ADVERTISEMENT

What is the construction trend across the country?

John Otterstedt

Hall of Famer
Jul 10, 2001
As I was driving around Livingston yesterday, I had two thoughts:
1) The campus (particularly near the RAC) looks way better than when I was a student.
2) Within 10 years, the "new" buildings will look dated.

I have always thought that the best bang for the buck is to go with the traditional style of architecture. I am not a fan of modern architecture, as it looks dated quickly in my opinion.

Does anyone know what the trend is across the country? Also, when a school that already has a traditional style of architecture builds new buildings, do they tend to stick with their traditional style, or do they modernize the look?

Originally posted by John Otterstedt:
As I was driving around Livingston yesterday, I had two thoughts:
1) The campus (particularly near the RAC) looks way better than when I was a student.
2) Within 10 years, the "new" buildings will look dated.

I have always thought that the best bang for the buck is to go with the traditional style of architecture. I am not a fan of modern architecture, as it looks dated quickly in my opinion.

Does anyone know what the trend is across the country? Also, when a school that already has a traditional style of architecture builds new buildings, do they tend to stick with their traditional style, or do they modernize the look?
Just a point - all traditional architecture at some point was modern. Even the federalist architecture that we seem to want now on campus was modern at some point.

And of course all modern architecture looks dated - that's how things are on the cutting edge. Its like I always say with our uniforms - if our goal with them is to look cool, then they will need to change every couple of years because whats cool changes with every incoming classes by a little bit.

The real issue I don't think is modern architecture, so much as just cookie cutter. I think the modernist Livingston Business building will still be interesting to look at 50 years from now, whereas the apartments across the street from it, while less modern, will still be more boring - a large chain hotel building on a college campus.

Certainly on College Ave, the historic heart of RU, it makes more sense to play to historical allusions to the Federal style that was prevalent at the time of the universities founding. And on Cook/Douglas, modern building will look more out of place (as would tall buildings) due to the subu

lol @ Hotel chain. they do look like part of a hotel chain or conference center complex but not the cheap stucco covered, cheap let's-make-a-quick-buck-and-skimp-on-quality kind but rather the non assuming, solid but bland kind that would look better with ivy on the walls surrounded by larger trees. The Business Building will still be a stunner in 50 years to those who have never seen it unless they build something around it that makes it seem like the status quo. it's a great looking building IMHO

Originally posted by Korbermeister:
lol @ Hotel chain. they do look like part of a hotel chain or conference center complex but not the cheap stucco covered, cheap let's-make-a-quick-buck-and-skimp-on-quality kind but rather the non assuming, solid but bland kind that would look better with ivy on the walls surrounded by larger trees. The Business Building will still be a stunner in 50 years to those who have never seen it unless they build something around it that makes it seem like the status quo. it's a great looking building IMHO
No, I agree - its not like its a Motel 6, just that its kind of bland and un assuming (and well, looks like a chain hotel.) I feel the same way about Lot 8 - the preliminary drawings dont scream college campus to me, they basically look like they could be a condo complex in any city in America that is working on reurbanizing. Not ugly - just there.

Compare that to Livingston Business (and business schools generally seem to go pretty crazy) as far as modern, but also the newest Busch Dorms, or the College Ave Honors College - which are both more interesting than either Lot 8 or the Livingston and more collegiate, less corporate looking to me.

Its all still better than the post-war crap they built most of the campus in - brown brick boxes with no ornamentation. Surplus chic.

Originally posted by derleider:

No, I agree - its not like its a Motel 6, just that its kind of bland and un assuming (and well, looks like a chain hotel.) I feel the same way about Lot 8 - the preliminary drawings dont scream college campus to me, they basically look like they could be a condo complex in any city in America that is working on reurbanizing. Not ugly - just there.

Compare that to Livingston Business (and business schools generally seem to go pretty crazy) as far as modern, but also the newest Busch Dorms, or the College Ave Honors College - which are both more interesting than either Lot 8 or the Livingston and more collegiate, less corporate looking to me.

Its all still better than the post-war crap they built most of the campus in - brown brick boxes with no ornamentation. Surplus chic.
Totally agree. And it's funny how much hand wringing there was over the new B-School when the renderings were released. As it played out, it is one of the more interesting college buildings in the country. And anecdotally, the building is almost always a topic of conversation among visiting recruiters, professors or professionals (and even visiting football fans who park at the RAC).

Originally posted by ruhudsonfan:

Originally posted by derleider:

Totally agree. And it's funny how much hand wringing there was over the new B-School when the renderings were released. As it played out, it is one of the more interesting college buildings in the country. And anecdotally, the building is almost always a topic of conversation among visiting recruiters, professors or professionals (and even visiting football fans who park at the RAC).
While I agree with the bolded, anything would be considered "interesting" when you park it next to the RAC.

Powerwash, some paint and a few more lights on the exterior. That's all it needs for now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT