ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Big Ten Tournament Bracket Preview

I just watched this.

Rutgers talk starts around 11 minutes in. I just don't understand that they think we're out of we lose to Iowa. The other bubble teams are going to lose a game too. Iowa is a damn good team. Like who is replacing us?

I just watched this.

Rutgers talk starts around 11 minutes in. I just don't understand that they think we're out of we lose to Iowa. The other bubble teams are going to lose a game too. Iowa is a damn good team. Like who is replacing us?
I really like Norlander and Parrish but they are not bracketologists and the bracketologist they listen to (Palm at CBS) is a bad one.

The metrics are important but if Michigan beats Indiana, Rutgers will have seven Q1 wins. There will be like a dozen teams total in the country with at least that many. That can't be ignored.

I just got around to watching this and their analysis was really dumb. Norlander has said on other podcasts "nothing happens in a vacuum" but then proceeded to analyze Rutgers in a vacuum. At no point did either host think to compare them to BYU, or Indiana, or SMU, or VCU. They just read off the Quadrant numbers and the computer numbers and said "they need to beat Iowa."

I just got around to watching this and their analysis was really dumb. Norlander has said on other podcasts "nothing happens in a vacuum" but then proceeded to analyze Rutgers in a vacuum. At no point did either host think to compare them to BYU, or Indiana, or SMU, or VCU. They just read off the Quadrant numbers and the computer numbers and said "they need to beat Iowa."
Dave Revsine and Andy Katz just made this exact point on BTN.

They're thinking about the double bye and the bubble the exact same way we are. I.e., chances of a bad loss to NW/Neb is remote, a loss to Iowa is ok because there's no one else on the bubble who is going to jump us, they just don't have the opportunities (specifically mentioned BYU).

I think we just need to root against bid stealers... So far so good on that

The Lafayette game was so long ago I can’t even remember that game. I think Lafayette shot lights out if I’m not mistaking and we just played lazy. And I do recall the UMass game and I do recall being up huge and we just gave the game away. Also we were playing a bunch of players a lot in those games that don’t play anymore. It’s almost like two different teams.

And I recall DePaul. We were the Better team the whole game and then they just got hot/lucky I forget and we lost. We also couldn’t shoot that game until the very end and we almost won it.

I just looked up the Lafayette box score. We shot 15 percent from three and took 26 of them!! Omg. And 28% overall. It’s actually amazing we didn’t lose by more. I mean that’s like a one in a million terrible game. Have that offset the Purdue win and let’s stop talking about Lafayette.

Last edited:
CBS Inside Basketball just discussed RU. All three analysts, Rothstein, Lappas and Smith, agreed that RU is definitely in. Rothstein also said that people have to get over the metrics bc they are simply one part of the puzzle. They are just a part of things and who you beat matters a lot. RU has beaten a bunch of tournament teams, including 2 that are definitely top 12 seeds overall. FWIW, all 3 had RU in ahead of Michigan. Rothstein was clearly annoyed about the metrics being used as a big negative against us; was very fired up. They made a joke of his passion about it and said “hey, we agree with you!”

It's not only beating all those tournament teams, it's doing it with all the pressure on and everyday being a do or die.

It's one thing for a mid major to catch a basketball power early in the season and win one. How about going through that gauntlet to go 6-3 just to even have a chance. That should count for something

Gonzaga, b
It's not only beating all those tournament teams, it's doing it with all the pressure on and everyday being a do or die.

It's one thing for a mid major to catch a basketball power early in the season and win one. How about going through that gauntlet to go 6-3 just to even have a chance. That should count for something

Right. Take Gonzaga, obviously an incredible team, but once conference play starts it's like a 20 game vacation. Yeah I know they lost the one fluke to St. Mary's....point still holds.

Norlander found an angle he can hit but not necessarily believe in order to get attention, these guys do this to stand out. He also gets advice from Palm and it really hurts the credibility of CBS overall. When RU gets in Norlander and Parrish will not even talk about what they said.

the fact that they are not even comparing them to other schools around the bubble says everything about what they know....smu has a quad 4 loss by the way and has only beaten 2 schools in the tourney, VCU has beat one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT