ADVERTISEMENT

Any news on RAC namimg rights ?

That's something I've wondered about myself since TP was here. I'd guess IMG is leading the search for a sponsor.

I've always wondered if we might not get a better deal from a foreign company like Haier, LG, etc who might want a little better exposure here. I think LG at one type was thinking about moving their HQ to New Brunswick but they ended up building it in a different part of NJ.

If a company comes forward I think they would want a clause that the naming rights would transfer to a new facility if the RAC is replaced before the contract is up.

Also, what kind of exposure does the RAC provide to a company compared to Rutgers Stadium?

If RU has 6 home football games and averages 50k fans then 300k fans saw the naming rights. Plus with Ohio St, Michigan, and Penn St visiting we get national exposure.

For hoops if we have 20 home games and average 8500 fans then only 170k fans would see the naming rights. With hoops we get less nationally broadcast weekend games for the entire country to see. Since the arena is barely used outside of Rutgers events we do not have the pull of a Yum Center (Louisville, KY), a Pinnacle Bank arena (Lincoln, NB), or Wells Fargo arena (Tempe, AZ). In NJ special events would rather go to MSG (NY), Barclays Ctr (Brooklyn), Prudential Center (Newark), PNC Bank Arts Center (Holmdel), Susquehanna Bank Arena (Camden), Wells Fargo Center (Philly), or to the various venues in AC. To make it viable Rutgers would need to try and get into the outside event hosting business. Rutgers Stadium is a nice midway point between PNC Bank Arts Ctr (17k seats) and Met Life Stadium (80k seats) for concerts of the 30-45k capacity. An updated RAC probably can host winter concerts that are too small for the Pru Center (19k capacity) but bigger than the State Theater (2k capacity).

Apparently the makers of Tidy Bowl are very interested. They say they can really relate to the RU hoops product.

I heard the push is to partner with a name that fits the image of the RAC. Something contemporaneous like Hai Karate Court at The American Motors Company Arena.

and I heard it was in serious talks with a group of civil war rein actors who want to name it the Merrimack.

Isn't the RAC named after Louis Brown? Louis Brown Athletic Center?

Was in the RAC today, they're upgrading piping/Air Conditioning. Those older pipes with the vents are apparently going the way of the Dodo bird.

Originally posted by Sir ScarletKnight:

Was in the RAC today, they're upgrading piping/Air Conditioning. Those older pipes with the vents are apparently going the way of the Dodo bird.
Every little bit helps.

Originally posted by Sir ScarletKnight:

Yes it is but the athletic department has been looking to sell the rights since TP was AD. I'm not sure how it would work maybe something like they have at Ohio State. They sold the rights to Value City and it's called Value City Arena at Jerome Schottenstein Center. I think they got 12.5M for the rights. Maryland got 20M for 25 years from Comcast. It's now called Xfinity Center and I think they got 5M for naming the court. Both of these are multipurpose centers though IIRC.

From an article when we sold the stadiums naming rights.

Rutgers hired Brooklyn Sports & Entertainment and IMG College in June 2010 to broker a naming rights deal for Rutgers Stadium and the Rutgers Athletic Center, the school's basketball arena.

This post was edited on 2/26 7:36 AM by rutgersguy1

More and more colleges are now earning $$$ off naming rights fees, as obviously one of the first was the Carrier Dome at Syracuse which sold naming rights to Carrier for $2.75 Million for a lifetime deal back in 1980 (total bargain in today's $$).

Here's a list of some schools that are receiving $$$ for naming rights for their arenas:

Hank McCamish Pavilion: Ga Tech ($15 Million family gift for naming rights for recent renovation)
KFC Yum Center: Louisville
BankUnited Center: Miami
Fifth Third (Bank) Arena: Cincinnati
CFE Arena: UCF
The Bank of Kentucky Center: Northern Kentucky
United Spirit Arena: Texas Tech
State Farm Center: Univ of Illinois
Value City Arena: Ohio State
Kohl Center: Univ of Wisconsin
Taco Bell Arena: Boise State
Save Mart Center: Fresno State ($40 Million over 20 years)
First National Bank Center: North Dakota ($7.2 Million over 20 years, think they play hockey there too)
SECU (Credit Union) Arena: Towson State ($4.75 Million over 10 years)
Comcast Center: Maryland
Wells Fargo Arena: Arizona State ($5 Million over 10 years)
Galen Center: USC (Donor gave $25 Million for naming rights of new arena)
Matthew Knight Arena: Nike's Phil Knight named arena in honor after his son, Matthew who died in a scuba diving accident

Other schools play at off-campus arenas, (some with NHL/NBA tennants), like Memphis (FedEx Forum) , NC State (Reynolds Center), that I don't think receive naming rights $$$...others like DePaul play at AllState Arena.
AllState Arena: DePaul (off-campus)

How about Home Depot or Lowes? The place is perfect for the fixer uppers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT