ADVERTISEMENT

An Admission/Confession

Here's the biggest thing you missed OP;
When players in the NCAA went up for
A layup, mid range jumper or 3 point attempt
& the ball left their hands, there was an expected "made feeling" vs a "cringe feeling" I had during our season

Was waiting for your response, love the emoji response. I will now follow my own advice and use my ignore feature.
You should use ignore.

Everyone who is competent enough to follow this team and coach knows we need changes on the offensive side. It is obvious. Clearly Pike knew we needed to upgrade the talent first and foremost and that is what he has done with the incoming freshman class. You can have the best philosophy you want and get players open but as we all saw this last season it doesn’t matter if you cannot hit the open shot.

The difference here is YOU. You approach every thread with the same nonsense of how great Hurley is and how bad Pike is. We get it. If you like Hurley so much than go root for his team.

Very hard to compare a NBA talent level team to one we had. Our offense would look a lot better if we had that talent and we saw that at times(SHU/Whisky) when we were more efficient.

You can go compare Pike to any other coach out there and we are not that much different in our offensive approach than most. Just looks worse with talent AND low bball IQ players.

So again take your talents to a different message board

And better coached, better schemed, better chemistry better everything including Heart!
So if Noah Fernandes went to UConn he’d play like Cam and vice versa?

You ignore the fact that Spencer’s statistics were the same here as at Yukon, and continue to attribute the quality of his play to coaching. That is far from “truth”.

Karl-Anthony Towns averaged 10 points a game at Kentucky. Nevertheless, NBA scouts were impressed. Karl-Anthony was drafted #1.
What's your point? Towns was expected to go that high. All I said is Cam hasn't changed his stats and everyone wants to praise Hurley and bash Pike. No comparison in roster make up. Cam won't be a 1st round pick. So I still don't understand your point.

You ignore the fact that Spencer’s statistics were the same here as at Yukon, and continue to attribute the quality of his play to coaching. That is far from “truth”.
I think this has been addressed by fan 4 and koko
Go RU

The UConn team has size, shooters, guys who actually can make free throws and layups. The tall kid with the mouthpiece is ok… what’s his name Clignon from Star Trek?

Nah his stats are slightly better than last year but nice try at trying to minimize what he's accomplished this year.

Factor in that he's playing with elite players all around him and he was their 2nd leading scorer while increasing his rebounds, assists and shooting %s. He's also put himself into the NBA draft discussion due to the year he's had and all his intangibles.

The guy earned the NIL money they offered him and then some.

He has continued to improve this year.

Per 100 possessions:
2022-23: 25.3 pts (.453 2P%, .434 3P%, .894 FT%), .550 eFG%, 7.3 rb, 5.9 ast, 3.9 stl, 2.6 tov, 3.6 pf
2023-24: 26.5 pts (.541 2P%, .443 3P%, .911 FT%), .611 eFG%, 8.8 rb, 6.7 ast, 2.7 stl, 1.8 tov, 3.9 pf

He has continued to improve this year.

Per 100 possessions:
2022-23: 25.3 pts (.453 2P%, .434 3P%, .894 FT%), .550 eFG%, 7.3 rb, 5.9 ast, 3.9 stl, 2.6 tov, 3.6 pf
2023-24: 26.5 pts (.541 2P%, .443 3P%, .911 FT%), .611 eFG%, 8.8 rb, 6.7 ast, 2.7 stl, 1.8 tov, 3.9 pf
Those are extremely marginal gains. and to the extent that they are significant, which they aren’t, it’s just as easily explained by the surrounding cast as by a complicated coaching scheme.

What's your point? Towns was expected to go that high. All I said is Cam hasn't changed his stats and everyone wants to praise Hurley and bash Pike. No comparison in roster make up. Cam won't be a 1st round pick. So I still don't understand your point.
My point is Cam's NBA potential involves more than his scoring average and his stats at UConn versus Rutgers.

When Cam entered the portal, many TKR posters began bashing Cam, stating Gavin and even Noah would make up for Cam's production. Less than a year later, Cam is appearing on NBA mock draft boards.

Here are some examples:

"RU already added Noah and Gavin. That makes this a better shooting team than last year already. Simpson should shoot better too"
"Gavin will easily replace Cams scoring output"
"Griffith will take those minutes easily and then you guys will not even miss Cam"

To be sure, other TKR posters demonstrated higher basketball IQs:

"Spencer for us is close to irreplaceable someone who actually shot over 40% from 3"
"zero chance Griffiths steps in as a true frosh and completely replaces Cam"

Those are extremely marginal gains. and to the extent that they are significant, which they aren’t, it’s just as easily explained by the surrounding cast as by a complicated coaching scheme.
Marginal is correct. No one wants to admit you'll look better on a better team. Winning fixes everything. This is not a knock on Cam as a player, although he was a pos for how he left. But stop with the he's better at UConn than here because of Hurley and Pike sucks lol.

Hurley is a good coach… not great level yet but he did learn from a pretty good HOF coach in his dad. He recruits well , UConn basketball ( men’s and ladies) programs are a reflection of getting the right coach. Can not deny they have sustained a winning sport and support them very well.

Going from .550 eFG% to .611 as a guard is pretty impressive, tbh, especially when # of shots didn't decrease much (19.1 to 18.5 per 100 possessions). I don't know if Rutgers has ever had a guard with an eFG% that high.

The surrounding cast definitely helps, though - he gets more open looks because there are other threats. An argument can also be made that non-UConn Big East defenses this year were slightly worse than non-Rutgers Big Ten defenses last year.

But he had a very strong year last year... and built on it to get even better, rather than regressing. Can't take that away from him.

My point is Cam's NBA potential involves more than his scoring average and his stats at UConn versus Rutgers.

When Cam entered the portal, many TKR posters began bashing Cam, stating Gavin and even Noah would make up for Cam's production. Less than a year later, Cam is appearing on NBA mock draft boards.

Here are some examples:

"RU already added Noah and Gavin. That makes this a better shooting team than last year already. Simpson should shoot better too"
"Gavin will easily replace Cams scoring output"
"Griffith will take those minutes easily and then you guys will not even miss Cam"

To be sure, other TKR posters demonstrated higher basketball IQs:

"Spencer for us is close to irreplaceable someone who actually shot over 40% from 3"
"zero chance Griffiths steps in as a true frosh and completely replaces Cam"
Fair enough, but I wasn't one of those posters saying Cam was replaceable. And at the time we didn't know how Noah and Gavin would perform and it turned out to be a disaster. What's getting old is the bashing of Pike and saying Hurley has made Cam better when his stats haven't drastically changed. Cam is the same Cam on a better team with greater exposure. He was a good player here as well and he would have helped us tremendously. I have no issue with him making a move for the better, just that if the stories are true how he left, he could be more honorable in his intentions.

Reactions: Fat Koko
The players who surround Spencer now are better in many areas. Can not say they aren’t playing better as a team . Perhaps with this new group coming in we see this reflected in their overall play. I sure hope so. If we are ever going to do something B1G this 2025 season it would be a good start. Where would we be now if Hurley had accepted a Rutgers offer as HC back then? Would we have been National Champs ? Maybe going for number 2 ?

Reactions: socaldave
Marginal is correct. No one wants to admit you'll look better on a better team. Winning fixes everything. This is not a knock on Cam as a player, although he was a pos for how he left. But stop with the he's better at UConn than here because of Hurley and Pike sucks lol.
Only reason he "looks" like he is better this year is exposure. He is playing on the #1 team in all of college basketball and his skills are getting showcased on the biggest stage. Based on stats, he is similar but now getting more exposure for everyone to see them. Being hidden on a marginally decent Rutgers team that DID NOT make the tourney next year didn't help him. His spotlight last year was taking down Purdue which probably got Hurley looking at him.

• Love
Reactions: #1 RUFan
Jay Wright broke down the offensive system of Uconn at halftime. He talked the off the ball movement, the ball screening and other types of screen that I'd never even heard of. Cam fits that team like a glove. He's such a smart player with tons of intangibles. I'm not surprised to see him being put on mock drafts. I think it's very fair to say that Uconn would not be as good without him. I'd go as far as saying that they would have lost already without him.

If Cliff were to go there, it would be interesting to see how he would do. His basketball IQ is nowhere near Cam's.

People who knock this player forget they cheered their asses off for him

You don’t get to decide that.
You don’t own this board.
I will continue to post the truth.
I am a Rutgersfan
Pike did a bad job over the last 1.5 years. Just Because I call that out and recognize greatness elsewhere that should be expected at Rutgers, not excused.
Doesn’t equal disdain, I will practice my fandom the way I want.
I hope Pike coaches to the level of Hurly next year that would be great. That’s what I am rooting for.
This board has an ignore feature I suggest you use it.
Greatness?! You need to take a cold shower and get over your Cam crush. And if you feel UCONN is a better program by all means take a trip over to their board and suck up, you will not be missed.

Another reason I can't watch is Cam, and because Uconn is contending for a repeat. I hate how that school has so much more success than we have had in all sports.
Their biggest success would have been getting into the BIG or another league with similar status. So far they're a colossal failure. They're won battles but lost the war-- we won that one.

If you ask any sane CBB fan, no one, as is no one looks at UConn and attributes all of their success to Hurleys offense or Cam Spencer. Basketball is a team sport and UConn has Jordan Hawkins last year at SG and his play was so overhyped and exaggerated, that he was drafted way too high in the NBA by New Orleans and is essentially not playing much as an NBA lottery pick......that's what being overhyped in the NCAA tournament does for players a lot of times.

Formee UConn HC, Kevin Ollie, who is not a good coach by most knowledgeable Basketball people, actually won a national championship, carried by Shabazz Napier about 10 years ago.....and because Napier had a great run in the NCAAs, his stock and hype shot through the roof and he was also overdrafted.....his NBA career never took off, despite his heroics of winning a title....because eventually, once the hype dies down and you actually have to play basketball outside of UConn, you get exposed.a bit.

Now Kevin Ollie is standing in as interim HC for a fired Jacque Vaughn for the Brooklyn Nets, and has been nothing short of a disaster area for the Nets....who have gone backwards in every measured category and are essentially unwatchable today....keep in mind he's won a National Title, which typically means something.

The socaldave types remain clueless and can only repeat what people on TV, who are paid to overhype players (Spencer, Clingan, Edey etc) and coaches (Hurley) to promote the sport....instead of actually watching games.

I've posted a thread already and it bears repeating.....Spencer is a product of playing on an elite team, on an all-time 2 year NCAA run....I'm not actually sure they've played any great teams in the last 2 NCAA tournaments, but 90% of Spencer stats are identical to his numbers at RU last year. If Spencer actuallyn improved significantly in every category by a LOT at UConn vs last year at RU, then the dumbed-down discussion about Pike not running an offense, would be considered valid.....But ironically, Pike actually does way more with much less, most coaches know this, even if message board people don't care to know.

Most in coaching circles know Purdue doesn't have one player beyond Zach Edey, that would see significant minutes on UConns team last year or this year. That's how large the talent gap is, where Clingan is actually AHEAD of Zach Edey in most NBA scouts reviews....but if you believe the hype that Edey is the 2 time player of the year, some will be fooled into thinking Purdue has an equal roster.....or that Edey is better than Clingan......anyone watchunf games right now would clearly see Clingan is actually BETTER than Edey......better footwork, better mobility, better shooting touch and moves better laterally on defense......

It would take an all time collapse for UConn to not win by more than 12 to 15 points tomorrow night. Don't get caught up into the nonsense of Matt Painter can't coach narrative that will start....the fact that Purdue has even made this level of success without buying up players left and right, with blue collar grinders and a solid B+ roster of productive players, is going to be fun to watch.

Facts and true information, always gets filtered out, in due time. Some just choose to ignore those facts, when they're initially presented, because they're not media generated.

Last edited:
Reactions: ancienthooper
If you ask any sane CBB fan, no one, as is no one looks at UConn and attributes all of their success to Hurleys offense or Cam Spencer. Basketball is a team sport and UConn has Jordan Hawkins last year at SG and his play was so overhyped and exaggerated, that he was overdrafts too high in the NBA by New Orleans and is essentially not playing much.

Kevin Ollie, who is not a good coach by most knowledgeable Basketball people, won a national championship, carried by Shabazz Napier about 10 years ago.....and because Napier had a great run in the NCAAs, his stock and hype shot through the roof and he was overdrafted.....his NBA career never took off, despite his heroics of winning a title.

Now Kevin Ollie is standing in as interim HC for a fired Jacque Vaughn for the Brooklyn Nets, has been nothing short of a disaster area for the Nets....who have gone backwards in every measured category and are essentially unwatchable today.

The socaldave types remain clueless and can only repeat what people on TV, who are paid to overhype players (Spencer, Clingan, Edey etc) nd coaches (Hurley) to promote the sport....instead of actually watching games.

I've posted a thread already and it bears repeating.....Spencer is a product of playing on an elite team, on an all-time 2 year NCAA run....I'm not actually sure they've played any great teams in the last 2 NCAA tournaments, but 90% of Spencer stats are identical to his numbers at RU last year. If Spencer improved significantly in every category by a LOT, then the dumbed-down discussion about Pike not running an offense, would be valid. But ironically, Pike actually does way more with much less.

Most in coaching circles know Purdue doesn't have one player beyond Zach Edey, that would see significant minutes on UConns team last year or this year. That's how large the talent gap is, where Clingan is actually AHEAD of Zach Edey in most NBA scouts reviews....but if you believe the hype that Edey is the 2 time player of the year, some will be fooled into thinking Purdue has an equal roster.

It would take an all time collapse for UConn to not win by more than 12 to 15 points tomorrow night. Don't get caught up into the nonsense of Matt Painter can't coach narrative that will start....the fact that Purdue has even made this level of success without buying up players left and right, with blue collar grinders and a solid B+ roster of productive players, is going to be fun to watch.

Facts and true information, always gets filtered out, in due time. Some just choose to ignore those facts, when they're initially presented, because they're not media generated.

UConn is of course very talented but Hurley's offense and his adjustment in his offensive philosophy plays a major role in maximizing how good this team is...There are plenty of coaches who would not have the same level of success/dominance with this roster because they aren't as good Xs and Os wise, plus right now UConn is handling the transfer portal era better than anyone in terms of combining fit and talent.

Where I will agree with you is Painter is an elite coach...He consistently runs beautiful halfcourt sets and their defense has also been overshadowed I think by their offense and Edey's dominance in general.

If you ask any sane CBB fan, no one, as is no one looks at UConn and attributes all of their success to Hurleys offense or Cam Spencer. Basketball is a team sport and UConn has Jordan Hawkins last year at SG and his play was so overhyped and exaggerated, that he was drafted way too high in the NBA by New Orleans and is essentially not playing much as an NBA lottery pick......that's what being overhyped in the NCAA tournament does for players a lot of times.

Formee UConn HC, Kevin Ollie, who is not a good coach by most knowledgeable Basketball people, actually won a national championship, carried by Shabazz Napier about 10 years ago.....and because Napier had a great run in the NCAAs, his stock and hype shot through the roof and he was also overdrafted.....his NBA career never took off, despite his heroics of winning a title....because eventually, once the hype dies down and you actually have to play basketball outside of UConn, you get exposed.a bit.

Now Kevin Ollie is standing in as interim HC for a fired Jacque Vaughn for the Brooklyn Nets, and has been nothing short of a disaster area for the Nets....who have gone backwards in every measured category and are essentially unwatchable today....keep in mind he's won a National Title, which typically means something.

The socaldave types remain clueless and can only repeat what people on TV, who are paid to overhype players (Spencer, Clingan, Edey etc) and coaches (Hurley) to promote the sport....instead of actually watching games.

I've posted a thread already and it bears repeating.....Spencer is a product of playing on an elite team, on an all-time 2 year NCAA run....I'm not actually sure they've played any great teams in the last 2 NCAA tournaments, but 90% of Spencer stats are identical to his numbers at RU last year. If Spencer actuallyn improved significantly in every category by a LOT at UConn vs last year at RU, then the dumbed-down discussion about Pike not running an offense, would be considered valid.....But ironically, Pike actually does way more with much less, most coaches know this, even if message board people don't care to know.

Most in coaching circles know Purdue doesn't have one player beyond Zach Edey, that would see significant minutes on UConns team last year or this year. That's how large the talent gap is, where Clingan is actually AHEAD of Zach Edey in most NBA scouts reviews....but if you believe the hype that Edey is the 2 time player of the year, some will be fooled into thinking Purdue has an equal roster.....or that Edey is better than Clingan......anyone watchunf games right now would clearly see Clingan is actually BETTER than Edey......better footwork, better mobility, better shooting touch and moves better laterally on defense......

How many Duke alums are killin’ it in the NBA ? Ever ? NBA is irrelevant to college greatness.

We don’t belong in the same discussion as UConn hoops, men or women. Cam played his way into an opportunity our other players only dream of. Good for him.

Cam hate is nothing more than homer envy.

UConn is of course very talented but Hurley's offense and his adjustment in his offensive philosophy plays a major role in maximizing how good this team is...There are plenty of coaches who would not have the same level of success/dominance with this roster because they aren't as good Xs and Os wise, plus right now UConn is handling the transfer portal era better than anyone in terms of combining fit and talent.

Where I will agree with you is Painter is an elite coach...He consistently runs beautiful halfcourt sets and their defense has also been overshadowed I think by their offense and Edey's dominance in general.
Spot on.

Those are all good points hawk and agree on most of them. Devils advocate though for cams stock rising … even if stats are the same and he looks 10x better doing it and filling a role that he is more likely to fill given a shot at the nba makes it worth it for him doesn’t it? It’s not his job to tell nba scouts he’s over rated or on a hype train

NBA scouts see a guy with a relentless motor that plays good defense (probably from his time here) and works incredibly hard off the ball to get his shot that he shoots at a high %… that’s literally what the nba wants in every player #4-12 on their roster is a 3 and D guy who can pass the ball well

Good for him for maximizing this season and opening a door for a future … his brother is filling a similar role in golden state so I’m sure he learned from him what you need to show you can do

On the topic of Purdue and UConn… purdues second best player which is idk sometimes Loyer sometimes Smith sometimes Gilles? They’d all be 7th or 8th man on this UConn team which speaks to how good a job Painter has done to get this team here

There were MULTIPLE more talented big 10 teams than Purdue … painter is imo the best coach in the league

Uconn has NCAA championship banners. Rutgers has none. They have a BCS bowl game appearance. Rutgers doesn't have one

Uconn has NCAA championship banners. Rutgers has none. They have a BCS bowl game appearance. Rutgers doesn't have one
UConn has six winning seasons in their 25 years in FBS football, winning more than eight games just twice. They've won a combined 13 games in their last six seasons.

But they did tie-break their way into a BCS game once, in the Big East's worst season.

Reactions: Scarlet83
We would love to have those NC banners whether it’s basketball or not. That’s why winning these next 3-4 years are the most important in our history or whatever our history is in the 2000’s.

How many Duke alums are killin’ it in the NBA ? Ever ? NBA is irrelevant to college greatness.

We don’t belong in the same discussion as UConn hoops, men or women. Cam played his way into an opportunity our other players only dream of. Good for him.

Cam hate is nothing more than homer envy.
I guess by that logic all our players should leave if they get an offer. Good for them!

Last edited:
I just looked up his stats from last year to his stats this. Not hard to look up if you have the time. Across the board his stats are the same across the board other than averaging 1 more point a game over last year. He's also played 5 more games this year. Again if you don't feel being on a star loaded team has helped him appear better, that's being disingenuous. So can some credit also go to Pike for finding him at Loyola? There's a big difference playing on a national champion over a middle pack Big 10 team. Respectfully argue it all you want. As far as the NBA sure he deserves a shot. He's gotten way more exposure at UConn to also showcase his talents. But averaging 14 pts a game isn't blowing scouts away.
Every UConn starter has scored more than 20 points in at least one game this season and they all have double digit scoring averages.Spencer averaging 14 points a game is a positive achievement .

Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
And I feel a big part of that success is only having 3 coaches over the last 38 years. Pike deserves to be here, and we want him here. But I think what socaldave and many others are saying is “is it too much to want him to self evaluate and make necessary adjustments”? Recruiting the last four years, fixed big time with 24-25, can we keep that momentum. Use of the portal, we shall see shortly. The way the team quit the last two years. Changing from a rock fight to a dynamic offense. Pike is a man of great character who runs a solid program. But there’s nothing wrong with looking in the mirror and making necessary changes.
What makes you think Pike doesn’t self evaluate and make adjustments? Especially when he just said his roster management this spring is critical. Pike and staff have self evaluated and they are actively making adjustments right in front of your eyes.

Reactions: RUBlackout
Cam would have been a fool to stay at Rutgers. He saw the difference in what the 2 coaching staffs were doing.
If you feel that way, you must feel every player on our team is a fool to stay on our team.
If the staff is so incompetent, every player would be better to leave since most other staffs are more competent.

What makes you think Pike doesn’t self evaluate and make adjustments? Especially when he just said his roster management this spring is critical. Pike and staff have self evaluated and they are actively making adjustments right in front of your eyes.
It’s because people make shit up and stake the claims on their beliefs. They are mad at losing seasons and not making the tourney and massively blaming it all on Pike. They are also using winning coaches/programs to show how inept he is.
Does he have his flaws? Yes! I think he even realizes if he doesn’t change and win he will get run out of here.

Is that why we’ve gone from the ncaa in 2021/22 to quitters in 2023/24? Is that why our recruiting went in the toilet the last four years? Is that why we continuously run less and less offense and more hero ball the last few years?

In my post I said it does look like he’s changed his strategies with recruiting in terms of the ‘24 class. As far as his approach to getting out of rock fight games, the portal, scheduling etc is rather see proof. Pike said a lot of things in past off seasons, “best team ever”, “working on scheduling OOC games that don’t come to be”, etc. doesn’t mean they are truth.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT