ADVERTISEMENT

After the MSU comeback, the Indiana game is now the biggest in years

Source

Heisman Winner
Aug 1, 2001
The only way Indiana wins is through the passing game. At this point I don’t see a running game which gives them a chance. Through the air? Maybe but our strength is our D against the run and yes also the pass . If we can establish our run game mixing in Solid QB play I like Rutgers chances even though the game is away. Anything can happen so we must be on top of the specials play and kicking game.

Reactions: Knight Shift
The only way Indiana wins is through the passing game. At this point I don’t see a running game which gives them a chance. Through the air? Maybe but our strength is our D against the run and yes also the pass . If we can establish our run game mixing in Solid QB play I like Rutgers chances even though the game is away. Anything can happen so we must be on top of the specials play and kicking game.
I don’t know. QB draws and scrambles seem to be our Achilles heel on D. If I was an opposing coach scouting against our defense, I’d go with my most mobile option at QB against us even if it meant playing a less reliable passer.

Reactions: Shelby65
Where are we with National rush stats? Don’t think Indiana has 800 yards rushing … passing 17-1900yards. Unless our D quits I don’t see it . Yes things happen but this a game we should win and even though it’s away . Tom Allen has lived off of motivational speeches. When Penni’s was there it was an offensive machine though I believe we beat them.

I don’t know if we can win again if we have to face both the opposing team and the refs.

Reactions: Lerxst72
Going into it, I thought MSU and IU should be wins and that's not changed for me. It took a round about way to an expected 1 score win over MSU but it happened.

IU wins are 4OTs against Akron. and Indiana State. They just changed their OC and I think the qb is different too.

It would be extremely disappointing if we don't come away with a win.

Going into seasons, it's hard to predict because you don't know how RU looks in real and you don't know how the opponents look in real. Once some games are played you have a better idea of how RU looks and how the opponents look. Given that we're past the halfway point of the season and there's a good idea what everyone looks like, IU should be a win.

Good article about the Indiana QB situation. They rotated QBs last week against Michigan with no success, so they will likely settle on one for our game. I know how all of us here love rotating QBs! Link: Indiana QBs

Indiana changes at quarterback and coaching staff.....

Who is IU football's QB? We're in Week 7, and we don't know — and neither does Tom Allen.​

Tom Allen is another example of why you don't give big long term contracts and guaranteed money off short term results. He did a nice job for 2 years (8 wins, 5-4 in conference and 6 wins 6-1 in conference, pandemic year) and would've even qualified for a 12 team playoff in the pandemic year. They've gone off a cliff since though.

Sounds like they would owe him over 20M if they fired him after this year. It drops to about 8M after next year.

Indiana (0-3 B1G, 2-4 overall)

(#3) Ohio State 23 Indiana 3
Indiana 41 Indiana State 7
Louisville 21 Indiana 14
Indiana 29 Akron 27 (4 overtimes)
Maryland 44 Indiana 17
(#2) Michigan 52 Indiana 7
Rutgers at Indiana (noon on BTN)

I expect a tough hard fought game. Allen will make this his team’s do or die game. He style is somewhat different . He uses that US against the WORLD mentality always. Hopefully we come out confident ( which we should) intent on reaching a known goal and continue to CHOP the moment.

Indiana is pretty much out of bowl contention and RU is on the cusp. IMO the conspiracy theory will mean that the BIG refs will sway towards RU and won't give IU preferential treatment. Interested to see if it actually works out that way.
Not sure of that thinking but we’ll see on Saturday.

Reactions: RUSK97
Not sure of that thinking but we’ll see on Saturday.
I don’t think the poster was saying we’ll get a friendly whistle. The point is if there were any truth whatsoever to the idea that reffing is skewed towards the outcome that will make the conference “look” the best, the whistle won’t favor Indiana.

we are not good enough to sleep on any of our BIG programs but this is the game I thought we'd get 5 if we were to do so. Now I think this is the game we get 6

Indiana is pretty much out of bowl contention and RU is on the cusp. IMO the conspiracy theory will mean that the BIG refs will sway towards RU and won't give IU preferential treatment. Interested to see if it actually works out that way.

Agreed. If you subscribe to the theory that the B1G has a rooting interest in games, then Rutgers would be the team that Chicago would prefer wins Saturday.

I don’t believe that is the case but is was definitely scratching my head last Saturday

Reactions: NotInRHouse
I don’t think the poster was saying we’ll get a friendly whistle. The point is if there were any truth whatsoever to the idea that reffing is skewed towards the outcome that will make the conference “look” the best, the whistle won’t favor Indiana.
The bottom line is the refs have to chill on the defensive pass interference calls. We are getting killed because all our opponent has to do is throw a jump ball and the refs will give them 15 yards and a first down.

Honestly, I am seeing that all over the place, in the NFL too. Calls/rules are just slanted to the O now.
Along these lines, from watching both leagues, good luck trying to figure out whether they will call targeting or not. I've seen the flag picked up on vicious attempts to injure a defenseless player and then you have the situation with Powell. It all seems very arbitrary.

Reactions: czxqa and RUPete
Not sure this far into our B1G journey I would agree. Maybe because we were so bad ( refs know the teams , coaches and standings). What we witnessed on this past Saturday could have cost us dearly. We ain’t Michigan, OSU nor PSU … as much as people think there is bias … guess what there is. It may be not on purpose but is there.

I’d settle for an evenly called game on the road. Let the teams decide who wins

Reactions: RUBOB72
IU is going to give it all. Homecoming, and they see this as a winnable game on the schedule. It is boring rhetoric, but turnovers are everything. We are better than IU. Luv GS, but we can all go back to games in this tenure and the last, where our expectations were very high and we laid an egg....UConn, Cincy, Maryland. This is a business trip.

The other angle on securing. a bowl berth this early, it allows GS to set things in motion. He will probably have a good idea of the venues as the weeks go by, You know he will be great on weaving in the schedule for recruiting, practice, bowl week prep, events in and around the bowl.

Homecoming at IU means a bigger than usual tailgate and roudier bars on Kirkwood (and it’s always pretty rowdy on Saturday night) , but crowd at the game, if past record holds, won’t be very large or loud.
Many, if not most IU fans have turned their attention to hoops season.

Reactions: TRU2RU
IU is going to give it all. Homecoming, and they see this as a winnable game on the schedule. It is boring rhetoric, but turnovers are everything. We are better than IU. Luv GS, but we can all go back to games in this tenure and the last, where our expectations were very high and we laid an egg....UConn, Cincy, Maryland. This is a business trip.

The other angle on securing. a bowl berth this early, it allows GS to set things in motion. He will probably have a good idea of the venues as the weeks go by, You know he will be great on weaving in the schedule for recruiting, practice, bowl week prep, events in and around the bowl.
In fairness, I think this is the first game like this where we have the upper hand talent wise. The Maryland team in 2021 had more talent than us. The closest thing to this situation was the loss at NW. but even then - we lost that game in the trenches. Losing O’Neal and Sutton was tough to overcome. That was right in the thick of those injuries if I recall. We probably would’ve won with a healthy O’Neal.

Reactions: Antnee79 and czxqa
I am putting the breaks on being too positive on us beating IU. I looked at their schedule and box scores and wondered what our record would be if we had that schedule. I would think we would have the same record.

They played OSU tough. Louisville is a very good team and was a 7 point loss. As stated above they will have a nice crowd so we need to hit them in the mouth early to get the crowd out of the game.

On the positive side we beat them last year and we are better team this year but not sure if they are better. As GS said they have a bunch of transfers that are playing well together. If we get our running game going early we should win. I will be very nervous at noon and hopefully very happy at 3.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I am putting the breaks on being too positive on us beating IU. I looked at their schedule and box scores and wondered what our record would be if we had that schedule. I would think we would have the same record.

They played OSU tough. Louisville is a very good team and was a 7 point loss. As stated above they will have a nice crowd so we need to hit them in the mouth early to get the crowd out of the game.

On the positive side we beat them last year and we are better team this year but not sure if they are better. As GS said they have a bunch of transfers that are playing well together. If we get our running game going early we should win. I will be very nervous at noon and hopefully very happy at 3.
We may have the same record- but even up- they were dominated by Mich and it took some early crap to let them win by as much as they did against us.
Their two wins- Yeah- we would have won those games too but no way either of them are going 4 OT.

Their wins tell you more then their losses do.

Reactions: TRU2RU
I put IU in the same quality category of NW and VT. No turnovers, barely any penalties, solid ST’s/field position - as long as the running game isn’t completely shutdown, we win.
I agree with this- though, I wish they played NWU this year...I think NWU beats them by 10- VaTech beats them similar

He’s a good coach. Last time we went out there with a chance of a bowl bid they destroyed us and only a freak thunderstorm prevented another 60-7 drubbing.

Don’t sleep on them.

He’s a good coach. Last time we went out there with a chance of a bowl bid they destroyed us and only a freak thunderstorm prevented another 60-7 drubbing.

Don’t sleep on them.
Maybe I just looked back and missed something but we won the last 2 meetings -home and away. and the year before- not a real blow out

Tom Allen is another example of why you don't give big long term contracts and guaranteed money off short term results. He did a nice job for 2 years (8 wins, 5-4 in conference and 6 wins 6-1 in conference, pandemic year) and would've even qualified for a 12 team playoff in the pandemic year. They've gone off a cliff since though.

Sounds like they would owe him over 20M if they fired him after this year. It drops to about 8M after next year.
My Co-AD throwing down the hammer, and I'm right behind you!!! I read in comments to the student newspaper article that much of the Athletic Dept money goes towards men's basketball-if that is reliable. They may need to suck it up for another year.

Exhibit A: Mel Tucker.
Exhibit B: Tom Allen
Exhibit C: PJ Fleck or Bret Bielema?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT