ADVERTISEMENT

We're Going Bowling!!

And, to think, many thought that - based on our schedule (pre-season) - it would be tough to get to a bowl this season (i.e. Northwestern. MSU, etc). Then, the season plays out and, well ... here we are.

And, to think, many thought that - based on our schedule (pre-season) - it would be tough to get to a bowl this season (i.e. Northwestern. MSU, etc). Then, the season plays out and, well ... here we are.
i think most thought Va Tech would be tougher than Northwestern..i still think iowa is our best shot at an upset...

Reactions: Kbee3
i think most thought Va Tech would be tougher than Northwestern..i still think iowa is our best shot at an upset...
I completely agree. Almost to the end of the 3rd quarter and a bad Minnesota team has kept Iowa to 10 points.

Excellent win.
agree playing with house money but lets see what happens at Iowa and vs MD.
please no Detroit or Bronx again…hopefully Nashville or Vegas…

and who have MD those crossover games…Nebby, NW, and Illinois…
too bad we played Wisconsin they way we did and not in Nov with no QB…

Excellent win.
agree playing with house money but lets see what happens at Iowa and vs MD.
please no Detroit or Bronx again…hopefully Nashville or Vegas…

and who have MD those crossover games…Nebby, NW, and Illinois…
too bad we played Wisconsin they way we did and not in Nov with no QB…
That was the difference with Wisconsin although I think Illinois is improving as the season goes on.

No .. we win 1 or 2 more we are in the Las Vegas Bowl or in Florida.
Congratulations Rutgers !!!
I’ve pointed this out a few times…

With where the Pinstripe is in the pecking order along with us not being there yet as a B1G team not sure how we don’t end up there.

And that’s not even factoring the local angle with the Pinstripe will love.

Minny went at 8-4.

Reactions: Pinstripe111323
Hear you/ let Maryland have the local tie-in. lol
Do Bowls still have a say in selecting Teams ?
Looking how many fans Rutgers would bring to an Away Bowl in Florida, Nashville, Las Vegas, etc. vs. a Illinois, Maryland, Minnesota, etc has to have $ome appeal.

• Haha
Hear you/ let Maryland have the local tie-in. lol
Do Bowls still have a say in selecting Teams ?
Looking how many fans Rutgers would bring to an Away Bowl in Florida, Nashville, Las Vegas, etc. vs. a Illinois, Maryland, Minnesota, etc has to have $ome appeal.
You have to look at it from the conference perspective. Nobody else in the 6-7 win range is drawing fans to the pin stripe like we would. Nothing close.

al-bundy-lets-bowl.gif

You have to look at it from the conference perspective. Nobody else in the 6-7 win range is drawing fans to the pin stripe like we would. Nothing close.
Hear you.
How about the B1G Bowls that have strong tie in with local Hotels/Tourism like Nashville, Tampa, Las Vegas, Phoenix, etc. ?? Rutgers brings no fan dollar$ to NYC. Nothing other than ticket sales.. Can only imagine how much more Visitors Dollar$ would bring this Bowl season vs. Maryland, Illinois, Minnesota,etc.

Reactions: redking
Hear you.
How about the B1G Bowls that have strong tie in with local Hotels/Tourism like Nashville, Tampa, Las Vegas, Phoenix, etc. ?? Rutgers brings no fan dollar$ to NYC. Nothing other than ticket sales.. Can only imagine how much more Visitors Dollar$ would bring this Bowl season vs. Maryland, Illinois, Minnesota,etc.
I still think the incentive to fill Yankee stadium is way more than that differential. Fans are excited that we’re making a bowl but it’s not going to be logistically possible for all of them to travel. The reality is the Maryland and Illinois type teams probably have similar numbers in terms of their loyal fan base that will actually pay to travel for these games. Where there is real potential for RU to excel is in the casual fan department (when we were good - we had a following throughout the tri state area). That group are candidates to attend the pin stripe. Not to spend thousands traveling out west.

I'm not sure its that. I think it has more to do with BIG team rotations and bowl tie ins. Iowa, Wisconsin, MSU, Maryland and Minny have all went for successive Pinstripe Bowls. PSU, OSU and Michigan will all likely be going to higher level bowls. That likely leaves Nebraska or Rutgers as next on the Pinstripe rotation list.

I’ve pointed this out a few times…

With where the Pinstripe is in the pecking order along with us not being there yet as a B1G team not sure how we don’t end up there.

And that’s not even factoring the local angle with the Pinstripe will love.

Minny went at 8-4.
Nobody likes going to the Pinstripe.

Reactions: RU#1fan
I mean it’s not great but it sure beats Detroit.

Too much going on in the world to make Detroit a favorable destination
Plus Pinstripe payout is 4.4m vs 2m in Detroit (old Insight Bowl is 1.6)

PAYOUTS

First time in 9 years, apart from the somewhat undeserved Gator Bowl 2 years ago. 6-2 and playing with house money the rest of the year. The defense is clearly a top 25 unit and our running game is getting to that level, I think, and our special teams have been above average (especially the last 2 games), but the passing game needs help for us to finish with better than 6 or maybe 7 wins.

But I'll take it after Flood/Ash destroyed much of what Greg built. Yes, it's taken 4 years, but we were at a nadir reminiscent of what we saw after Shea (although at least we were in the B1G and had decent facilities for Greg 2.0), so it's understandable it took awhile. I'm happy, but not satisifed. Can't wait to go to a bowl again, though.
3.5 years

Hear you.

This is a fair point. I would normally say NYC would be vacation draw but not sure these days.

I still think the incentive to fill Yankee stadium is way more than that differential. Fans are excited that we’re making a bowl but it’s not going to be logistically possible for all of them to travel. The reality is the Maryland and Illinois type teams probably have similar numbers in terms of their loyal fan base that will actually pay to travel for these games. Where there is real potential for RU to excel is in the casual fan department (when we were good - we had a following throughout the tri state area). That group are candidates to attend the pin stripe. Not to spend thousands traveling out west.
You make valid points. Disagree mightily however with your assumption that a Illinois, Maryland, or Minnesota would travel as well as Rutgers to a Bowl game this year in Florida, Nashville, or Vegas. The pent up demand and renewed excitement for RU Football is off the charts. It’s been 9 years since we have been to a Bowl game ( not counting the last minute invite to the Gator Bowl COVID year.. it was empty for both teams ; I was there). The draw of tourist dollars still must mean $omething to the Bowl Officials.

You make valid points. Disagree mightily however with your assumption that a Illinois, Maryland, or Minnesota would travel as well as Rutgers to a Bowl game this year in Florida, Nashville, or Vegas. The pent up demand and renewed excitement for RU Football is off the charts. It’s been 9 years since we have been to a Bowl game ( not counting the last minute invite to the Gator Bowl COVID year.. it was empty for both teams ; I was there). The draw of tourist dollars still must mean $omething to the Bowl Officials.
The difference is that Illinois, Maryland etc will come up and stay in NYC for the festivities before hand like we all do for our non Pinstripe Bowl games. Most of us will drive up the day of the game and go home. The idea with bowl games is for town business make money and extra taxes for the city.
Also Rutgers fans have been there enough already and completely understand it's a terrible venue for a football game.

The difference is that Illinois, Maryland etc will come up and stay in NYC for the festivities before hand like we all do for our non Pinstripe Bowl games. Most of us will drive up the day of the game and go home. The idea with bowl games is for town business make money and extra taxes for the city.
Also Rutgers fans have been there enough already and completely understand it's a terrible venue for a football game.
This 1000%
Illini, Maryland, Minnesota, etc. fans bring Pinstripe Bowl money $$$ into the NYC Tourism coffers… we bring zero $$$ . ( other than the Toll on the George Washington Bridge ). Las Vega$, Na$hville, Cha$e Field -Phoenix should be calling….

Reactions: eddynyse
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT