ADVERTISEMENT

173 touches/targets on Off. (UW/EMU/Neb)... better in 2018??..Scary...

NewJerseyHawk

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jan 11, 2007
Right now, 72% of our offensive touches/targets depart after this season, based on the 3 meaningful games we have played vs Washington, Eastern Michigan and Nebraska.

Right now of the 173 touches/targets (excluding about 3 snaps that were likely throw aways by Bolin), there are 170 meaningful targets/carries.

Edwards 54
Martin 36
Washington 16
Grant 15
Duwop Mitchell 15
Bailey 10
Hayak 6
Blackshear 5
Harris 4
Melton 3
Griffin-Stewart 2
Hicks 2
Wormley 1
Max Anthony 1

Even if you replace Bolin with Lewis, 2018 appears to be a scary season on offense again, unless the balance of snaps/targets starts to change towards the underclassmen....Many are assuming that after the Ohio State game, RU would be 2-3 (instead it's going to be 1-4) before going to Illinois....even if you replace Bolin, the snaps/targets/carries right now are still heavily weighted towards players departing after this season right now.

My confidence on how RU would improve in 2017 was based on how many experienced players we had coming in AND the influx of speed/talent as freshman...I know it's 3 meaningful games, but it's enough of a trend that is scary for anyone thinking RU is going to turn some huge corner in 2018.

More than half the touches/targets are Edwards & Martin right now....Yes Trey Sneed will be available with the freshman RB's and Blackshear, but how do we get more production out of the freshman WR's now, so they aren't so inexperienced and green next year along with losing Martin and Edwards (and Hicks) ??

Ash can burn the program to the ground in BOTH ways right now if this keeps up.......he could continue to play the seniors who have 70+% of the offensive snaps/targets and still go 2-10 or worse AND not get any valuable production out of the current freshman and bury the program to a point where we are starting to wonder when RU is going to go bowling again. RU has an offensive problem right now.....it can't improve in my opinion, unless things start to improve with our underclassmen.

I really think Ash and Kill blew an opportunity to be at least 2-2 now and with some better play, we could be 3-1.....Nebraska is much weaker than what we anticipated and being 3-1 right now, completely justifies the tilt of playing seniors and showing recruits RU is on the right track. Right now, 2018 looks bleak on offense unless Ahmir Mitchell, Melton, Sneed, Wormley and Blackshear show something the rest of this year and the snaps/targets start to change.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.