ADVERTISEMENT

women's and Men's soccer recruiting for next year

ag67

All American
Jul 25, 2001
I thought I remembered a poster mentioning that the women's team had a great recruiting class coming in next year.

Does anyone know any details on either of the classes for next year? I am loving our teams this year and am hoping this is the start of something big.

Current Rutgers Women's Soccer Commitments from TopSoccerDrawer:

Name Year Pos. City State Club
Taylor Aylmer 2016 MF Garnerville New York World Class FC
Margaret Barron 2016 GK Centreville Virginia FC Virginia
Megan Katona 2016 D San Antonio Texas Texas Rush
Brittany LaPlant 2016 F Queensbury New York PDA
Alexis Palladino 2016 MF Medford New Jersey PDA
Jenna Sayers 2016 MF Mays Landing New Jersey New Jersey Rush
Brianna Starr 2016 F Severn Maryland Soccer Association of Columbia
Chantelle Swaby 2016 D Connecticut Connecticut FC
Amanda Visco 2016 D Manalapan New Jersey PDA
Nicole Whitley 2016 MF Freehold New Jersey PDA
Amirah Ali 2017 F Voorhees New Jersey PDA
Caitlyn Ferreira 2017 GK Windham New Hampshire FC Stars of Massachusetts
Dana Goldstein 2017 D Medford New Jersey PDA
Aideen O'Donoghue 2017 D Canonsburg Pennsylvania Pittsburgh Riverhounds
Gabriella Provenzano 2017 MF New Jersey PDA
Ciara Terabasso 2017 MF Pennsylvania Pittsburgh Riverhounds
Alicia D'Aoust 2018 F Smithtown New York Smithtown Kickers SC
Meagan McClelland 2018 GK Kearny New Jersey PDA

Thanks, PhilaPhans. I can't believe how many recruits women's soccer picked up, and 7 of them are from New Jersey PDA. Do you have any info about who the top talents are?

Back to the days of Crooks (when I coached HS girls soccer) and likely long before, our women's soccer team at Rutgers has always been pretty much done recruiting upperclassmen, are finalizing the current HS sophomore class, and are looking at frosh. This isn't anything new based on the run we've made recently.

You'd have to click through everything to look at star rankings and whatnot. Since I've been out of coaching and switched fields to accounting, I don't know the talent like I used to (back in the Madison Tiernan days).

Oh, and Mike O'Neill (the RU Women's Soccer head coach) is or was the Director of Player Development for the PDA program. That's the reason you see so many top players from that program playing for us over the years.

Swaby
whitley
visco are all 4 stars and will play in the east- west hs all American game in early december

Thanks for sharing this info. I only looked up a few players, but I noticed LaPlant set the NY scoring record with over 200 goals, I believe. Scoring that many goals requires some weaker competition, but 200 goals is 200 goals. It will be fun to see how she adjusts to the college game.

18 commits is a lot of players. Is there a limit, as in other sports? And when is their LOI day?

As for the men, is the recruiting process somewhat different for them, which might explain why there are only two commits so far? Perhaps a later LOI day?

Thanks.

18 commits is a lot of players. Is there a limit, as in other sports? And when is their LOI day?

As for the men, is the recruiting process somewhat different for them, which might explain why there are only two commits so far? Perhaps a later LOI day?

Thanks.
I believe the women's are spread over 3 yrs.

Thanks, RuDad. I hadn't even noticed the class years after the names. So ten in this year's recruiting class already (room for more?), but there's already 6 in the current high school junior class and two sophomores! That's impressive.

There are ten graduates ergo ten commits in 2016. What we never know is if the back up goalie stays and backup murphy again. Also there are two forwards who rarely see the field so no idea there.
Why I offer that is leaving a spot, potentially, for a transfer or fifth year senior. They usually do at least one.

Girls commit way earlier and almost never decommit. I just think they are better prepared for the process and do not want to chance losing a spot, at a school they covet, to keep the search alive.

In my opinion the 2016 could, will be the best recruiting class RU has seen

2017 is almost full. KEY is Alexa Ferreira who had been ranked as the number 5 center mid in the country.She injured her ankle/ leg and did not play hs soccer this fall. If 100percent she is a huge pickup

Mike is now working on 2018 He has commits from a goalie from Kearny and a striker I/ know nothing about.
I think they have done a great job in rotational recruiting and incoming girls fill the slots left by graduates IE two next years 4stars are on defense as Reed and Skronski graduate,

Last edited:
Reactions: RUseaweed
Great Stuff! Thanks to all of you for providing this information. The soccer and wrestling information make this board the most fun to visit - Slam Dunk this year obviously. I find the "minor" sports have always been just as interesting to me as the 2 "major" ones, so I am grateful to hear from all fans of these sports. It is great to find some insiders whoa are willing to share their info with the rest of us.

Reactions: njcanesfan
Out of curiosity, how many scholarships are available to each of the soccer teams? Do they split any of them like the wrestling team did or does?

Transition from Crooks to O'Neill was smooth and perfectly timed. O'Neill is very well known in NJ Recruiting circles and could have been a matter of time before he got picked off for top slot elsewhere. To keep program at top need to get his program money ASAP so they can augment support facilities. This program has a shot to be a perennial powerhouse, but does need money to do that.

Out of curiosity, how many scholarships are available to each of the soccer teams? Do they split any of them like the wrestling team did or does?
There are 14 scholarships and they can be split anyway RU wants....

Does that mean there are only 14 "soccer" scholarships total between men and women?

So RUTGERS decides if it will be 7 men and 7 women, or 9 women and 4 men?

If so, who makes the final call on how it is broken out?
That is crazy.

And it is a shame we don't have more scholarships available.

How many players do we have on the men's and women's rosters?

And finally, how many scholarships do other B1G (or other P5) programs typically have for soccer?

TIA

Does that mean there are only 14 "soccer" scholarships total between men and women?

So RUTGERS decides if it will be 7 men and 7 women, or 9 women and 4 men?

If so, who makes the final call on how it is broken out?
That is crazy.

And it is a shame we don't have more scholarships available.

How many players do we have on the men's and women's rosters?

And finally, how many scholarships do other B1G (or other P5) programs typically have for soccer?

TIA

According to ag67's question he asked how many scholarships are available to EACH of the soccer teams. So 14 per team but a recruit can receive a partial scholarship.

According to ag67's question he asked how many scholarships are available to EACH of the soccer teams. So 14 per team but a recruit can receive a partial scholarship.

I find this really interesting. One of our current advantages is that we keep rolling out fresh players during the game. I am guessing we play between 15 and 20 per game. I would assume that girls with this level of talent would all be getting at least a decent amount of scholarship money. It appears to me that we are juggling the full scholarship quota to our advantage in this sport, where we still appear to be hurting in some of the other sports scholarship wise.

This is fascinating stuff to me. I wonder if we are changing the amount of scholarship money for girls who turn out to be bigger contributors than originally expected. I would imagine so.

This is my only Rivals board right now. I am happy to see it getting more and more popular, although the lacrosse crowd is pretty quiet now (off-season).

Last edited:
I find this really interesting. One of our current advantages is that we keep rolling out fresh players during the game. I am guessing we play between 15 and 20 per game. I would assume that girls with this level of talent would all be getting at least a decent amount of scholarship money. It appears to me that we are using the full scholarship quota to our advantage in this sport, where we still appear to be hurting in some of the other sports scholarship wise.

This is fascinating stuff to me. I wonder if we are changing the amount of scholarship money for girls who turn out to be bigger contributors than originally expected. I would imagine so.

This is my only Rivals board right now. I am happy to see it getting more and more popular, although the lacrosse crowd is pretty quiet now (off-season).[/QUOT
Throughout the meat of the season, O,Neil has played 18 + the keeper, generally the same 18 field players, although on occasion he will rotate in someone else, but the total never seems to go beyond 18. Earlier in the year more of the ladies were seeing action. He has not subbed for his keeper all year. Think O'Neil is great, but wish that he had given another keeper some time in the few games where we had a substantial lead & the outcome was not in doubt. Would have both been a reward & an experience factor.

14 per team...and where we're "hurting" in other sports is not be "fully-funded" on an out-of-state tuition $$$ level.

Hold on there...in NCAA div 1, men's soccer only get 9.9 scholarships and women get 14. True. Actually most women's sports in div 1 get more scholarships than their male counterparts. I'm not totally sure why but I'm guessing it has to do with the law saying you have to treat women and men the same in college athletics and this is a way to make up for the 85 football scholarships that have no women's counterpoint...if that makes any sense.

Hold on there...in NCAA div 1, men's soccer only get 9.9 scholarships and women get 14. True. Actually most women's sports in div 1 get more scholarships than their male counterparts. I'm not totally sure why but I'm guessing it has to do with the law saying you have to treat women and men the same in college athletics and this is a way to make up for the 85 football scholarships that have no women's counterpoint...if that makes any sense.
It has to do with Title IX. Most schools have around 324 scholarships for Men's sports and Women's sports. A sport like football takes up 85 scholarships which is why Women's rowing has 40 full rides. In most cases schools actually give out more scholarships to women than men. I also believe football, basketball, and women's basketball are the only three sports which guarantee full scholarships while all the other sports get a total amount of scholarships that they can choose to split any way they want.

Reactions: mullerpesq
It has to do with Title IX. Most schools have around 324 scholarships for Men's sports and Women's sports. A sport like football takes up 85 scholarships which is why Women's rowing has 40 full rides. In most cases schools actually give out more scholarships to women than men. I also believe football, basketball, and women's basketball are the only three sports which guarantee full scholarships while all the other sports get a total amount of scholarships that they can choose to split any way they want.

I thought that the women were granted more scholarships than men because of Title IX. I am surprised that the men are not even granted the 11 scholarships that would be needed to fully fund one starting side.

It adds an interesting twist to the sport. I can imagine bidding contests between schools concerning what percentage of a full scholarship each will award to a promising player. Does a coach go for a deeper squad of slightly less promising players or for for a stronger starting side with less depth? I suppose by now there is a more or less standard procedure for approaching this.

I have no idea what happens behind the scenes, but it must be fascinating.

I've heard, but don't know, that many partial scholarships in these other sports are offered by most schools at a flat 25% of what a full scholarship would be.

Than there is always financial aid on top of that for those that qualify.

I've heard, but don't know, that many partial scholarships in these other sports are offered by most schools at a flat 25% of what a full scholarship would be.

Than there is always financial aid on top of that for those that qualify.

Thanks for all the info. I counted 29 girls in the soccer team photo. That would lead me to believe 50% might be closer to being accurate, if all are indeed equal. However you are obviously much closer to the situation, and I appreciate your sharing the info with us.

Thanks for all the info. I counted 29 girls in the soccer team photo. That would lead me to believe 50% might be closer to being accurate, if all are indeed equal. However you are obviously much closer to the situation, and I appreciate your sharing the info with us.
They can many times do magical things with the financial aid package if they want.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT