ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestle-Offs

Interesting outcome at 197. I want to know how good Wright was at Air Force. Nice pickup for depth at a minimum, potential starter at best.

Last edited:
Reactions: rubigtimenow
Interesting outcome at 197. I want to know how good Wright was at Air Foce. Nice pickup for depth at a minimum, potential starter at best.
From his Bio:
Prior to Rutgers:
Compiled a 17-2 mark during his prep year in 2018 at Air Force Prep ... wrestled scholastically at Delaware Hays High School in Ohio, where he finished with a 153-35 career record, 94 pins and 338 takedowns as a three-time state qualifier ... finished third in the state at 195 pounds during senior season and was a district and sectional champion ... closed out senior campaign with a 33-2 record ... was an impressive 53-5 as a junior in 2015-16.

As an aside, I did read that he has been doing well in the room.

From his Bio:
Prior to Rutgers: Compiled a 17-2 mark during his prep year in 2018 at Air Force Prep ... wrestled scholastically at Delaware Hays High School in Ohio, where he finished with a 153-35 career record, 94 pins and 338 takedowns as a three-time state qualifier ... finished third in the state at 195 pounds during senior season and was a district and sectional champion ... closed out senior campaign with a 33-2 record ... was an impressive 53-5 as a junior in 2015-16.

As an aside, I did read that he has been doing well in the room.
If he's only a freshman, that's a brilliant transfer pickup by Goodale. Wouldn't shock me if Wright starts very soon.

Final | Joe Grello wins by decision over Willie Scott, 4-3.
First thanks for the updates @Clearscreen25 much appreciated. I know it's early but I expected Grello to turn it up a notch this year. Still plenty of time and just a wrestle off but expected a little more separation.
Final | Max Wright wins by decision over Matthew Correnti, 5-2.
Shocker of the wrestle off. Is Wright the answer at 197 or is Correnti not living up to the billing. Impossible to tell right now but shocking.

First thanks for the updates @Clearscreen25 much appreciated. I know it's early but I expected Grello to turn it up a notch this year. Still plenty of time and just a wrestle off but expected a little more separation.

Shocker of the wrestle off. Is Wright the answer at 197 or is Correnti not living up to the billing. Impossible to tell right now but shocking.

I am a lil worried... The correnti recruiting class was supposed to be one of our best, and I don't think we have 2 starters from it?

Reactions: koleszar

Yeah have to admit I was a bit disappointed in Grello today. Willie Scott is a scrapper but Grello should've won more comfortably. I'm interested to see what we have with Wright. He will get plenty of action on Opening Day next weekend and we will know more about him then.

The ride out by JVB is the difference between a RS Senior and a RS Freshman. That's 4 years of college level S&C.

Vanbrill is good on top and should have been an All American last year.He will be ready this year and in my estimates will be an All American this year to finish his career.On another note Glasgow been rode out for 2 minutes is a concern.He is not going to win many matches stuck on bottom.Hopefully working with Vanbrill in the room will help him with those weaknesses especially battling the bigger guys at 165.

What is the plan for next weekend opening day?
All starters wrestling all 3 matches and then the Princeton open the next day?
Or everyone except for are 4 ranked wrestlers?

I think Metzler should start even with the win.Give Aguilar a full year to redshirt would help him get stronger & bigger for the overall grind.
Yeah I agree. Metzler will be fine this year. Let Aguilar RS and get experience in some of the other tourneys unattached, let him hit S&C hard and have him go at 125 next year as a RS Freshman.

I am a lil worried... The correnti recruiting class was supposed to be one of our best, and I don't think we have 2 starters from it?
Yeah have to admit I was a bit disappointed in Grello today. Willie Scott is a scrapper but Grello should've won more comfortably. I'm interested to see what we have with Wright. He will get plenty of action on Opening Day next weekend and we will know more about him then.
Those two definitely stood out to me as I read through the results and caused me to grimace. Giving me a little pause on the optimism for the season. The rest pretty much went to script even the MVB results as I'm still waiting for him to shoot. Just expected more from these two, my expectations may have been misguided. But still early so still hope.

I am impressed with the win by Wright over Correnti.Does this mean the final decision with Wright as our starter but an ongoing decision making who mans the spot.

Correnti is a tweener and is suffering from the lack of a 215 weight class.

As for Aguilar, Shane is no chump and this kid came out early and took the match. He’s going to be a good one.

Agree about Glasgow getting ridden out, but JVB can smother you on top, is a top 10 ranked fifth year senior and has a motor that got him 10 seconds from an AA finish. In other words, I’m not concerned. Glasgow kept it close vs a guy who is blood round material at worst.

197 is more a question of effort and commitment. Wonder if the kid really wants to wrestle. Might be similar to last year's starter at 197 who lost his desire to wrestle. It happens to kids.

197 is more a question of effort and commitment. Wonder if the kid really wants to wrestle. Might be similar to last year's starter at 197 who lost his desire to wrestle. It happens to kids.
Not another head case? I can't believe that's the case here. I mean the kid wanted to cut back down to 197 lbs. instead of eating his way into heavyweight.

I hear ya, however, and please don't take this the wrong way, but you cannot make an unsubstantiated allegation without evidence. The kid he lost to is no slouch and Correnti has gone from wrestling 197 (looking winded half the year) to bulking up and cutting all that weight again.

I remember putting weight on for football and shedding it for wrestling season. Shit wears you down.

Let's just let this play out Racpack until we see more evidence of a desire issue.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT