ADVERTISEMENT

Why RU Benefits More Than Most Teams With The Extra Year of Eligibility + 3 RU Players Whos NFL Chances Just Skyrocketed

A

anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy

With the extra year of eligibility being granted, RU is set to benefit more than most teams in the B1G imo. The top end teams filled with 4 star talent abound, are going to have kids who have zero interest in playing a 5th year, let alone what could potentially now be a 6th year redshirt senior. One of the ways developmental programs like an RU or Iowa can benefit from this is by having a roster loaded with upper classmen, 22 and 23 year olds playing vs 18 and 19 year olds. It is in a way, the method of leveling the playing field from a strength perspective. Also, RU now has a journey man style QB locked up through the 2022 season in Noah Vedral which takes a little bit of the sting out of not landing a qb in the 2021 class. It's blatantly obvious that our lines need to be bigger and stronger, giving this kids an extra year of S&C can do just that.

Shit let me be crazy for a second here. I truly think if healthy we have one of the top 5 defenses in the B1G this year. Think about our starters on D. Yes, I do have my concerns about depth no doubt but I'd be lying if I haven't thought to myself that if our Offense can muster just 21-24 points we should be able to give most teams a run for their money. The 8 game season also increases chances of being healthier.

Projected Starters in a 4-3 scheme

Safeties: Brendan White and Christian Izien
Corners: Trey Avery and Avery Young
LBs: Fogg, Fatukasi, Jennings
DL: Tverdov, Dwumfour, Barrow, Onyechi

I could also see Greg moving O3 down a level to an "R" type of position and then making the linebacker core fogg, singleton, jennings. I am excited to see how jennings has come along, he flashed a bunch last year.

As for the NFL stocks way up. They're all on defense. As it is, these kids are going into their 4th year in the program, two of which it would've been their last year of eligibility and now they get an extra year which means two years of film as upper class men in an NFL scheme. The other kid will now potentially get 3 years of film after already flashing in a shit system, who will now be unleashed to his full potential.

1) Tyshon Fogg: Tyshon has NFL measurables as a LB and packs a punch but was playing in a passive bullshit system under chris ash. He will now get to play a 4th and 5th year under Schiano's defense and really be able to showcase his abilities from run/pass blitzes and his ability to run sideline to sideline. I really think having the extra year of eligibility all but assures he will be drafted in the 2022 NFL draft.

2) Olakunle Fatukasi: Again much like Fogg, another extremely talented individual who the prior coach had no idea how to effectively use. With his athleticism, size, physicality and ability to get to the QB on blitzes I think we're going to see two very big years for 03. Again, another kid I think will be drafted in the 2022 NFL draft.

3) Mike Tverdov: I'm trying to think off the top of my head but I can't think of a single SDE more talented that schiano coached here than Tverdov. Besides the kid being pretty damn technically sound as a football player, his motor is also off the charts. I think we're going to see him reap the rewards and take advantage of a lot of one on one matchups with talents and also see him benefit from the defensive scheme not being so predictable and calling twists/stunts/etc. Although he'll be eligible to play through 2022 now, he's a kid I see foregoing his last year of eligibility and declaring after the 2021 season.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News