ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling 2022 Rutgers Wrestling commitment list

I really hope things pick up soon because this has been a bad start to the recruiting season.
With the transfer portal I am okay saving money to land a transfer. It has fundamentally changed how you recruit. I would not call this a bad class if Soldano turns out to be the AA contender I think he will be.

Reactions: bigmatt718
We only have 6 guys on the roster who are Juniors or Seniors so the next few classes are going to be small so we need to hit on our top targets. If we can land at least 3-4 from the below, which hopefully includes atleast 2 of Casale, Mullen, and Santaniello we would be in really good shape.

I would imagine that our top targets (atleast from NJ) for 2022 and 2023:

Casale
Mullen
Santaniello
Vazquez
Ruiz
Portella
Dellagatta
Holden Garcia (from NJ but goes to ND-GP with Chletsos)

Landing Casale would be absolutely huge because it opens up the door to the other Delbarton guys and he is close with Mullen.

Reactions: William J. Leggett
I would think we could land Santaniello if we want him. Dad and Goody were roommates in college. May come down to $ like his brother.

Reactions: Leonard23
I’ve spoken to people close to the Santaniellos and Rutgers is a better fit for Anthony than it would have been for Vinny. Vin enjoys the party scene, maybe a little too much so the naval academy will keep him more grounded. Anthony is all business and shouldn’t be nearly as tempted by the distractions Rutgers may offer.

Reactions: Leonard23
We only have 6 guys on the roster who are Juniors or Seniors so the next few classes are going to be small so we need to hit on our top targets. If we can land at least 3-4 from the below, which hopefully includes atleast 2 of Casale, Mullen, and Santaniello we would be in really good shape.

I would imagine that our top targets (atleast from NJ) for 2022 and 2023:

Casale
Mullen
Santaniello
Vazquez
Ruiz
Portella
Dellagatta
Holden Garcia (from NJ but goes to ND-GP with Chletsos)

Landing Casale would be absolutely huge because it opens up the door to the other Delbarton guys and he is close with Mullen.
I understand that we may take some small classes but we need to land some elite blue chips each class, not just 1.

I would hope that McGowan is 1 of our top targets too, but I understand that Balir kids look elsewhere so...

Casale would be a great get and maybe helps open things up at Delbarton. What weight does he go here, 197 or HWT, and isn't he looking to also play football? Has anyone heard anything about Vazquez's interest?

Would be nice if we could land A. Santaniello early to start some recruiting momentum.

I’ve spoken to people close to the Santaniellos and Rutgers is a better fit for Anthony than it would have been for Vinny. Vin enjoys the party scene, maybe a little too much so the naval academy will keep him more grounded. Anthony is all business and shouldn’t be nearly as tempted by the distractions Rutgers may offer.
Interesting, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Vin here if Anthony commits.

I understand that we may take some small classes but we need to land some elite blue chips each class, not just 1.

I would hope that McGowan is 1 of our top targets too, but I understand that Balir kids look elsewhere so...

Casale would be a great get and maybe helps open things up at Delbarton. What weight does he go here, 197 or HWT, and isn't he looking to also play football? Has anyone heard anything about Vazquez's interest?

Would be nice if we could land A. Santaniello early to start some recruiting momentum.

Interesting, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Vin here if Anthony commits.

Casale is ranked #2 by Willie and #3 by Flo at 220
Mullen is ranked #2 by Willie and #2 by Flo at 285

The two above are the definition of blue chips, so adding Casale to 2022 along with Soldano, gives you #1 and/or #2 at two different weights. Hopefully we can close him this weekend. Getting those two guys plus one or two below would give us a handful of great classes in a row.

Santaniello is ranked #9 by Willie at 126 and #6 at 120 by Flo
Vazquez is ranked #16 by Willie and #20 by Flo at 132
Ruiz is ranked #7 by Willie and #8 by Flo at 145
Portella is ranked #11 by Willie and #16 by Flo at 170
Dellagatta is ranked #12 by Willie
Garcia is ranked #9 and #8 by Flo at 160

I wonder how much (if any) of Santaniello's decision will be impacted by Peterson ending up here. Between Shawver, Peterson, Raimo, Oliveri, etc. there are a lot of young, accomplished guys between 125 - 141 so depending on where they all ultimately project in the next few years that could certainly throw a wrench into his plans. Obviously it would it would be best to get them all in the room and sort it out that way and I'm sure Goody has a plan but I could definitely see it being an obstacle to overcome for his commitment.

The two above are the definition of blue chips, so adding Casale to 2022 along with Soldano, gives you #1 and/or #2 at two different weights. Hopefully we can close him this weekend. Getting those two guys plus one or two below would give us a handful of great classes in a row.

I wonder how much (if any) of Santaniello's decision will be impacted by Peterson ending up here. Between Shawver, Peterson, Raimo, Oliveri, etc. there are a lot of young, accomplished guys between 125 - 141 so depending on where they all ultimately project in the next few years that could certainly throw a wrench into his plans. Obviously it would it would be best to get them all in the room and sort it out that way and I'm sure Goody has a plan but I could definitely see it being an obstacle to overcome for his commitment.
Yes, closing Casale is a must and gives us 2 blue chips for 2022. Is he going HWT or 197, and does he also want to play football?

Good point on the lower weights. Who wins in practice, Peterson or Shawver? Is 1 big enough to move up to 133 next season? To add to your point, A. Santaniello and Vazquez could be similar weights in college, 125 or 133, so landing both is unlikely.

We need to get a legit 165 lber in here at some point. We have basically completely neglected that weight since Richie Lewis graduated. Either get someone in the portal or find someone in HS to man that weight.

Chletsos wrestling 138 at Columbus Duals 😬...

B Chletsos of Lost Boys went 3-2
138 - Alessio Perentin (Team Shutt GT) over B Chletsos (Lost Boys) Dec 7-2
138 - B Chletsos (Lost Boys) over Ian Murdock (Combat Athletics) TF 15-0
138 - B Chletsos (Lost Boys) over Carter Davis (Stellar Trained Black) Dec 4-2
138 - Matt Repos (Diamond Fish Pink) over B Chletsos (Lost Boys) TB-1 3-1
138 - B Chletsos (Lost Boys) over Anthony Lavish (PA Alliance Blue) Dec 10-4

Reactions: MS-RU
Chletsos wrestling 138 at Columbus Duals 😬...

B Chletsos of Lost Boys went 3-2
138 - Alessio Perentin (Team Shutt GT) over B Chletsos (Lost Boys) Dec 7-2
138 - B Chletsos (Lost Boys) over Ian Murdock (Combat Athletics) TF 15-0
138 - B Chletsos (Lost Boys) over Carter Davis (Stellar Trained Black) Dec 4-2
138 - Matt Repos (Diamond Fish Pink) over B Chletsos (Lost Boys) TB-1 3-1
138 - B Chletsos (Lost Boys) over Anthony Lavish (PA Alliance Blue) Dec 10-4
Any of the ppl he beat/loss to ranked ??

Any of the ppl he beat/loss to ranked ??
🤷🏽‍♂️ I don't pay for any of the ranking sites. I was surprised to see 2 losses. Perentin is a top freshman at Delbarton, but I'm not sure of his ranking.
Repos is a junior at Central Dauphin and 2x PIAA 3A place winner (4th @ 106 in 2020 and 7th @ 126 in 2021). Davis is a sophomore who wrestled 6 matches last season but looks to have been a very good MS and youth wrestler. Lavish is a senior who never placed in PIAA 2A regions.

Reactions: KidDagger and MS-RU
They definitely are not loses against top ranked opponents but neither of the guys he lost to are complete pushovers either like Leonard mentioned. Multiple time PIAA placers and a top incoming freshman at Delbarton, who will be ranked at some point this year. With that being said, they are matches that Cheltsos should have won if he wants to be a legitimate B1G wrestler.

Furthermore, it is also preseason and he is out there competing in national duals, so it’s certainly not the end of the world and don’t want to take too much away from it either. Happy to see him out there competing and getting ready for the season.

He only lost 1 match last year, to the current #1/#2 at 145 (Arrington) and ND-GP typically wrestles a tough schedule (Ironman, Beast, Escape the Rock, Powerade, vs. Blair) so he will certainly be tested and we’ll see where he stands by the end of the season.

They definitely are not loses against top ranked opponents but neither of the guys he lost to are complete pushovers either like Leonard mentioned. Multiple time PIAA placers and a top incoming freshman at Delbarton, who will be ranked at some point this year. With that being said, they are matches that Cheltsos should have won if he wants to be a legitimate B1G wrestler.

Furthermore, it is also preseason and he is out there competing in national duals, so it’s certainly not the end of the world and don’t want to take too much away from it either. Happy to see him out there competing and getting ready for the season.

He only lost 1 match last year, to the current #1/#2 at 145 (Arrington) and ND-GP typically wrestles a tough schedule (Ironman, Beast, Escape the Rock, Powerade, vs. Blair) so he will certainly be tested and we’ll see where he stands by the end of the season.
"With that being said, they are matches that Cheltsos should have won if he wants to be a legitimate B1G wrestler."

Exactly, so those results are a bit concerning. Btw, Repos beat Perentin 1-0 today. I'd be surprised if Perentin isn't a 4x NJSIAA placer and he'll probably win it all at least once.

Last edited:
I've considered Cheltsos a good get. It seems PA has the same weight classes as Jersey. Maybe he'll drop to 132 for the season. When he gets to Rutgers, he'll have some competition at 133 in Raimo and either Peterson or Shawver. If he can win a starting spot before his Junior year, it will be a very good accomplishment.

Yes, closing Casale is a must and gives us 2 blue chips for 2022. Is he going HWT or 197, and does he also want to play football?

Good point on the lower weights. Who wins in practice, Peterson or Shawver? Is 1 big enough to move up to 133 next season? To add to your point, A. Santaniello and Vazquez could be similar weights in college, 125 or 133, so landing both is unlikely.
Anthony Santaniello to OU

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT