ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Aundre Hyatt plays well in Greece before tweaking ankle

This is incorrect. He scored 14 points in game 1, and then sprained his ankle early on in game 2 and did not play in game 3. The facebook page for the group that sponsored the trip incorrectly reported him as scoring 11 points in game 2, but the video of the game (and his injury) is there and he only scored 2 points in 11 minutes before getting hurt. Whoever typed up the stat post said he scored 11 points in 11 minutes. Rutgers basketball saw that and took 14 + 11 and divided it by 2 games to get 12.5 ppg.

This is incorrect. He scored 14 points in game 1, and then sprained his ankle early on in game 2 and did not play in game 3. The facebook page for the group that sponsored the trip incorrectly reported him as scoring 11 points in game 2, but the video of the game (and his injury) is there and he only scored 2 points in 11 minutes before getting hurt. Whoever typed up the stat post said he scored 11 points in 11 minutes. Rutgers basketball saw that and took 14 + 11 and divided it by 2 games to get 12.5 ppg.

The PPG isn't relevant to what and why Hyatt was selected to play with this team. Whether he played 1 game, 2 games or all 3, it's the exposure, workouts, practices and everything else that comes with the bonding and being away from home.

I don't think we should take anything in either direction from Hyatt in Greece and try and apply that towards what matters in actual CBB or B1G games for RU.

I would immediately look for Hyatt to be better defensively and his best value will be to help Cliff on the glass with his rebounding. Preventing 2nd shots, while Cliff may go for a blocked shot, is where Hyatt is going impact winning for RU. We can get distracted with 3PT shooting percentages and other items, but if you don't clean the glass, you'll lose more than you should.

Hyatt can rebound and has a presence more along the baseline and paint, more than the 3rd guard role he played at LSU and how he was used here with RHJ ahead of him.

What I hope to see from Hyatt......
Versatile guy that can play 3,4 or 5 if needed (with 4 as his primary position)
Holds his on defensively and not be a liability
Be a plus rebounder on both ends
Have some nights (not all) where he is on and be a 2nd or 3rd scoring option
Dive on the floor and take charges and be a good teammate.

What I hope to see from Hyatt......
Versatile guy that can play 3,4 or 5 if needed (with 4 as his primary position)
Holds his on defensively and not be a liability
Be a plus rebounder on both ends
Have some nights (not all) where he is on and be a 2nd or 3rd scoring option
Dive on the floor and take charges and be a good teammate.
Hyatt will score 10 ppg next year and do all those things you mentioned.

PREDICTION: Rutgers will have "Five Guys" score 10+ ppg next year. Defense just needs to stay consistent.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peteyd
I highly doubt Hyatt averages 10 PPG. If I were a betting man........22MPG 6 PPG 4.5 Rebounds
I could see 25 mpg. He averaged 4 this year in 12 mpg. So, his points increases by only 2 per game with starter minutes? IMO, better shot selection and more minutes will get him to about 10 ppg.

Last edited:
Reactions: LOU-RU85
I could see 25 mpg. He averaged 4 this year in 12 mpg. So, his points increases by only 2 per game with starter minutes? IMO, better shot selection and more minutes will get him to about 10 ppg.
Here is how I see it.......

In PEN

5 is Cliff and Deans AND Miller gets 10 MPG and Calbe and Paul get 32 MPG each

IN PENCIL

86 minutes LEFT
Spencer, Simpson, Mag, and Hyatt

I am hoping (really hoping) that Spencer makes the trasition AND Simpson is ready. If you are taking #0 you better be ready!!!!!
I am confident Mag will earn more minutes than Hyatt. Unless Hyatt takes a remarkable leap in Year 4 I feel his minutes are a barometer (negative correlation) of how good we will be.

Reactions: bac2therac
Can Hyatt turn out to be our version of Kyle Young at the 4 from OSU but with a better outside shot?

Here is how I see it.......

In PEN

5 is Cliff and Deans AND Miller gets 10 MPG and Calbe and Paul get 32 MPG each

IN PENCIL

86 minutes LEFT
Spencer, Simpson, Mag, and Hyatt

I am hoping (really hoping) that Spencer makes the trasition AND Simpson is ready. If you are taking #0 you better be ready!!!!!
I am confident Mag will earn more minutes than Hyatt. Unless Hyatt takes a remarkable leap in Year 4 I feel his minutes are a barometer (negative correlation) of how good we will be.
I agree that Mag and Hyatt will compete for minutes. My main concern with Hyatt is that he isn't nearly as good a defender as Mag. Mag has quicker hands and feet and seems a much more willing and knowledgeable defender than Hyatt. Hyatt has a bigger body and can probably do a better job of bodying up an opposing 4 and Hyatt, based on last season, was a more effective offensive player than Mag. So while I don't necessarily think that Mag will earn more minutes than Hyatt, I wouldn't pencil in Hyatt right now as being the starting 4 come league play.

I agree that Mag and Hyatt will compete for minutes. My main concern with Hyatt is that he isn't nearly as good a defender as Mag. Mag has quicker hands and feet and seems a much more willing and knowledgeable defender than Hyatt. Hyatt has a bigger body and can probably do a better job of bodying up an opposing 4 and Hyatt, based on last season, was a more effective offensive player than Mag. So while I don't necessarily think that Mag will earn more minutes than Hyatt, I wouldn't pencil in Hyatt right now as being the starting 4 come league play.
Pencils have erasers

The PPG isn't relevant to what and why Hyatt was selected to play with this team. Whether he played 1 game, 2 games or all 3, it's the exposure, workouts, practices and everything else that comes with the bonding and being away from home.

I don't think we should take anything in either direction from Hyatt in Greece and try and apply that towards what matters in actual CBB or B1G games for RU.

I would immediately look for Hyatt to be better defensively and his best value will be to help Cliff on the glass with his rebounding. Preventing 2nd shots, while Cliff may go for a blocked shot, is where Hyatt is going impact winning for RU. We can get distracted with 3PT shooting percentages and other items, but if you don't clean the glass, you'll lose more than you should.

Hyatt can rebound and has a presence more along the baseline and paint, more than the 3rd guard role he played at LSU and how he was used here with RHJ ahead of him.
I think Hyatt is going to be a big contributor for us this year. Big. He'll probably come close to tripling his PPG.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT