ADVERTISEMENT

2023 NCAA Rutgers Seeds

Tough draw for Soldano as well. Gets Malczewski who beat him by MD 16-6 earlier this year.

Yup, lots of tough big ten opponents right off the bat.

Just about as unlucky a draw as any of these guys could have got. Peterson is probably in decent shape to make a run. Heilman I think could fair well in the wrestlebacks. Everything else could get ugly just because of how the seeds shook out. Can’t love all the big 10 draws in the early rounds.

Seriously, even at 174 some guys (like Starocci) look bigger and stronger than him.
I mean Starocci has a shot to be the only 5x champ in NCAA history so not really a fair comparison. Soldano looks like a good 174 pounder. Give him 3-4 more years of being in a big 10 practice room and weight room and I’m sure he’ll fill out more as he gets older.

After looking at the brackets, which path do you see is our best chance to get an AA??

Was hoping we'd avoid B1G wrestlers in the first round as much as possible. Three out of seven isn't too good.

Big 10 vs Big 10 in first round is annoying. Do they even try to avoid that at all during seeding or they just dont care?

I might have thought Peterson, but if things go as seeds suggest, he would need to beat DeAugustino to reach the blood round, then beat #7 seed Kaylor to AA. IF all goes according to seed and I have read it correctly.
Why is DeAugustino seeded so low….. and to beat Kaylor Peterson would need to continue his revenge tour…

Why is DeAugustino seeded so low….. and to beat Kaylor Peterson would need to continue his revenge tour…
Peterson having beaten Braxton Brown after being dominated in their first match is impressive. His losses to DeAugustino and Kaylor were both one-point losses. I don't recall precisely but will guess the difference was Peterson getting stuck on bottom. THAT is something he needs to be working on over the next week and may be critical to him pulling off wins with those two guys.

I've reviewed the draws again and don't see much chance for anyone but Peterson. Peterson can do it if he wrestles his best of the year and, of course, doesn't lay an egg or get injured against Ramos.

I've reviewed the draws again and don't see much chance for anyone but Peterson. Peterson can do it if he wrestles his best of the year and, of course, doesn't lay an egg or get injured against Ramos.
If Peterson loses to Ramos on championship side.. he’s going to run into the loser of DeAugstino/Cardinale.. on the back side.. I think Soldano might be our best shot to AA..

If Peterson loses to Ramos on championship side.. he’s going to run into the loser of DeAugstino/Cardinale.. on the back side.. I think Soldano might be our best shot to AA..
Peterson lost to DeAugustine and Kaylor by one point. Those two seem easier to overcome than Soldano getting past the loser of Romero/Brooks. Soldano also has to beat some higher seeds to even get that far. All these scenarios depend on opponents wrestling to seed and our guys wrestling above seed. We know anything can happen, but...

Cardinale had a limited amt of matches and mff out of the acc tourney. Would say he def has a shot there.

He can do it. This is his last go at wrestling, hopefully he'll be extra motivated
For all the knocks Goodale gets around here from the naysayers, one thing often overlooked is his ability to get seniors to go on serious runs in the tournament.

Helped Bulsak get over the hump last year, Ashnault to win his title, DelVecchio, Theobold. Got Perrotti there a 2nd time and Rivera a 4th. And I firmly believe Pagano was destined for something special as he was seriously heating up heading into the cancelled 2020 tournament. He also got JVB pretty damn close to the podium as well.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT