ADVERTISEMENT

An interesting article reviewing the history of Rutgers' Architecture

Good points...
"First, don't send for an architect to do a master planner's job. And second, be wary of stacking the deck with modernists with big egos. It is bad enough when you give them the run of the building. When you suggest they can have a whole campus, you will have trouble on your hands.

There are lessons for presidents, too. First, don't get bullied by the art 'n arch crowd to make these mistakes."

Ah, that 2006 competition. I remember it being discussed ad nauseum in the Targum. Did they really do all of that for nothing, or are they using a little bit of the ideas in the new construction?

I do like what they're actually putting up, but I have to admit that the underground dining hall/ study lounge would have been cool.

I don't believe that there is a even single brick in the current College Ave projects that relates to anything that resulted from that competition.

Thank goodness.

There's nothing. I still think there were aspects of t the norton plan that add value to college ave. ie building behind the barn and having a concise path to the river with a new building at its terminus

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT