ADVERTISEMENT

B10 Tournament Seeds

sammybb

All Conference
Jul 25, 2001
Can someone help me figure out what the outlook for B10 tourney seeds is with one game left?

I think the top 3 are pretty locked:

1. MD (technically, if MD loses their final game and Iowa wins, I think Iowa owns the tiebreaker, but MD's last game is against last place Illinois at home)
2. Iowa
3. RU

But after that there are 7 teams between 10-7 and 8-9. I think Michigan owns the tie breaker over Ohio St for the final double bye spot, but after that I'm very confused.

Here are the final seven games:

March 2, 2019
Illinois at Maryland College Park, MD
Nebraska at Penn State University Park, PA
Mar. 3, 2019
Purdue at Indiana Bloomington, IN
Wisconsin at Michigan Ann Arbor, MI
Rutgers at Ohio State Columbus, OH
Northwestern at Iowa Iowa City, IA
Michigan State at Minnesota

Assuming the tie breaker rule is the same as on the men's side...

First tiebreaker is head to head among the teams tied for a spot. So let's say two teams are tied and only one beat the other HTH this season. That team gets the better seed. If they split, next tie breaker is who had the best win in conference play. So if someone upset Maryland (Michigan State), they get the advantage.

If three or more teams are tied for a spot (likely to happen), then record vs. teams in that tied group is the first tiebreaker. Doesn't matter if they all played the same number of games within that group.

Michigan has tiebreaker over Ohio State and will be 4th if they beat Wisconsin.

Ohio State beat Michigan State 2x but lost to Northwestern 1x. Northwestern also beat Michigan State when they played. So Northwestern would win any ties with one or two of those teams.

I'm not digging into tiebreaker scenarios if Northwestern and Michigan State lose, and teams behind them win to create a bunch of 9-9 teams.

Reactions: sammybb
For those that have actually watched more of our games (I don't have BTN+), anyone have a preferred 6 seed for our likely first opponent? If we win Sunday, it could be Ohio State if Northwestern wins and Michigan State loses. Probably will be one of those three IMO.

More seeds locked in today, so here's what we have:

1. Maryland
2. Iowa
3. Rutgers
12. Penn State
13. Wisconsin
14. Illinois

The other 8 spots are still uncertain.

Reactions: MADHAT1
As the #3 seed we will play on Friday against the winner of the game between #6 nebraska and the winner of Game2 (played Thursday)
Game 2 is Wednesday with #11 purdue and #14 Illinois.

if the seeds hold we would face #2 Iowa in the semi-finals Saturday

huge that we got Nebby as the 6th instead of OSU

After what happened to OSU in the 2nd half today, they might not be very excited to play RU again.

From a pure RPI perspective, though, it's about a wash. OSU has a slightly worse RPI but a better overall record.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT