ADVERTISEMENT

Wimsatt gets too much blame

Extra Point

Heisman Winner
Aug 9, 2001
Even if Wimsatt hit every pass and Rutgers scored a couple more TDs and got 38 points which is a lot of points, Maryland would have still have won with 42. Maryland has a great offense that capitalized on Rutgers' banged up defense. You can watch the extended highlights here:

Even if Wimsatt hit every pass and Rutgers scored a couple more TDs and got 38 points which is a lot of points, Maryland would have still have won with 42. Maryland has a great offense that capitalized on Rutgers' banged up defense. You can watch the extended highlights here:

“Wimsatt gets too much blame?”

Yeah, you think?…I think the snowball started rolling with the Gavin Wimsatt’s every pass threads…childish

It's a totally different game if wimsatt just completes more passes in the first couple drives alone. Some of those passes never happened and runs by Kyle never happened because he couldn't hit the side of a barn to get first downs. You can't take the passes he attempted and see if we would have won. The game takes a path based on what happens during the course of the game. If we sustain some drives and maybe Maryland doesn't call the plays they called at a time...maybe a defender stays disciplined and is in position to make a tackle. Who knows. Bottom line, he gets a lot of crap because he is the qb of a team that has a poop offense and he's a massive part of the offense's failures.

It would make sense if he had a shaky pass percentage and had bad breaks, but he's statistically one of the least accurate QBs in FBS. He misses the easiest throws. He should be a WR next season

He was considered a "raw" recruit who needed development by Kelly's ND (they offered him but only school he ever visited was RU 2x). TBH, Schiano's Rutgers is one of the last places I would think of for QB development but here we are.

"Gavin Wimsatt (6-3, 200; Owensboro, Ky.) is raw, but the coaching staff likes a lot of his traits. Steve Angeli (6-3, 215; Oradell, N.J.) is a better thrower than some of the quarterbacks they already have at Notre Dame.

“I think this ends with Notre Dame signing Angeli.”

Lemming: “It’s hard to tell who Notre Dame really wants among Steve Angeli, Gavin Wimsatt and Drew Aller. They’re all good, but none of them are great."

Kentucky took the Wimsatt loss hard:

"On Friday, four-star quarterback Gavin Wimsatt announced his commitment to Rutgers over Kentucky, Ole Miss, Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame and Oregon, among a host of other offers. The 6-foot-3, 200-pound Owensboro native is not only rated as the No. 1 prospect from the Bluegrass State, but he’s also the No. 3 dual-threat passer and a top 100 overall prospect in the 2022 recruiting cycle...Wimsatt is now Rutgers’ highest-ranked prospect in the class.

If losing Wimsatt to a Big Ten doormat wasn’t bad enough...."

Reactions: Zimm80
He was considered a "raw" recruit who needed development by Kelly's ND (they offered him but only school he ever visited was RU 2x). TBH, Schiano's Rutgers is one of the last places I would think of for QB development but here we are.

"Gavin Wimsatt (6-3, 200; Owensboro, Ky.) is raw, but the coaching staff likes a lot of his traits. Steve Angeli (6-3, 215; Oradell, N.J.) is a better thrower than some of the quarterbacks they already have at Notre Dame.

“I think this ends with Notre Dame signing Angeli.”

Lemming: “It’s hard to tell who Notre Dame really wants among Steve Angeli, Gavin Wimsatt and Drew Aller. They’re all good, but none of them are great."

Kentucky took the Wimsatt loss hard:

"On Friday, four-star quarterback Gavin Wimsatt announced his commitment to Rutgers over Kentucky, Ole Miss, Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame and Oregon, among a host of other offers. The 6-foot-3, 200-pound Owensboro native is not only rated as the No. 1 prospect from the Bluegrass State, but he’s also the No. 3 dual-threat passer and a top 100 overall prospect in the 2022 recruiting cycle...Wimsatt is now Rutgers’ highest-ranked prospect in the class.

If losing Wimsatt to a Big Ten doormat wasn’t bad enough...."

And our offense has given minimal opportunity for development in games:

2021: 21 attempts (4 games)
2022: 145 attempts (8 games)
2023: 274 attempts (12 games, 79th in the country in total pass attempts by individual QB - not team)
Total: 440 attempts (24 games)

By comparison, Taulia Tagovailoa had 464 attempts in ONLY his redshirt sophomore year (2021 - 13 games).

Not obsolving GW's performance to date - but for a "developmental program" haven't given GW a lot of opportunities to develop.

Reactions: rurichdog
Not obsolving GW's performance to date - but for a "developmental program" haven't given GW a lot of opportunities to develop.

QB "development" under Schiano means getting fitted for a straight-jacket before you're in a game.
I think a lot of "Gavin doesn't do this and Gavin doesn't do that" traces back Schiano training wheels.
People complained about Teel never running and when asked about it in an interview he said Schiano told him not to run.

Schiano looks at QBs and sees turnover cooties

Reactions: RUTGERS95
makes more than most on this board
he's a far cry from an 'amateur athelete'
he's one of the worst qbs in fbs, the worst in p5

every criticism is warranted

the real culprit is Greg for us even being in this situation 4yrs in as Gav shows zero upside

Reactions: Zimm80

Maybe if Rutgers kept drives going, maybe just maybe a first down throw here and there the Maryland offense wouldn't have had the opportunity to score. You shouldn't really post about football as it's clear you don't understand!! At all!!

It would make sense if he had a shaky pass percentage and had bad breaks, but he's statistically one of the least accurate QBs in FBS. He misses the easiest throws. He should be a WR next season
When you are the worst QB in all of FBS the criticism comes with the territory.

These messages board guys are into getting clicks and sensationalism. His first year starting...team is better than it's been in a decade. Might be the worst set of pass catchers the team has had in a decade as well. My expectations for Gavin start next year. Would like to see how much he can improve after a full season starting in the big ten and a full off season of repetition. Rep every throw every day and rep the read option. Repetition is the key...

That’s every QB everywhere. Amateurs only know to blame the HC and the QB.

Don’t worry the men are back to work while the babies are home crying. Just root for the men every game.

Wow. You attack the kids mom??? God job big person (can’t say big man anymore and be politically correct). The kid has given his all. Many good things, but certainly many things that need to be corrected and worked on. Oh, by the way, what QB at RU in the past decade has led the team to a bowl???? Hmmmm that would be NONE!!! Does he have work to do, yes, but we are in a bowl. Stop attacking the kid’s mom. Last I looked she was not looking down at the front and back line of a D1 defebnce no less one from B1G East!!!!

Hi Mrs. Wimsatt. He suck’s. He deserves more blame if we’re being honest and he’s a semi pro athlete that’s also getting a free degree.
Hey Keith, "semipro", lol you know "semi pro" football players don't get paid. They actually have to pay for equipment and insurance. But as far as your intended meaning. Nil is compensation for the use of a players name image and likeness. For example, guys named Keith getting their rocks off and venting their frustrations about college football on message boards. This is generating engagement for rivals and can be displayed to advertisers as an example of the traffic this page can generate.

The only reason you're even upset is because the team played well enough to create expectations, now you're pissed wimsatt had bad games against teams Rutgers was never expected to beat. I respect it, but when you get back to reality from your trip. Next year is when the pressure is on Gavin his second full year with an off season of training under his belt. That's when you make your decisions....but yeah, you want to say Gavin "sucks" then Rutgers "sucks" because he's the best QB to play here in literally a decade 😂

Last edited:
Johnny Langan, Shawn Bowman, Isaiah Washington, Christian Dremel, Jaquae Jackson
All seniors.
Ian Strong is the only significant contributor returning next year among the pass catchers.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Johnny Langan, Shawn Bowman, Isaiah Washington, Christian Dremel, Jaquae Jackson
All seniors.
Ian Strong is the only significant contributor returning next year among the pass catchers.
Their contributions are appreciated but interested to see what the group of playmakers looks like next year. I'm excited to see what Ben black can do with the ball in his hands. Also need some precise route runners. All of the RU guys cuts are rounded off, no sharp cuts or change of direction except for Dremel. Jaquae Jackson looks so stiff everytime I see him run or even move. Strong looks like a linebacker out there. Washington is inconsistent doesn't seem like he wants it. Dremel is the only sharp route runner on the team, need more attention to detail in that wr room. No one for strong to learn from, maybe Dremel.

Reactions: Virginiarufan
All seniors.
will miss them as they all added something but Langan, every team needs a Langan

I hope he goes into coaching

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
Our own fanbase is to blame. When Gavin committed you would have thought we just landed Auburn Cam Newton…. The reaction from this board was so over the top, putting so much pressure and praise on a kid who had never taken a college snap. We had too many fans infatuated with his 4* rating expecting him to step in and be ‘the man’.

Unfortunately Gavin is more athlete than QB and has not had the proper coaching to develop as a qb as fast as we would like. He desperately needs the Manning Camp or some other intensive training this offseason. Also some competition wouldn’t hurt. ‘Iron Sharpens Iron’

Our own fanbase is to blame. When Gavin committed you would have thought we just landed Auburn Cam Newton…. The reaction from this board was so over the top, putting so much pressure and praise on a kid who had never taken a college snap. We had too many fans infatuated with his 4* rating expecting him to step in and be ‘the man’.

Unfortunately Gavin is more athlete than QB and has not had the proper coaching to develop as a qb as fast as we would like. He desperately needs the Manning Camp or some other intensive training this offseason. Also some competition wouldn’t hurt. ‘Iron Sharpens Iron’
looking at his hs tape, I can't believe he was rated that high

Don't forget his first collegiate pass: the greatest most poised 4th down conversion ever executed. He was anointed savior immediately after that play.

All of our offense players are role players, except KM and sometimes CD.

None of them can make up for others shortcomings. If we had elite WRs or TEs, GWs play elevates, or if GW was elite he elevates the play of our WRs and TEs.

Our top 3 WRs were hurt or out. We had one RB who played at an elite level. SB really struggled to see the holes this season, and was tripped up a lot. I hope it is injury recovery still and he gets back to form. We have no elite TEs. SB was just too slow, which is why his only successful receptions were when we get him in motion running into the flat.

Our OL played well, but KM made some magic happens many times to make them look better. If we had an elite OL GW looks better.

SB really struggled to see the holes this season, and was tripped up a lot. I hope it is injury recovery still and he gets back to form.

It was pretty obvious early in the season that he didn't trust himself yet. I thought he improved as the season went on, but we will hopefully see him all the way back next season.

Reactions: Kbee3
It was pretty obvious early in the season that he didn't trust himself yet. I thought he improved as the season went on, but we will hopefully see him all the way back next season.
On Saturday he had two run plays with huge holes, and he completely missed them, a third opportunity he tripped at the hole (which he saw late). I really hope for him to get back to form for next year, especially if we lost KM.

Reactions: Kbee3
That’s every QB everywhere. Amateurs only know to blame the HC and the QB.

Don’t worry the men are back to work while the babies are home crying. Just root for the men every game.
Not sure of what your analogy is getting at?
Gavin can’t run this offense next year and needs to be replaced.
That’s not earth shattering news.
The best back in the league, an improved OL, a solid defense before attrition took its toll and good field goal kicking won us 6 toss up games.
Credit to GS and coaches we are getting better

Last edited:
I have been a supporter of GW all year as he came out looking like a much improved player this year compared to last year. And as much as he had had some very bad throws, he seemed to protect the football well, make some plays with his legs and some NFL type throws.
As the year went on though, I did not see him make any further progression and he really should have. And while there are times that protection and the lack of a true 1 or 2 WR could have helped him more- we also saw way too many throws with time in the pocket and a wide open guy that he just misses.
The game against Maryland, he looked like he even backtracked.

I see promise but I did not see him capitalize on that progress. For the first time- after this last game, I just don't know if he is going to work out in the long run. He would literally have to be at least 25% better next year to be the starter.

Reactions: zappaa
And our offense has given minimal opportunity for development in games:

2021: 21 attempts (4 games)
2022: 145 attempts (8 games)
2023: 274 attempts (12 games, 79th in the country in total pass attempts by individual QB - not team)
Total: 440 attempts (24 games)

By comparison, Taulia Tagovailoa had 464 attempts in ONLY his redshirt sophomore year (2021 - 13 games).

RU is not a program that develops QBs.

The inability to make the short throws is on the staff imo. It looks like he's playing beer pong when he throws a short throw?! GS has had him here for 3 years. I don't care how many OC's we've had. I'm sure GS is well aware of his short throws issues.

How many guys have played golf with others that decel when chipping and/or putting? Brutal to watch, not difficult to fix with instruction.

it's kinda easy to figure out if Rutgers had better offensive production, their time of possession would increase. Maryland's time of possession would then proportionally decrease. Based on that you think they still score 42????

Reactions: RUNYGDVLSFAN
The inability to make the short throws is on the staff imo. It looks like he's playing beer pong when he throws a short throw?! GS has had him here for 3 years. I don't care how many OC's we've had. I'm sure GS is well aware of his short throws issues.

How many guys have played golf with others that decel when chipping and/or putting? Brutal to watch, not difficult to fix with instruction.
Until you need to get up and down to save $25 bucks under pressure…. Then the yip rears its ugly head again 😊

• Haha
Reactions: winfield102
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT