ADVERTISEMENT

What happened to our defense on Sunday?

Ha ha ha. Building chemistry. Chemistry can’t happen when two guards are primarily interested in getting shots off, shitty shots at that..
You get on Simpson for taking bad shots, but it’s not like we have Steph Curry as an option. I could live with most of his shots. I would like to see him pass more on fast breaks rather than take some of those crazy layups but overall I’m happy we have him.

Reactions: Kbee3
In conclusion: Basketball players are poorly conditioned athletes.
Actually, have a Rutgers basketball experience. Several years ago, went to donate during a blood drive at the RAC. Believe it was in April after Mike Rice got fired. Mike Coburn was a senior & was practicing also. The asst coaches were running the team thru drills. I picked a cot right up against the glass above Sec 118 to get a good view. While sitting at the recovery table & eating some cookies and drinking water, a gentleman introduced himself as someone who worked in the athletic dept administration. As the practice continued, a few guys would break off and go do the steps in the upper level of the arena. Some were basically going thru the motions. I made the comment: "Shouldn't they be running the steps?" The man queried: "Did you ever run steps?" Having been a x-country, indoor and outdoor track guy in high school, I managed a "yes" before my jaw dropped open completely. Practice like a Champion, play like a Champion.

You get on Simpson for taking bad shots, but it’s not like we have Steph Curry as an option. I could live with most of his shots. I would like to see him pass more on fast breaks rather than take some of those crazy layups but overall I’m happy we have him.
Happy we have him on the defensive end, sure. But that's not an excuse for the shot selection on the other end. He doesn't care. It's every man for himself, and since Simpson has the ball in hands the most, well, you see the result. He doesn't distribute. JDavis doesn't either. They could make the other players more productive but usually they don't bother.

We see GG isn't effective at all. As a freshman on this team he doesn't realize cutting to the hoop is a waste of time and energy. He just runs around for no reason. He's only gotten open looks twice on two set inbounds plays. No wonder when he does get it he wants to get a shot. Same with Mag.

I'm repeating myself...but when you see Simpson run out a full 30 sec. without passing our last 1st half possession, which has happened a few times recently, it shows he doesn't give a crap about cohesion. Every possession is important, to our offense especially.

Happy we have him on the defensive end, sure. But that's not an excuse for the shot selection on the other end. He doesn't care. It's every man for himself, and since Simpson has the ball in hands the most, well, you see the result. He doesn't distribute. JDavis doesn't either. They could make the other players more productive but usually they don't bother.

We see GG isn't effective at all. As a freshman on this team he doesn't realize cutting to the hoop is a waste of time and energy. He just runs around for no reason. He's only gotten open looks twice on two set inbounds plays. No wonder when he does get it he wants to get a shot. Same with Mag.

I'm repeating myself...but when you see Simpson run out a full 30 sec. without passing our last 1st half possession, which has happened a few times recently, it shows he doesn't give a crap about cohesion. Every possession is important, to our offense especially.
And yet Simpson was leading the team in assist % by a large margin until J Will was mixed in. Per 100 possessions onSimoson shoots less and only averages 1 assist less than J Will does, yet everyone loves him. J Will might not even be a better shooter.

Simpson seems to be playing the exact way Pike wants as he is averaging more minutes than anyone on team

Can someone with technical basketball knowledge explain why it was so bad after being elite for a number of games prior?
Any team is going to have its A game nights and D game nights. If we had this team all season, we'd be in the tourney. But digging out of such a big hole, this team can't afford any D game nights. But that's not a realistic expectation.

With maturity, the shots will eventually fall for Simpson, JMike and Gavin.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT