first year students (very very qualified students) I assume the plan is to next year farm them out to Honors College sections of existing dorms, but we will see what the administration does. I suspect that we will see Honors College II at some point, it is already designed for the corner of Bishop and George Street.

Originally the concept was to have all four classes represented with a heavy emphasis in first year students. In fact there was talk that the dormer rooms would be for senior mentors . I believe they were surprised by the quality of the applicants that could be offered spots and that there was a very high acceptance rate of the offers made. So we ended up with all first year students (very very qualified students) I assume the plan is to next year farm them out to Honors College sections of existing dorms, but we will see what the administration does. I suspect that we will see Honors College II at some point, it is already designed for the corner of Bishop and George Street.

Considering the difference in quality between the Honors College and the Honors program floors of the Lynton North Tower, I could see some very disgruntled Sophomores at that downgrade, if that's where they put them.

Reactions: MidwestKnights
...and it was beautiful with people living there. Doesn't even seem like Rutgers College when you compare to it to the drab and old architecture of the quad, river dorms, and Brett Hall, Metler, etc.. Really like the direction this college is going in.
Some of the architecture in Vorhees Mall is beautiful. Murray Hall is stunning. Those buildings just REALLY need renovations. NJ Hall is another building that used to be beautiful but just hasn't been taken care of. After seeing the job Devco has done with the Newark skyscraper, I hope one of their future projects is the restoration of these historic buildings.

Reactions: Saint Puppy
Some of the architecture in Vorhees Mall is beautiful. Murray Hall is stunning. Those buildings just REALLY need renovations. NJ Hall is another building that used to be beautiful but just hasn't been taken care of. After seeing the job Devco has done with the Newark skyscraper, I hope one of their future projects is the restoration of these historic buildings.

Absolutely - wasn't talking about vorhees mall at all- was more talking about the dorms.

Absolutely - wasn't talking about vorhees mall at all- was more talking about the dorms.
Oh OK. I agree. I think what that area needs is better landscaping and stone work. There shouldn't be any asphalt. Demerast, Pell and Wessels etc. definitely have some charm to them. I pretty much think there should be better landscaping and stonework everywhere on college ave though.

The main thing I noticed at Penn State last week (and our visit to Lafayette College on the way home) was the use of red brick for the major walkways through campus. Lafayette College's buildings are beautiful, and Penn State's buildings are mostly undistinguished, but the brick walkways really adds a touch of class to both campuses. Brown brick pathways would look great on the Old Queens and Voorhees campuses, so I would do them firs, then I would add red brick on the rest of College Ave.

-Scarlet Jerry

The main thing I noticed at Penn State last week (and our visit to Lafayette College on the way home) was the use of red brick for the major walkways through campus. Lafayette College's buildings are beautiful, and Penn State's buildings are mostly undistinguished, but the brick walkways really adds a touch of class to both campuses. Brown brick pathways would look great on the Old Queens and Voorhees campuses, so I would do them firs, then I would add red brick on the rest of College Ave.

-Scarlet Jerry

Camden has red brick on some of the streets leading from campus. Although the brick is just a few years old, it looks like hell -- someone insisted on accepting a bid that was cheap and apparently incompetent. Good brick costs money, unfortunately. I don't think there's a chance of a really quality job given RU's budget, and RU would probably encourage a donor to give the money for other causes.

-Scarlet Jerry
Camden has red brick on some of the streets leading from campus. Although the brick is just a few years old, it looks like hell -- someone insisted on accepting a bid that was cheap and apparently incompetent. Good brick costs money, unfortunately. I don't think there's a chance of a really quality job given RU's budget, and RU would probably encourage a donor to give the money for other causes.

I prefer more of a slate-look than all brick for a walkway. And for some of the reasons camdenlawprof mentioned.

When I went to my niece's graduation (Masters in OT) at Scranton this Spring I noticed they had a quite a few of their walkways with that. Looked real nice IMO.

And her dad, my brother in law said a lot of it was a recent upgrade. He also told me when they started looking at colleges about 6 years ago Scranton was the weakest of all the schools in the physical plant and look dept. Granted it is a much smaller school and campus be he said he was pleasantly surprised in all the changes in just the 5 years (BS/MS combined) my niece was there. So was I, as I did not expect it to look as nice as it did.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT