ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 15 INDIANA: Hoosier Soup for the Soul

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
I am not mad that Indiana played like complete ass. This was as much of a must win for Rutgers this early in the conference season as you are going to get. And truthfully Rutgers was pretty shaky in this game but got it done. Like throwing in a whole bunch of stuff in the crockpot, it may not look too appetizing while it is cooking but when it is done, you can sit down and have a nice hearty savor comforting feed. Not just a good meal for the fans, but the program desperately was in need of this chicken soup for its soul. Rutgers came into this game with a 4 game Big 10 RAC losing streak and none of them were all that competitive. If there was ever one school to provide the elixir for Rutgers psyche, its Indiana. Hoosier Daddy indeed! Rutgers defeated Indiana for the 7th time in the last 8 meeting.

Right from the get go, neither team played at a high level. Indiana turned it over a whopping 11 times in the first half even as they shot nearly 50%. RU struggled mightily shooting the rock yet again. The Knights barely shot over 34% missing a ton of bunnies. Another 5 minute drought of just 2 points was offset by an Indiana dry spell of 6 minutes. Some of that simple Indiana ineptitude, some of it RU showing some pulse on defense. What at least was good to see was that Rutgers was actually competing. When Indiana went up 7, RU hung in there. They looked like they belonged on the same court with their opponent. The switch of Austin Williams into the starting lineup over Fernandes showed signs of working and it would pay dividends in the 2nd half. An unlikely bank shot 3 by Derek at the buzzer gave RU a 3 point lead and a bit of momentum heading into the lockerroom

After trading some baskets for the first 7 minutes or so, there was a key juncture in the game. It did not pay dividends at first but to me just one those brief flashes where RU did something well and executed. A miss by Wolf for a layup but the ball rolled to J Mike all alone on the 3 point line and he drained it which gave RU its biggest lead at 39-33. Good job by J Mike hitting that shot as he hasnt been all that good from the outside. What would come next was a game changer. Luckily justice prevailed. Cheap shot artist Xavier Johnson with a nasty blow I believe to Wolfs midsection... WAIT IT WAS HIS JEWELS did not appear to be called, it appeared the refs were going to call the hard retaliatory shove by Wolf. As it turned out the refs called a Flagrant 2 on Johnson and he was tossed. Being their best ball handler and perhaps shooter, it was a major loss. More importantly RU showed some needed toughness there. Wolf missed the free throws but from there RU slowly but surely put an iron claw on the Hoosiers leading to a slow but eventual knockout. Rutgers was go on a 12-0 run over 6 minutes to build a 51-38 lead. So good to see good things happen and RU keep its heading down and sticking to its task. Indiana would commit all kinds of turnover, missed free throws and bricks. For all intents in purposes RU build enough cushion to coast from there. Yeah it wasnt a pretty close and some in the game thread got nervous as Indiana sliced the lead to 6 but much like the SHU game, Rutgers stepped it up at the line and closed it out.

Do not sleep on this game. Yes overall not pretty but this was a team desperately needing to win. They did not win by accident either. Rutgers was/is the better team than Indiana. Consider RU shot just a paltry 32% and another ugly night from 3 at 5-22 and still won comfortably. RU was just so so at the line at 19-28 for 68% but made them when it counted at the end making 10 of their last 12. Do not disregard that. Rutgers was superb on the boards vs a team that had some size. 51-40 in favor of RU including a rousing 19-8 offensively. Makes quite a difference when you limit your foes to one and out and able to get 7 more shots attempts. Game had some similarities to the SHU win in that was close early and then RU started to pull away. Solid defense combined with Indiana/SHU shooting poorly and then staving off a late rally but successfully closing it out. That game RU shot the 3 ball at a 50% so its a plus tonight to see them win while shooting ugly yet again

Peeps here have been calling for more Austin Williams. Personally I was not necessarily sure that his role off the bench would translate to him as a starter but I pleasantly surprised. Austin bringing that bit of spark and headiness into driving into the paint giving RU a little diversity from the outside shooting. Austin would have an impressive game with 10 points on 5-9fg, 6 boards and two turnovers in 24 minutes. RU would put 5 guys in double figures led by Mawot Mag's 13. Don't look Mag but Mag is playing 34 minutes so that just speaks volumes to his committment to this team and to Pike simply knowing how important he is. Again not sure I like him taking 12 shots (4-12 overall) but until we get more consistency from the guards, not sure we have a choice. Mag also brought down 8 boards, 3 steals and had a team leading 4 assists. To me an incredible sneaky good game and do not discount how he is leading by example for the others right now but contributing in every way. Not particular active this game shooting, Hyatt still comes in with 12 points and 6 boards and nailed his free throws in the stretch. This is the kind of Hyatt I like, unfortunately I do think in most games we unfairly need him to do more. Not his fault at all, its just how limited we are. J Mike continues to impress me. Just 21 minutes but 10 points on 4-9 fg shooting but a nifty 6 boards. Too many turnovers at 4 tonight but overall love his progress and how comfortable he looked and yes that knock down 3 was a beauty. Cliff played a great defensive game against a much thicker player. A key block late among 5 blocks tonight. 11 boards in 32 minutes and yeah just 2-7 fg shooting so more of the same struggles offensively but I am just happy that Cliff got back to being a presence on defense and outplaying his man with tough defense. Derek...sigh...he got to 10 points and hit that big 3 before half but 2-13 fg shooting is not going to get it done. Makes two games in a row after that one breakout game where he has struggled to hit much. Seemingly a lid on the basket. Not sure if the answer there is to keep shooting. Wolf just two points in 9 minutes with 4 fouls but he was in on the two big key plays in the half and love the shove to Xaviers throat. Oskar certainly played his role today, 9 minutes, 2 points, 3 boards. Do not need him to do more than that. Unfortunately he got more time than Gavin who was simply a horror show. Just 5 minutes, 2 shot attempts, one a brick, the other and airball and back to the bench he went. I am more than concerned right now because he is becoming so bad right now that he cannot even give minutes. Noah went from starting and playing over 30 minutes to just 10 tonight. He was a non factor on the stat sheet and have no idea how he took his demotion or what is going to happen going forward.

Initially after the game, I seemed less impressed but as I got into this review and looked through the stats, I am not negative at all. Eat up that soup. Feed the soul. RU shed their soft persona at least for one night showing toughness and giving the RAC crowd something to cheer about. Tonight does not move my needle on where I think the season falls but its great to see the team bounce back, build and see that if they work hard and stick to it, they can do good things. Did not make the game and while I could have easily got there, from the torrential rains and winds that came through in the last 90 minutes, looks like I made the right decision. RAC sounded great and looked like a pretty good crowd and hope everyone who braved the conditions got home safely and will continue to be safe tomorrow as the waters rise around us.

Onto Michigan State, a tough one for sure after they got beat up in their last game but I expect RU to compete and then we shall see if RU is up for a potentially NCAA bound Nebraska next week back at the RAC

Last edited:
Depends which MSU shows up. They absolutely dismantled a very good Baylor. I don't like they are coming off a loss
They play Illinois Thursday so another potential loss and RU more prep time. Maybe we finally shoot well...

I couldn't see it clearly but was it the jewels?
It was a forearm upper cut type motion all the way between his groin and then raked his hand back through. Completely molested

An ugly game and an ugly commute.

Indiana shot 4-15 from the FT line and shot too many air balls to remember. Lord they looked awful and thank goodness we have their number !

Kudos to Austin Williams who had another solid game and a nice solid game from Cliff.

Great defensive effort!

Good to get off the Schneid but many warts with squad still exist and linger !

Last edited:
Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
I thought the energy level was really encouraging, watching back the NBC highlights and the team was AMPED during that 12-0 run

Reactions: BillyC80
I am not mad that Indiana played like complete ass. This was as much of a must win for Rutgers this early in the conference season as you are going to get. And truthfully Rutgers was pretty shaky in this game but got it done. Like throwing in a whole bunch of stuff in the crockpot, it may not look too appetizing while it is cooking but when it is done, you can sit down and have a nice hearty savor comforting feed. Not just a good meal for the fans, but the program desperately was in need of this chicken soup for its soul. Rutgers came into this game with a 4 game Big 10 RAC losing streak and none of them were all that competitive. If there was ever one school to provide the elixir for Rutgers psyche, its Indiana. Hoosier Daddy indeed! Rutgers defeated Indiana for the 7th time in the last 8 meeting.

Right from the get go, neither team played at a high level. Indiana turned it over a whopping 11 times in the first half even as they shot nearly 50%. RU struggled mightily shooting the rock yet again. The Knights barely shot over 34% missing a ton of bunnies. Another 5 minute drought of just 2 points was offset by an Indiana dry spell of 6 minutes. Some of that simple Indiana ineptitude, some of it RU showing some pulse on defense. What at least was good to see was that Rutgers was actually competing. When Indiana went up 7, RU hung in there. They looked like they belonged on the same court with their opponent. The switch of Austin Williams into the starting lineup over Fernandes showed signs of working and it would pay dividends in the 2nd half. An unlikely bank shot 3 by Derek at the buzzer gave RU a 3 point lead and a bit of momentum heading into the lockerroom

After trading some baskets for the first 7 minutes or so, there was a key juncture in the game. It did not pay dividends at first but to me just one those brief flashes where RU did something well and executed. A miss by Wolf for a layup but the ball rolled to J Mike all alone on the 3 point line and he drained it which gave RU its biggest lead at 39-33. Good job by J Mike hitting that shot as he hasnt been all that good from the outside. What would come next was a game changer. Luckily justice prevailed. Cheap shot artist Xavier Johnson with a nasty blow I believe to Wolfs midsection... WAIT IT WAS HIS JEWELS did not appear to be called, it appeared the refs were going to call the hard retaliatory shove by Wolf. As it turned out the refs called a Flagrant 2 on Johnson and he was tossed. Being their best ball handler and perhaps shooter, it was a major loss. More importantly RU showed some needed toughness there. Wolf missed the free throws but from there RU slowly but surely put an iron claw on the Hoosiers leading to a slow but eventual knockout. Rutgers was go on a 12-0 run over 6 minutes to build a 51-38 lead. So good to see good things happen and RU keep its heading down and sticking to its task. Indiana would commit all kinds of turnover, missed free throws and bricks. For all intents in purposes RU build enough cushion to coast from there. Yeah it wasnt a pretty close and some in the game thread got nervous as Indiana sliced the lead to 6 but much like the SHU game, Rutgers stepped it up at the line and closed it out.

Do not sleep on this game. Yes overall not pretty but this was a team desperately needing to win. They did not win by accident either. Rutgers was/is the better team than Indiana. Consider RU shot just a paltry 32% and another ugly night from 3 at 5-22 and still won comfortably. RU was just so so at the line at 19-28 for 68% but made them when it counted at the end making 10 of their last 12. Do not disregard that. Rutgers was superb on the boards vs a team that had some size. 51-40 in favor of RU including a rousing 19-8 offensively. Makes quite a difference when you limit your foes to one and out and able to get 7 more shots attempts. Game had some similarities to the SHU win in that was close early and then RU started to pull away. Solid defense combined with Indiana/SHU shooting poorly and then staving off a late rally but successfully closing it out. That game RU shot the 3 ball at a 50% so its a plus tonight to see them win while shooting ugly yet again

Peeps here have been calling for more Austin Williams. Personally I was not necessarily sure that his role off the bench would translate to him as a starter but I pleasantly surprised. Austin bringing that bit of spark and headiness into driving into the paint giving RU a little diversity from the outside shooting. Austin would have an impressive game with 10 points on 5-9fg, 6 boards and two turnovers in 24 minutes. RU would put 5 guys in double figures led by Mawot Mag's 13. Don't look Mag but Mag is playing 34 minutes so that just speaks volumes to his committment to this team and to Pike simply knowing how important he is. Again not sure I like him taking 12 shots (4-12 overall) but until we get more consistency from the guards, not sure we have a choice. Mag also brought down 8 boards, 3 steals and had a team leading 4 assists. To me an incredible sneaky good game and do not discount how he is leading by example for the others right now but contributing in every way. Not particular active this game shooting, Hyatt still comes in with 12 points and 6 boards and nailed his free throws in the stretch. This is the kind of Hyatt I like, unfortunately I do think in most games we unfairly need him to do more. Not his fault at all, its just how limited we are. J Mike continues to impress me. Just 21 minutes but 10 points on 4-9 fg shooting but a nifty 6 boards. Too many turnovers at 4 tonight but overall love his progress and how comfortable he looked and yes that knock down 3 was a beauty. Cliff played a great defensive game against a much thicker player. A key block late among 5 blocks tonight. 11 boards in 32 minutes and yeah just 2-7 fg shooting so more of the same struggles offensively but I am just happy that Cliff got back to being a presence on defense and outplaying his man with tough defense. Derek...sigh...he got to 10 points and hit that big 3 before half but 2-13 fg shooting is not going to get it done. Makes two games in a row after that one breakout game where he has struggled to hit much. Seemingly a lid on the basket. Not sure if the answer there is to keep shooting. Wolf just two points in 9 minutes with 4 fouls but he was in on the two big key plays in the half and love the shove to Xaviers throat. Oskar certainly played his role today, 9 minutes, 2 points, 3 boards. Do not need him to do more than that. Unfortunately he got more time than Gavin who was simply a horror show. Just 5 minutes, 2 shot attempts, one a brick, the other and airball and back to the bench he went. I am more than concerned right now because he is becoming so bad right now that he cannot even give minutes. Noah went from starting and playing over 30 minutes to just 10 tonight. He was a non factor on the stat sheet and have no idea how he took his demotion or what is going to happen going forward.

Initially after the game, I seemed less impressed but as I got into this review and looked through the stats, I am not negative at all. Eat up that soup. Feed the soul. RU shed their soft persona at least for one night showing toughness and giving the RAC crowd something to cheer about. Tonight does not move my needle on where I think the season falls but its great to see the team bounce back, build and see that if they work hard and stick to it, they can do good things. Did not make the game and while I could have easily got there, from the torrential rains and winds that came through in the last 90 minutes, looks like I made the right decision. RAC sounded great and looked like a pretty good crowd and hope everyone who braved the conditions got home safely and will continue to be safe tomorrow as the waters rise around us.

Onto Michigan State, a tough one for sure after they got beat up in their last game but I expect RU to compete and then we shall see if RU is up for a potentially NCAA bound Nebraska next week back at the RAC
Indiana went four of 15 from the line. This game does not make me feel good at all.

Indiana went four of 15 from the line. This game does not make me feel good at all.
Some reasons to be positive...

- Rutgers is getting back to it's identity of playing hard
- Rebounding has turned around drastically
- Cliff rebounding and blocking shots
- Williams giving size strength toughness etc
- Davis energy and spark
- Mag doing a bit of everything
- Team getting healthier
- Rotation improved with Noah and Gavin playing less

To me a negative is a positive.

We won despite a really bad offensive game from Derek and Cliff and poor shooting overall.

Cliff made up for it with defense and Derek came in calmed us down after JaMike was shaky downntge stretch

I know i am a broken record……every possession is important. We need to win games. Gavin is a train wreck on D and now he actually hurts us on offense.

Reactions: ILikePike
Some reasons to be positive...

- Rutgers is getting back to it's identity of playing hard
- Rebounding has turned around drastically
- Cliff rebounding and blocking shots
- Williams giving size strength toughness etc
- Davis energy and spark
- Mag doing a bit of everything
- Team getting healthier
- Rotation improved with Noah and Gavin playing less
All good things.

Reactions: Scangg
Loved what Williams brought today. More size, more energy, aggressive to the hoop, and good efficiency.

Sets with Davis/Fernandes don't work.

Griffiths looks completely lost out there. He's clearly overthinking every move he makes defensively, and he seems to have a hair trigger as soon as he gets the ball offensively. The game hasn't slowed down for him yet, and he's completely out of rhythym.

Simpson was Simpson tonight, the highs and the lows.

Omoruyi was great defensively, but I agree with the commentators that our guards need to get him more involved in the offense.

Loved what Williams brought today. More size, more energy, aggressive to the hoop, and good efficiency.

Griffiths looks completely lost out there. He's clearly overthinking every move he makes defensively, and he seems to have a hair trigger as soon as he gets the ball offensively. The game hasn't slowed down for him yet, and he's completely out of rhythym.

Omoruyi was great defensively, but I agree with the commentators that our guards need to get him more involved in the offense.
they ran the pick and roll once where Cliff rolled to the hoop and was open but JMike didn’t lob him the ball and instead pulled up in the paint. We don’t have any guards that can make the play now.

Last edited:
When we aren't doing well, I don't pay much attention to the sport, so I had zero idea IU was 3-1 in the B1G heading into this game, which is pretty good, even if their wins weren't against the best B1G teams. Great effort, great teamwork, great win tonight. Nice to see for a change and would be nice if we can build off this and not be a bottom 4 team this year.

vince mcmahon sport GIF by WWE

• Haha
Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
The recap really didn't cover the scrappy nature of how RU played vs Indiana.....I think after 6 or 7 games or matchups, Pike and Knight know how to attack Indiana and simply doesn't have the same success vs an Iowa.

The Simpson dilemma is very interesting to see but when you're playing against bigger, stronger guards, it's very taxing on him to try and continue to battle for rebounds and then ask him to shoot a high enough percentage on offense. He needs strength in hopes that it doesn't take away his burst or quickness. Davis also is wiry and his burst created enough space to find shots.

Noah isn't moving fast enough or playing with the willingness to shoot, so he can offset his time on defense.

The Austin Williams addition is kinda surprising but in a way, it's not. In a slower paced, rock fight type of game, he's strong and sturdy enough to "jump stop", which allows him to score inside. He is not relying on his quickness to outrun and then toss up a wild layup attempt like Simpson and Davis can....Davis made his, because he's a half a second faster than Simpson AND his HS tape translates to this level......he makes difficult shot attempts because he's used to competing against bigger faster kids.

How does the staff sort out what to do with Griffiths AND how does RU make up the difference?? It allows Mag to continue to shoot.

Mag has finally embraced the role of not just being the 4th or 5th scoring option, he's pushing himself to take uncomfortable shots that are "not good shots"......BUT, the actual answer is they are good shots to me, because he's allowed the freedom to take them.....

Pike is such a good coach folks....the knocks on offense are so stupid, anyone watching these games, sees the players getting clean looks or attacking available lanes or gaps, it just lacks the talent to hit enough of these shots.

Davis, Simpson and now Mag, are attacking and taking tough shots.....and as they get used to taking these shots, they will all improve as the year progresses.

The death knell of this season would continue to play station to station basketball and trying to find shots for Hyatt or dumping the ball to Cliff. Pike sees what I see.....defenses aren't going to give Hyatt open looks in half court, so it allows the freedom for the guards to create, drive and kick and find shots for Mag, Hyatt and maybe Austin Williams too.

It bears repeating for those obsessed with stats and assists totals or whether we get Cliff this or that. The guards have to put on tape, that they're willing shooters and scorers to help Hyatt and Cliff. They're doing that and the pace of play, allowed RU to win comfortably.

If RU can play at this pace and knock down 2 more shots a game, the defense with Cliff should result in wins. We won with 2-13, from Simpson and 4-12 from Mag.....and I'm fine with 90% of the shots they took.

A missed shot is better than a turnover, by overpassing or trying to force the ball to Cliff.

A missed shot can result in an offensive rebound, which is better than overpassing into a turnover.

RU with a couple of made bunnies, probably gets to 70 points and that will travel and certainly work at the RAC most nights.

Staying aggressive and letting the guards play loose and free, will payoff down the road.

Derek’s woeful shooting is a mystery. His stroke looks very sound at the free-throw line. I think it’s more about him being out of control a lot and not steadying himself before he shoots. He needs to calm down and be more composed.

He’s heady enough to understand that our guards need to get into the paint and not just hoist a wild shot (Derek) but kick to an open man or compose himself and go strong to the hoop.

The recap really didn't cover the scrappy nature of how RU played vs Indiana.....I think after 6 or 7 games or matchups, Pike and Knight know how to attack Indiana and simply doesn't have the same success vs an Iowa.

The Simpson dilemma is very interesting to see but when you're playing against bigger, stronger guards, it's very taxing on him to try and continue to battle for rebounds and then ask him to shoot a high enough percentage on offense. He needs strength in hopes that it doesn't take away his burst or quickness. Davis also is wiry and his burst created enough space to find shots.

Noah isn't moving fast enough or playing with the willingness to shoot, so he can offset his time on defense.

The Austin Williams addition is kinda surprising but in a way, it's not. In a slower paced, rock fight type of game, he's strong and sturdy enough to "jump stop", which allows him to score inside. He is not relying on his quickness to outrun and then toss up a wild layup attempt like Simpson and Davis can....Davis made his, because he's a half a second faster than Simpson AND his HS tape translates to this level......he makes difficult shot attempts because he's used to competing against bigger faster kids.

How does the staff sort out what to do with Griffiths AND how does RU make up the difference?? It allows Mag to continue to shoot.

Mag has finally embraced the role of not just being the 4th or 5th scoring option, he's pushing himself to take uncomfortable shots that are "not good shots"......BUT, the actual answer is they are good shots to me, because he's allowed the freedom to take them.....

Pike is such a good coach folks....the knocks on offense are so stupid, anyone watching these games, sees the players getting clean looks or attacking available lanes or gaps, it just lacks the talent to hit enough of these shots.

Davis, Simpson and now Mag, are attacking and taking tough shots.....and as they get used to taking these shots, they will all improve as the year progresses.

The death knell of this season would continue to play station to station basketball and trying to find shots for Hyatt or dumping the ball to Cliff. Pike sees what I see.....defenses aren't going to give Hyatt open looks in half court, so it allows the freedom for the guards to create, drive and kick and find shots for Mag, Hyatt and maybe Austin Williams too.

It bears repeating for those obsessed with stats and assists totals or whether we get Cliff this or that. The guards have to put on tape, that they're willing shooters and scorers to help Hyatt and Cliff. They're doing that and the pace of play, allowed RU to win comfortably.

If RU can play at this pace and knock down 2 more shots a game, the defense with Cliff should result in wins. We won with 2-13, from Simpson and 4-12 from Mag.....and I'm fine with 90% of the shots they took.

A missed shot is better than a turnover, by overpassing or trying to force the ball to Cliff.

A missed shot can result in an offensive rebound, which is better than overpassing into a turnover.

RU with a couple of made bunnies, probably gets to 70 points and that will travel and certainly work at the RAC most nights.

Staying aggressive and letting the guards play loose and free, will payoff down the road.

Tell you what - how about the next time you start a 5 paragraph string about how Simpson needs to drive more, we just re-direct you to a link of this game? The midrange may not be a high percentage shot in general but he personally makes more of those. He’s not fast or strong enough to avoid getting blocked at the rim. Now that we’re showing signs of life on the glass its even more harmful.

Interesting comment by Bardo when Mag went glass on that short jumper in the second half. Called it “old school…” Sorry but that is a lost art in today’s game. More kids should embrace that and they’d be more successful on that short to medium jumper.

I’ve been calling to shrink the rotation for 2 weeks. Taking Gavin out of it though isn’t the correct way to do it though. He only got 5 minutes last night. I’d take minutes from Derek especially during a game last night when outside of a banked 3 and FTs at the end, he wasn’t very good (2-13). If Gavin is given the leash to take 13 shots I feel confident he could hit more than 2.

Despite having size Indiana apparently sucks at rebounding so if were just this game I’d discount it but we rebounded very well against OSU and Iowa as well.

Michigan State is much better than their record and will be an extremely difficult game to win and a big win if we can do it.

Don’t want to spoil the party but this game did next to nothing to change my outlook for the season. We were bad for the most part and IU was brutal. I kept thinking the game would have been a better watch if played outside last night.

Austin Williams seems like a guy who could thrive in a game like that. Can only imagine the tone on the IU message boards.

I’ve been calling to shrink the rotation for 2 weeks. Taking Gavin out of it though isn’t the correct way to do it though. He only got 5 minutes last night. I’d take minutes from Derek especially during a game last night when outside of a banked 3 and FTs at the end, he wasn’t very good (2-13). If Gavin is given the leash to take 13 shots I feel confident he could hit more than 2.
Do you realize how bad he has been and how important every possession is?

He needs to be a major plus on O to justify playing him.

We are in a major Divison 1 conference and have no " go to guy "...We have a bunch of role players.....Cliff should be our 20pt scorer...But we all know the reality of his offensive game....We will have to scrap and claw to get wins....Is what it is..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT