ADVERTISEMENT

What will it take to have successful 1st FB season

RUsince52

All American
Gold Member
Apr 3, 2016
West Milford
Your thoughts on a minimum acceptable performance to be considered successful in year one. It can be anything that you feel might be a contributing factor before and during the season.
Although we're not in the middle of our division, yet, it would be nice to know you have a chance once you step onto the field and it doesn't matter what the oddsmakers think. Right now, it's more fun to be excited than realistic !

Smart football. Few dumb penalties. Very few blown assignments. Maximum effort until the whistle. Half time adjustments by the staff. Solid special teams. One KO through the back of the end zone. Just one.

One suprise win. No choke jobs.

Frankly I am not really sure what would be "unacceptable". 3-9 but no blowouts and all the recruits stick? I am hoping for a lot but not expecting it.

Substantial defensive and special teams improvement and recruiting success outside the State of Rutgers (especially Ohio and Texas and southwest Florida).

6 wins would be very successful. Throw in a win over either Penn state or Mich, and then it would be amazing for Ash's first year.

No player arrests or ash emailing a teacher about a player's grade . 4 or 5 wins , with only one big blowout against ohio state . Play smart football and effort . I fully expect ash to have some growing pains in game management because he's never done it before , so I want to see improvement from ash in this area as the season goes on... Oden redshirts and we hear reports he's going to be as good as advertised and will start as a redshirt frost in 2017...Need the recruiting class to be good.

Beating 2 of 3 OOC and 3 from PSU, Ill, Indiana, UMd, and Minn would be a good start. On paper right now RU is a big underdog against the other 5 teams on the schedule right now. I'm not one to ever give up hope especially in May but a win over 1 of those 5 would be a very positive result.

I understand a blowout or two is probably likely but so much good and bad can happen week to week to any team you never really know,

Reactions: RU-ROCS
Beating 2 of 3 OOC and 3 from PSU, Ill, Indiana, UMd, and Minn would be a good start. On paper right now RU is a big underdog against the other 5 teams on the schedule right now. I'm not one to ever give up hope especially in May but a win over 1 of those 5 would be a very positive result.

I understand a blowout or two is probably likely but so much good and bad can happen week to week to any team you never really know,
If we can go 2 - 2 in the first four, then maybe 6 wins is attainable. At the very least we have to beat the teams that we are capable of beating. After that maybe the defense can hold its own until the offense can become productive and we pick up another win or two. Or it's just ho-hum from one week to the next and hopefully that won't be the way it goes.

6 wins and the losses still competitive. Also, no reports of the coach meeting a rutgers professor at the Princeton library incognito to discuss a players grades.

Improved tackling, competitive play in all games, and only one bolo, clunker blowout.
I would consider these factors as a successfull season
Add a win over pnst and it would make it an extremely satisfying season

I'm not going to go with a W/L record or even say no loss by more than whatever.

What I need to see is a team playing hard, making the right reads and swarming to the ball on D and doing ANYTHING they can to make something happen on O. It is a mindset we need to see this year.
I would much rather see us in position to make a play and then just get run over then not be there to make the play in the first place.
Coaches- we NEED to see that they understand how to make adjustments.We cant be run up the middle in a bunch set 3 and out all first half and come back in the second half doing the same damn thing. Same on D- mix it the F up...And not half by half, it has to be on a play by play basis. If a S comes up to the LOS, you can't have the O know exactly what he is going to do.

These are the things we need to see in order for it to be a successful season

In-game success: Early offense and smart, hard fought football in the 3rd and 4th quarters. Good things should happen if we do this.

There are two philosophies here at play.

The Pat Reilly approach: Coach with what you have. The coach adjusts his game plan to get the best out of his players.

The Phil Jackson approach: You push squares into a circle hole until you acquire circles.

Generally speaking, it seems in college football coaches today are systems guys. They come in, and force squares into circle holes until they can recruit circles. Look what Franklin did to Hackenburg as an example.

Ash is running the spread correct? He needs to recruit some more circles.

As a whole, our talent is week. Now throw in a completely new system = I expect 4 to 5 wins at best. As long the morale is strong I am fine with it.

LOSING TO PENN STATE IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.

There are two philosophies here at play.

The Pat Reilly approach: Coach with what you have. The coach adjusts his game plan to get the best out of his players.

The Phil Jackson approach: You push squares into a circle hole until you acquire circles.

Generally speaking, it seems in college football coaches today are systems guys. They come in, and force squares into circle holes until they can recruit circles. Look what Franklin did to Hackenburg as an example.

Ash is running the spread correct? He needs to recruit some more circles.

As a whole, our talent is week. Now throw in a completely new system = I expect 4 to 5 wins at best. As long the morale is strong I am fine with it.

LOSING TO PENN STATE IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.
Generally speaking, great coaches take both approaches.

On offense, you build around what you have. ie: You can't throw deep if your QB has a noodle arm or run zone-read as a base play if your QB runs in cement. And if you have a weapon like Janarion Grant, you must find a way to put the ball in his hands.

On defense, you recruit to your scheme. ie: Schiano liked to stunt his front often, so he picked undersized linemen. On the other side, Alabama plays a 3-4 so their front 3 need to be mammoth in order to maintain 2 gaps. Same applies with the LBs -- cover-2 teams need an MLB with speed to drop deep to take away the post. And finally, if your team primarily plays press-man, you need CBs big enough to disrupt routes at the LOS.

This is a good assessment.

Sounds about right, but I would like to also see a couple of future playmakers and NFL prospects emerge from the group.

Frankly I am not really sure what would be "unacceptable". 3-9 but no blowouts and all the recruits stick? I am hoping for a lot but not expecting it.

To me, 3-9 would be unacceptable. That's beating Howard and only 2 other teams when there are at least 4 (Indiana, Illinois, New Mexico, Maryland) games that are toss-ups or where RU is favored. It also means no upsets. There is more talent on campus than that.

Reactions: IL Lusciato
My standards for this year are pretty low. Not hearing the words "Our goal is to be 1-0 this week" from any coach, player or fan will be a triumph.

five wins would be acceptable..defense with a better showing then past two years.. offense we will struggle,just dont have the correct talent to run this offense right now. Keep the recruiting progress moving forward is the most important thing in the long run....during a most likely sub 500 season.

This is going to be a transitional year, it will take years before Ash can see his full vision on the field.

For the 1st year, I expect a lot of growing pains as the Offense and Defense learn and get used to the new system.

I also expect Ash not to give up and play not to lose or totally give up and play for field goals.

The defense should improve, we don't have the players to run it properly yet but just by the fact the schemes and coaching will be so much better, there should be some improvement, maybe not enough to slow down OSU but last year we couldn't stop anyone from scoring, even the FCS team was scoring at will until they ran out of starters. That shouldn't happen this year.

The offense should be able to score more points, but again we don't have the players to run it at a high level, but hopefully we can improve enough to keep the games closer than last year and maybe steal a few.

I can't see us making a bowl game with our schedule and what we have to work with, but if we even come close it will be impressive, if we actually make a bowl game, I will be extremely impressed!

For me it is about creating an atmosphere of expectations, that Rutgers is moving forward in a B1G way. Displaying excitement on the field through the improvement of existing players and providing enough incentive by the on-field play to keep the recruits that are currently committed (no such thing in college football anymore) and enticing some of the best H.S. recruits in NJ to start beating a path to RU.

In his spare time if he could bridge the North/South Jersey divide, perhaps by promoting a peace treaty signed that North is always going to have Taylor Ham and South is Pork Roll. Allow the North to embrace WaWa like we have done in the south, so that we can all sit in Rutgers Wawa Stadium in the future as one fan base.

Your thoughts on a minimum acceptable performance to be considered successful in year one. It can be anything that you feel might be a contributing factor before and during the season.
Although we're not in the middle of our division, yet, it would be nice to know you have a chance once you step onto the field and it doesn't matter what the oddsmakers think. Right now, it's more fun to be excited than realistic !
What do you mean by "Successful 1st Football Season?"

Isn't this, like, our 146th football season?

Not concerned about "w's" and "l's" this year. What to see improvement in all facets of the game, a team that plays through the whistle (not illegally), and hope for the future.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT