ADVERTISEMENT

Ace and Dylan Train With Giannis

Interesting.

In high school my kid was projected to be the 8th or 9th man on his team as a Junior, playing for a coach who only played 6 or 7 players (on purpose). But he had great court vision, though he had never worked on his "skills." (partly because he devoted his time to each sport he played only in its season - soccer in the Fall, basketball in the Winter and baseball in the Spring. He was also just 5'11" but had the skills of s defensive forward - and the 2 best players on the team were the 2G and a forward. We persuaded him if he wanted to get in the rotation, he needed private coaching to improve his GUARD skills (ball handling and more consistent outside shooting - his defense was already amongst the best on the team) ... he had to be able to play PG if he wanted to play. This video reminded me of how my son's private individual coach kept working, working, working him on several very specific drills to develop the muscle memory of the skills. FYI - he had a set back his Junior year when he broke his wrist playing soccer (still could play soccer, but ended his hoops drills), but by the time he was a Senior, working with the coach, he became the 6th man, playing back-up at both PG and point forward.

Point is: Working individually on skills WORKS, or all levels of players, and is a huge factor in development.

Sorry ... to THIS video: Loved watching players work very specific skills, with one of the best in the NBA - and seeing one aspect that NBA player worked at, repetitively.

I noticed several things, having watched many private drill sessions:

1) Man, Harper is SO fundamentally sound, and picks up the drills LIGHTENING fast.

2) Bailey is so athletically skilled - but definitely needs more fundamentals work. Notice how several times Gianni corrected Bailey on his shot "take-off" on the step back or fadeaway. The focus was trying to get Bailey to lift up off BOTH feet - that you could still get terrific step back or fadeaway with planting 2 feet ... and that Bailey still has a tendency to lift up off just his back foot (his left foot). Gianni explained several times how using 2 feet provides much better shooting balance. When Bailey pounds that into himself, and gets that 2-feet take-off second nature, he will REALLY be tough to stop. Using the left foot, 1-foot launch may work against players with much lesser athletic ability and/or smaller defenders, but it also increases the difficulty of a shot that could be much easier.

3) Bailey is NOT 6'10", no matter how much Pikiell or sportswriters say he is. He is 6'9" at best in this video (not sure when this was taken) - definitely at least 2" shorter, maybe a fraction more, than Gianni (who is 6'11").

4) Both Harper and Bailey showed, albeit briefly, pretty good on ball handling drills.

This video is great. You can see how talented they all are but also the difference in strength and precision of a pro of Giannis’ caliber.

His work ethic and tempo are also clearly off the charts too. I love the sense of urgency to the instruction and the mental stuff.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Giannis looked skinnier than usual in that get up he was wearing but he made Ace look like a little baby basketball forward by comparison. Maybe Ace is a two year college player…🤷‍♂️🤣
Kill spot!

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Interesting.

In high school my kid was projected to be the 8th or 9th man on his team as a Junior, playing for a coach who only played 6 or 7 players (on purpose). But he had great court vision, though he had never worked on his "skills." (partly because he devoted his time to each sport he played only in its season - soccer in the Fall, basketball in the Winter and baseball in the Spring. He was also just 5'11" but had the skills of s defensive forward - and the 2 best players on the team were the 2G and a forward. We persuaded him if he wanted to get in the rotation, he needed private coaching to improve his GUARD skills (ball handling and more consistent outside shooting - his defense was already amongst the best on the team) ... he had to be able to play PG if he wanted to play. This video reminded me of how my son's private individual coach kept working, working, working him on several very specific drills to develop the muscle memory of the skills. FYI - he had a set back his Junior year when he broke his wrist playing soccer (still could play soccer, but ended his hoops drills), but by the time he was a Senior, working with the coach, he became the 6th man, playing back-up at both PG and point forward.

Point is: Working individually on skills WORKS, or all levels of players, and is a huge factor in development.

Sorry ... to THIS video: Loved watching players work very specific skills, with one of the best in the NBA - and seeing one aspect that NBA player worked at, repetitively.

I noticed several things, having watched many private drill sessions:

1) Man, Harper is SO fundamentally sound, and picks up the drills LIGHTENING fast.

2) Bailey is so athletically skilled - but definitely needs more fundamentals work. Notice how several times Gianni corrected Bailey on his shot "take-off" on the step back or fadeaway. The focus was trying to get Bailey to lift up off BOTH feet - that you could still get terrific step back or fadeaway with planting 2 feet ... and that Bailey still has a tendency to lift up off just his back foot (his left foot). Gianni explained several times how using 2 feet provides much better shooting balance. When Bailey pounds that into himself, and gets that 2-feet take-off second nature, he will REALLY be tough to stop. Using the left foot, 1-foot launch may work against players with much lesser athletic ability and/or smaller defenders, but it also increases the difficulty of a shot that could be much easier.

3) Bailey is NOT 6'10", no matter how much Pikiell or sportswriters say he is. He is 6'9" at best in this video (not sure when this was taken) - definitely at least 2" shorter, maybe a fraction more, than Gianni (who is 6'11").

4) Both Harper and Bailey showed, albeit briefly, pretty good on ball handling drills.
I am going to respectfully disagree with your point on Ace shooting off of one foot. Giannis advice is correct for 99.9% of basketball players, and makes sense for him since he took up the game relatively late, isn’t as natural a shooter as Ace, is bulky and not as fluid. However, many elite scorers, Dirk, Durant, Steph and Doncic to name a few, often shoot off of one foot, because it creates more space and allows them to take a less contested shot.

Ace will also improve as he matures and bulks up through training and conditioning. He looks his age while Dylan looks like a seasoned pro. He just needs to work hard, listen to the experts and he'll be fine.

How come the rest of our team doesn’t get to train with Giannis . . . 🤣🤣🤣

Accoording to some, differences in NIL between players will lead to resentment and tank team chemistry.

I wonder those same people think this will also cause strife since certain players are receiving benefits other players are not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT