ADVERTISEMENT

Zero Bench Points 2 Full Games + 2 OTs

They’ll figure it out. They have a whole offseason to do it.

The team next year may lean on D even more and the offensive sets may not rely on single players like they did this year.
Geo is easily replaceable in the portal. Caleb will be tough to replace and Harper will be even more difficult. Can’t see how we don’t take a pretty big step back next year.

At least no one left yet. I think Young was out the door already after our loss to a Houston last year.

Geo is easily replaceable in the portal. Caleb will be tough to replace and Harper will be even more difficult. Can’t see how we don’t take a pretty big step back next year.
It’s not easy, but I feel comfortable saying we’ll be an NIT team. A lucky transfer and I’d even wager tourney. I like Cliff, Paul, and Rieber. I expect Hyatt and Mag will also improve. I also think we will get a decent transfer or 2 (no inside knowledge).

let’s see where we end up. We definitely lose some important players, but this also means we will get a chance to see others grow.

The team next year may lean on D even more and the offensive sets may not rely on single players like they did this year.
We'll see what transfers we bring in. But right now Reiber, Palmquist, Jones, Mulcahy, and Cliff are all to my eye better offensively than they are defensively. Which is kinda scary because I don't think they're that good offensively.

It’s not easy, but I feel comfortable saying we’ll be an NIT team. A lucky transfer and I’d even wager tourney. I like Cliff, Paul, and Rieber. I expect Hyatt and Mag will also improve. I also think we will get a decent transfer or 2 (no inside knowledge).

let’s see where we end up. We definitely lose some important players, but this also means we will get a chance to see others grow.
agreed. College ball is college ball....People seem to forget a little bit that Seniors graduate, and underclassmen who were not "the best" all the sudden fill roles. We saw it from last year to this one, we will see it again. I expect Paul, Cliff, Dean, Mag, Miller, and Jones to all be noticeably improved next season and I expect Hyatt to be more consistent plus a transfer or 2. This team isn't going to be the same guys at their talent level from this year minus geo and ron...its going to be minus geo and ron but with improved versions of the young guys. Yes, we may not be at our optimal level, but i'm not ready to count them totally out right now.

That might be some kind of record. Zero bench points in 90 consecutive minutes of basketball.
You don’t watch much basketball do you ? Not the reason we lost the last 2 games. That bench you mentioned missed like 6 bunnies in the Iowa game that might have made the difference but yesterday although Mag and Hyatt missed makeable shots , Hyatt had a big block , but really it was on the starters to win it and they should have in regulation and in the first OT.

Reactions: IL Lusciato
That might be some kind of record. Zero bench points in 90 consecutive minutes of basketball.
Other than Paul’s line , what part of the box score would you change from our other 4 starters. Those are winning game stats. We just didn’t win because our defense and rebounding let us down.

Reactions: Antnee79
The bench not scoring of course made a difference. Our bench played a total of 31 minutes broken down last night as follows: Mag (9mins), Reiber (6 mins), Hyatt (14 mins) and Miller (2) mins. Without them scoring this placed the onus on the starters on the floor with them to carry an additional load while at the same time being the focus of ND's defense because the bench players present little to 0 scoring threat. Furthermore, because the bench player don't score you can't keep them on the floor for extended periods of time thereby exhausting your starters. And our starters were pooped at the end of the game which showed with them being one step slower than the player they guarded while giving up repeated basket drives to the basket. Starters cannot do it by themselves unless they are named Keegan Murray, Johnny Davis, and like kind ilk, and even then they usually need bench help. Indeed, would have loved last night to see one of those beautiful and impactful Reiber 3s swish through like they did in games prior to Iowa.

Other than Paul’s line , what part of the box score would you change from our other 4 starters. Those are winning game stats. We just didn’t win because our defense and rebounding let us down.
What FIJI'83 just said..

And it doesn't show in the box score, but Geo's late game shooting hurt us last night. After tying the score with a 2 pt jumper with 1:50 remaining in regulation, he shot 1-6 the rest of the game with 4 of his 5 misses ending the RU possessions. He also missed his foul shot.

If we had a more efficient bench, maybe our starters would be a little bit less fatigued at the end of the game... Geo played 44 minutes. Ron, Caleb, and Paul played even more, while only one starter on ND played more minutes than Geo... And Atkinson, who torched us on 13-15 shooting, only played 33 minutes. Laszewski came off the bench for ND and played 37 minutes. 18pts, 6-8FG, 2-4 3PT, 4-5 FT, 6 REB, while RU's entire bench was 0-6 in 31 total minutes... The box score for the starters may not look bad, but with a bigger contribution from a 6th man and the rest of the bench it may have looked even better.

What FIJI'83 just said..

And it doesn't show in the box score, but Geo's late game shooting hurt us last night. After tying the score with a 2 pt jumper with 1:50 remaining in regulation, he shot 1-6 the rest of the game with 4 of his 5 misses ending the RU possessions. He also missed his foul shot.

If we had a more efficient bench, maybe our starters would be a little bit less fatigued at the end of the game... Geo played 44 minutes. Ron, Caleb, and Paul played even more, while only one starter on ND played more minutes than Geo. And Atkinson, who torched us on 13-15 shooting, only played 33 minutes. Laszewski came off the bench for ND and played 37 minutes. 18pts, 6-8FG, 2-4 3PT, 4-5 FT, 6 REB, while RU's entire bench was 0-6 in 31 total minutes... The box score for the starters may not look bad, but with a bigger contribution from the 6th man and the rest of the bench it may have looked even better.
All of that would have been irrelevant if we played a stitch of defense like we did all year and gotten a few rebounds instead of Notre Dame getting 3 for 6 put back points

Our players were so tired at the end of the game it effected their rebounding, boxing out, shooting accuracy, decision-making and attention span. As the great WWII General George S. Patton Jr. is credited for saying, “Fatigue makes cowards of us all.”

You don’t watch much basketball do you ? Not the reason we lost the last 2 games. That bench you mentioned missed like 6 bunnies in the Iowa game that might have made the difference but yesterday although Mag and Hyatt missed makeable shots , Hyatt had a big block , but really it was on the starters to win it and they should have in regulation and in the first OT.
You know you're right. What's basketball? Nope even 4-8 points from the reserves when they were in the game wouldn't have made a bit of difference in what turned out to be a 2 point game.

Our players were so tired at the end of the game it effected their rebounding, boxing out, shooting accuracy, decision-making and attention span. As the great WWII General George S. Patton Jr. is credited for saying, “Fatigue makes cowards of us all.”
Don’t buy it. Our defense the whole game was terrible and it had nothing to do with fatigue. The failure of Paul or Geo or Ron to get 2 late misses , and box out their big guys , including the game winner , was not due to fatigue but lack of awareness and urgency , especially knowing they lost to Houston last year the exact same way. Harper letting Wesley go right and past him was not fatigue but bad positioning not forcing him to his left where the help was and where he would have had to settle for a jump shot. Harper’s shooting accuracy was pretty good late as he hit 2 of 3 , both very difficult 3’s and ironically he missed a wide open shot with 20 seconds left for the win but we got the rebound for the final shot in regulation.

All of that would have been irrelevant if we played a stitch of defense like we did all year and gotten a few rebounds instead of Notre Dame getting 3 for 6 put back points
A lot of things contributed to the loss, but ND's continued dominance in the paint was mind boggling as others have mentioned. Only 7 of ND's 37 made shots were from outside.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scangg
You know you're right. What's basketball? Nope even 4-8 points from the reserves when they were in the game wouldn't have made a bit of difference in what turned out to be a 2 point game.
How about the 3 ref calls or non calls on the offensive basket interference , the Caleb strip and steal with 3:42 left or the Harper charge with 1:52,in the first OT , that gave Notre Dame 6 extra points or took points from us. They made a difference too. Our starters were in position to win in regulation and in the first OT and we missed an open shot , we didn’t play defense , we gave up 3 offensive rebound put backs late including failing to box out , and threw the ball away on an inbounds that they converted and fouled them at mid court with 40 seconds left down 1 . Those 5-6 plays alone if they go the other way , is a 10 point swing in our favor.

The last put back and winning bucket was because all three of our guys were up in the air attempting to defend the missed shot, after the ball hit the rim, all our guys were returning to the ground via gravity in perfect sequence as their guy went up.
Watch it in slow mo,

What offensive sets we don't have any other than one on one; we never set off the ball screens no movement etc etc

The last put back and winning bucket was because all three of our guys were up in the air attempting to defend the missed shot, after the ball hit the rim, all our guys were returning to the ground via gravity in perfect sequence as their guy went up.
Watch it in slow mo,
Yeah but Geo and Caleb are just looking at Atkinson standing right by the basket

How about the 3 ref calls or non calls on the offensive basket interference , the Caleb strip and steal with 3:42 left or the Harper charge with 1:52,in the first OT , that gave Notre Dame 6 extra points or took points from us. They made a difference too. Our starters were in position to win in regulation and in the first OT and we missed an open shot , we didn’t play defense , we gave up 3 offensive rebound put backs late including failing to box out , and threw the ball away on an inbounds that they converted and fouled them at mid court with 40 seconds left down 1 . Those 5-6 plays alone if they go the other way , is a 10 point swing in our favor.
Agreed they were blatant bad calls by the refs you just can't dismiss those just horrible; even on the inbounds play where Paul threw it away watch it again RHJ gets pushed in the back another reason why he missed the ball

Paul was calling timeout before the last inbound play of the game. It is clearly shown below:

Yeah but Geo and Caleb are just looking at Atkinson standing right by the basket
Watch the defense ND played on Geo at the end of regulation.
Two big men camped out right and left, his man playing him head up…very structured….Geo wasn’t going to be allowed anywhere near the basket

Last edited:
Reactions: SBP
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT