ADVERTISEMENT

5-Star Ace Bailey Is Taking Rutgers To Another Level This Season!

So ... of course, no highlights of the forced shots that missed ... but ... ridiculous highlights ... just ridiculous.

Perspective ... as I was watching the highlights, knowing them as just that, highlights ... still I was thinking of comparisons to Rutgers' players. There are none, of course, but still ... there were 2 RU players drafted in the 1st round of the NBA draft.

James Bailey was the overall 6th pick in the draft, a 1st or at worst 2nd Team All American. Douby was also a 1st round pick from RU.

You could make an argument that OFFENSIVELY, Bailey is sort of a combination of James Bailey and Quincy Douby ... Ace has skills and athleticism neither of those 2 RU players had, but each of those 2 players had skills Ace lacks (and I am talking just offensively).

For example, James Bailey had tremendous power moves from the post, including a 6' to 12' turn-around post move jump shot - which Ace Bailey may have some of, but is not a pure post player ... but Ace CAN hit turnaround jump shots, like James could - but from 16' to 18' out. James could dunk with the best of them (had 130+ dunks, leading the country, as a Junior) - but Ace can dunk from DRIVES (James not so much - mainly from alley-oops and post move dunks).

And, for example, Douby had unconscious, anywhere in the gym 3-point range. Ace appears to have pretty extended range also ... but Douby's PERCENTAGE from 3 was also outstanding ... though "just" 39% for his career ... which is very good for a career. I do not think we should consider Ace as such a good 3-point shooter ... but Douby could get his shot off the dribble, off screens, off drives, against most defenders. Ace has a similar ability to get off his shot even when contested - but of course is 6" or more taller than Douby.

Ace is a better dribble-penetrator than James, and much taller and even more athletic than Douby.

There were 2 other players that came to mind from RU history that were real offensive forces, each in their respective weaker conferences that RU played in: Keith Hughes (who also had some limited 3-point range, at 6'8" and a PF, close, but not quite, to a "stretch" 4 - they did not have that role back then). And Eric Riggins, who was a force from 16' and in, at 6'8" - fro a really bad team that had no other scoring options.

Just having fun, and obviously too much time on my hands ... trying to make sense of what Ace Bailey might be ... I know, I know ... we will see starting in November.

On a totally different topic, Dylan Harper ... there are literally no comparisons in RU history (at least with Ace you could make SOME, even if weak, comparisons).

So ... of course, no highlights of the forced shots that missed ... but ... ridiculous highlights ... just ridiculous.

Perspective ... as I was watching the highlights, knowing them as just that, highlights ... still I was thinking of comparisons to Rutgers' players. There are none, of course, but still ... there were 2 RU players drafted in the 1st round of the NBA draft.

James Bailey was the overall 6th pick in the draft, a 1st or at worst 2nd Team All American. Douby was also a 1st round pick from RU.

You could make an argument that OFFENSIVELY, Bailey is sort of a combination of James Bailey and Quincy Douby ... Ace has skills and athleticism neither of those 2 RU players had, but each of those 2 players had skills Ace lacks (and I am talking just offensively).

For example, James Bailey had tremendous power moves from the post, including a 6' to 12' turn-around post move jump shot - which Ace Bailey may have some of, but is not a pure post player ... but Ace CAN hit turnaround jump shots, like James could - but from 16' to 18' out. James could dunk with the best of them (had 130+ dunks, leading the country, as a Junior) - but Ace can dunk from DRIVES (James not so much - mainly from alley-oops and post move dunks).

And, for example, Douby had unconscious, anywhere in the gym 3-point range. Ace appears to have pretty extended range also ... but Douby's PERCENTAGE from 3 was also outstanding ... though "just" 39% for his career ... which is very good for a career. I do not think we should consider Ace as such a good 3-point shooter ... but Douby could get his shot off the dribble, off screens, off drives, against most defenders. Ace has a similar ability to get off his shot even when contested - but of course is 6" or more taller than Douby.

Ace is a better dribble-penetrator than James, and much taller and even more athletic than Douby.

There were 2 other players that came to mind from RU history that were real offensive forces, each in their respective weaker conferences that RU played in: Keith Hughes (who also had some limited 3-point range, at 6'8" and a PF, close, but not quite, to a "stretch" 4 - they did not have that role back then). And Eric Riggins, who was a force from 16' and in, at 6'8" - fro a really bad team that had no other scoring options.

Just having fun, and obviously too much time on my hands ... trying to make sense of what Ace Bailey might be ... I know, I know ... we will see starting in November.

On a totally different topic, Dylan Harper ... there are literally no comparisons in RU history (at least with Ace you could make SOME, even if weak, comparisons).
No need to strain to find a comparison for Ace in Rutgers history — there is none.

The better comparisons are in the NBA right now - Paul George, a slightly shorter Kevin Durant. We can only hope Ace performs like these guys.

• Love
Reactions: rubigtimenow
No need to strain to find a comparison for Ace in Rutgers history — there is none.

The better comparisons are in the NBA right now - Paul George, a slightly shorter Kevin Durant. We can only hope Ace performs like these guys.
Prolly very, very true ... I never watch the NBA, so I am stuck with trying to compare to other RU greats. And, yes, no true comps ... as I said, a combo of James Bailey (and his size and ridiculous athleticism for that size - people sometimes forget how rare that was 40 years ago ... and Bailey WAS a top 10 NBA draft pick) and the shooting and Wing play of Douby (maybe not quite the 3-point shooting, but overall shooting).

Interesting and well done comparisons, not so sure Douby played in a weaker conference! The Big East was pretty tough and he was routinely double teamed. Bailey could jump out of the gym but wouldn't be an ISO player like Ace will be.

Reactions: Newbrunfus
Having two elite players starting for Rutgers will truly be a season to remember.Team success will be dependent on the rest of the team playing positive supporting roles. Rebounding and making 3 point shots will be critical factors in achieving at least 20 season wins and being ranked no worse than 7th in B1G Ten rankings.There will be tremendous pressure on Bailey and Harper to perform at a very high level for team success and getting NBA drafted in the top 3 players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT