ADVERTISEMENT

2003 Syracuse’s Rich Scanlon tried to fight fans

Plum Street

Hall of Famer
Jun 21, 2009
Anyone else remember this ? This was schiano’s third year.
We finally beat them on a really windy day and Syracuse linebacker and Bergen Catholic grad Rich Scanlon went into the stands after the game at Rutgers Stadium to try to fight some fans . A couple of other Syracuse guys joined him .
It was a fit of “rage” and perhaps a bit too much testosterone. The are pics out there of this historic moment if you google it. Scanlon got a major pass for this . If this happened today, his raging moment would have been plastered all over social media.

I was there but sitting on the press box side, and Scanlon went into the stands on the far side. Yes, the wind knocked down two kickoffs that we recovered. Crazy game.

Reactions: HPNJRUfan
Had a front row seat for that escapade. Kid and his pal were riding Scanlon the whole game, and the Scanlon family was nearby. The ushers/security had left before final whistle. In the 4Q the kids yelled some things at Scanlon's sister and I think that's what set him off. The other Cuse players didnt enter the stands but stood at the railing. Some large adults were closely watching and repeatedly told Scanlon to back off and get lost, which he ultimately did. Situation was very close to turning bad. Stupid behavior by all parties but there should have been ramifications to him/Cuse for him entering the stands.

BL was a complete animal all day.
I thought that game was going to be the program changer, but it took another year.
I consider 2005 our comeuppance
Youre right it did take longer - but we took a major step as a program that day in Schiano's first run. We finally beat Syracuse!

Things had kinda changed after that, and they soon did.

Its gonna feel like that again first time we beat Penn State. Even Wisky is up there. Sadly I'm not sure we ever beat OSU

I was there but sitting on the press box side, and Scanlon went into the stands on the far side. Yes, the wind knocked down two kickoffs that we recovered. Crazy game.
Scanlon went into the seats on the press box (west) side. I know because I was there in the east stands looking right at him.

It wasn't just fans. It was a kid. That animal should have been put in jail.

Literally happened right in front of me. Remember him climbing up on railing what cleats on etc. what an idiot

I think some people above might be confused about the stadium sides since the home side was switched in 2005. Scanlon definitely went into the stands on the East Side, this was behind his own bench and it was somewhere in the vicinity of section 126. I know, I saw it happen and sat near where it happened. The East side is the side where the player entrance tunnel is. Back in 2003 when this game occurred, the visiting team sat on The East side. 2004 was the final year that the visiting Team was on the East side. Starting in the 2005 season, Rutgers bench was moved to the east side of the stadium closer to the entrance tunnel and the visitors bench moved over to the West side, which was the traditional "home" side up until that time... and also the press box side.

BL was a complete animal all day.
I thought that game was going to be the program changer, but it took another year.
I consider 2005 our comeuppance
In 2004 the New Hampshire loss set things back another year but the bowl bid in 2005 really got things going

I just watched Malice At The Palace on Netflix and it got me thinking this Scanlon / Syracuse incident is worthy of its own documentary. They could call it Rumble on the Raritan and play it on a loop on The Ocho. I realize the name was already used for this weekend's high school games but nothing rhymes with "Tantrum" and ESPN would never sign off on a Spoiled Rotten Fruit title while they own the TV rights for that team's league.

Youre right it did take longer - but we took a major step as a program that day in Schiano's first run. We finally beat Syracuse!

Things had kinda changed after that, and they soon did.

Its gonna feel like that again first time we beat Penn State. Even Wisky is up there. Sadly I'm not sure we ever beat OSU

And beat Michigan State the very next game. Unfortunately, that was followed by a loss to NH

Was that the DWI homecomings car crash year? That set us back.

I think some people above might be confused about the stadium sides since the home side was switched in 2005. Scanlon definitely went into the stands on the East Side, this was behind his own bench and it was somewhere in the vicinity of section 126. I know, I saw it happen and sat near where it happened. The East side is the side where the player entrance tunnel is. Back in 2003 when this game occurred, the visiting team sat on The East side. 2004 was the final year that the visiting Team was on the East side. Starting in the 2005 season, Rutgers bench was moved to the east side of the stadium closer to the entrance tunnel and the visitors bench moved over to the West side, which was the traditional "home" side up until that time... and also the press box side.
Then I stand corrected. I am in 124 and recall seeing it across the field. I guess I was wrong. The student section used to be on the west side around the end zone at that time. If it happened in 126, that would have been to my left.

Then I stand corrected. I am in 124 and recall seeing it across the field. I guess I was wrong. The student section used to be on the west side around the end zone at that time. If it happened in 126, that would have been to my left.
It happened right by us probably between 124 and 125. I remember the dad yelling back at me when I told him to relax. I guess he didn’t feel relaxed at that point.

Reactions: Section124
it was in my section just a few rows below me, couldn't believe my eyes, and ya it was some younger kid like 12 or 14 like someone else mentioned. probably the craziest moment ive seen at a game. it was during the 4th, not after the game

Didn't Larry Bird get into an altercation at the RAC with a fan? In like 1977 or 8? I was too young to remember.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT