ADVERTISEMENT

Football Who Are the Scarlet Knights' Greatest D-I QBs of All-Time?

Savage got annihated in soph year. OL really sucked and Chase came in and really played well.. Tom’s father was the impetus for Tom’s leaving even though Schiano and Tom wanted to have him stay. After transfer where things weren’t good he attempted to comeback to Rutgers. NCAA like usual said , “ cannot do”. Typical BS.

I've seen them all and I would have Scott Erney number one. If I'm not mistaken, and I might be, Erney hardly played QB in high school.

Reactions: RUinPAC10land
Savage got annihated in soph year. OL really sucked and jade came in and really played well.. Tom’s father was the impetus for Tom’s leaving even though Schiano and Tom wanted to have him stay. After transfer where things weren’t good he attempted to comeback to Rutgers. NCAA like usual said , “ cannot do”. Typical BS.

I've seen them all and I would have Scott Erney number one. If I'm not mistaken, and I might be, Erney hardly played QB in high school.
I have seen everyone since 1965.Scott Erney is without doubt the one who I believe was near the top if not the best.

Savage got annihated in soph year. OL really sucked and Chase came in and really played well.. Tom’s father was the impetus for Tom’s leaving even though Schiano and Tom wanted to have him stay. After transfer where things weren’t good he attempted to comeback to Rutgers. NCAA like usual said , “ cannot do”. Typical BS.
So Savage, as a sophomore, lost his job to Dodd. He can't be ranked ahead of him.

He lost his job due to concussion issues. If you thought our present OLine sucked go back and research. It was brutal what occurred . They blamed Schiano as did his father. Funny Tom and Greg had a good relationship.

Chase was a damn could QB … another true gunslinger. Met him and girlfriend several times at different stores in Edison during free time. Nice kid , a true gentleman and easy to talk to about Rutgers football . Glad he’s part of our current staff.

I don't care if he looks like Worf, he could play.
um.. is that racist or xenophobic or both? Discuss... or better yet..
846iyz.jpg

The author seems to think that Rutgers moved up to division 1 at some point in history.

Rutgers has always been in division 1, since it was formed in 1973. And also, Rutgers has always been in division 1-A ( now called FBS) since it was formed in 1978.

It was around that time that Rutgers made a decision to begin scheduling “bigger time” opponents, so it seems that’s what the author is referring to, but just sayin.

I like all of these guys and understand the rationale behind the pecking order. Winning matters. There is no way we can say this guy would have done better on that team. You can only judge them by their results.

Having said that McMahon and Savage were probably out most talented QB’s. Erney and Teel were probably our best pocket passers. Nova won the most in the BIG and our schedule that year was the toughest we’ve played. He torched UNC in his bowl game. All of those things matter.
McMahon had no pocket.

I was not following Rutgers prior to 2005

So- not to offend anyone. But how many on here wanting MM as number 1- want anyone but GW as our QB next year? Almost same type of numbers but GW a better runner and GW- like MM, has no WR's and what was considered a very bad OL and plays in the B1G East vs the BE.

I think Wimsatt is similar in certain respects to MCMahon and has improved quite a bit over last season. Can he over the next 5 games continue playing solid? These next 5 games are a good barometer.

So Savage, as a sophomore, lost his job to Dodd. He can't be ranked ahead of him.

He lost his job due to concussion issues. If you thought our present OLine sucked go back and research. It was brutal what occurred . They blamed Schiano as did his father. Funny Tom and Greg had a good relationship.
Doesn't it amaze you when you still have to explain these things.

So- not to offend anyone. But how many on here wanting MM as number 1- want anyone but GW as our QB next year? Almost same type of numbers but GW a better runner and GW- like MM, has no WR's and what was considered a very bad OL and plays in the B1G East vs the BE.
Hard to compare their stats. A 60% completion rate back then put you among the top passers. MM’s stats for his era are relatively better than GW’s of today.

Hard to compare their stats. A 60% completion rate back then put you among the top passers. MM’s stats for his era are relatively better than GW’s of today.
Except his best year was 51.8% - and I am not trying to knock him- even the NFL saw it...what I was trying to point out is that maybe some of our posters need to give GW a little more of a break.

Reactions: ruinac

Yes to MM as #1. No to anyone but GW. And, hard as it is to believe, the OL GW has this year is actually better than any MM had in front of him. MM also had a better arm.

Edited to add, MM was picked by Detroit in the 5th Rd.

Last edited:
Reactions: shields
Yes to MM as #1. No to anyone but GW. And, hard as it is to believe, the OL GW has this year is actually better than any MM had in front of him. MM also had a better arm.

Edited to add, MM was picked by Detroit in the 5th Rd.
understand i am just bringing it up as someone that never saw MM live. And I am not saying GW is top anything...The NFL also saw something in MM as well.

But- under 50% lifetime- hard to have him number 1 over someone like Teel and also hate GW...

From an athletic standpoint Mike M . was tops … Lucas as an athlete also great. As for all others Tom Savage from his first snap for Rutgers everyone knew he could be the golden child. Size , arm, accuracy decent athlete. That one hurt when he left his 2 nd year. Terrible string of luck for Rutgers . We will never let our OL and DL go to shat under Schiano.

McMahon hands down, not even close.
Seen all the QBs over the last 30 years.

Yeah nova has to be up there .

This list really just says alot how many bad quarterbacks we have had.
This.

Has to be unfortunately the weakest top 10 in the power 5. Wash State had Bledsoe. Duke had Daniel Jones. Arizona had Nick Foles. Wake maybe?

Reactions: Plum Street
Gary Nova is the type of competitor you learn to live with. He had several different OC’s. That did not help Gary or Rutgers. All I know is after he left the QB position lacked B1G time. If we had him last season we win probably 6 games.Think about that.

Gary Nova is the type of competitor you learn to live with. He had several different OC’s. That did not help Gary or Rutgers. All I know is after he left the QB position lacked B1G time. If we had him last season we win probably 6 games.Think about that.
Would have loved to see him play with an OL that Teel had and at least a couple consecutive years with the same OC.

Would have loved to see him play with an OL that Teel had and at least a couple consecutive years with the same OC.
Yup …this player was fierce and slso sometimes a gunslinger . The game against Penn State would have been legendary had he not thrown all the interceptions. Nova took so much harsh criticism from our fans … deserved …perhaps …for me he made it exciting and enjoyable. Last year he would have given us a real chance.

Yep .. if he was redshirted and coached properly he may have been really good as a 5th year guy

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Chase was a damn could QB … another true gunslinger. Met him and girlfriend several times at different stores in Edison during free time. Nice kid , a true gentleman and easy to talk to about Rutgers football . Glad he’s part of our current staff.

Chase won BE player of the week after his first start in 2010 (320 yds - RU freshman record - and 2 TDs).
Game was against a UConn team that would win BE title.
The next game was vs Army and the team fell apart after that and never won a game again

TBH I always thought Chas got screwed.
Nova had a great arm but never as great as he felt it was while trying to zip balls into heavy coverage.
I'll never forget PSU's secondary coach promising his unit 4 INTs in 2014 game and getting 5

Chase won BE player of the week after his first start in 2010 (320 yds - RU freshman record - and 2 TDs).
Game was against a UConn team that would win BE title.
The next game was vs Army and the team fell apart after that and never won a game again

TBH I always thought Chas got screwed.
Nova had a great arm but never as great as he felt it was while trying to zip balls into heavy coverage.
I'll never forget PSU's secondary coach promising his unit 4 INTs in 2014 game and getting 5

Chas should have played more in 2013

But maybe those bad experiences helped nova in 2014

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT