7. Iowa
8. Rutgers
9. Michigan
10. Penn State
11. Northwestern
12. Minnesota
13. Maryland
14 Nebraska

Starting to come into better focus that we have basically have 3 tiers of Big 10 schools and then one terrible school in a class by themselves named Nebraska/

Alot of jockeying at the top but I think the top 5 have clearly separated themselves from the rest of the pack. Not entirely sold on Ohio State being as good as the top 4 but for now I will put them in the top grouping. Think you can put all of them in a boggle dome and shake them based on their schedule for each week. This week, we saw Purdue win at Illinois but lose at Indiana. Michigan State come off a loss at Northwestern and win at Wisconsin. Illinois not only lost to Purdue but inexplicably at Maryland. Based on Purdue's hard fought win at Illinois but tough close loss at Indiana, going to put them at the top by the narrowest of margins. Think of all the Big 10 schools they have the best shot at post season success even though standing wise they are tied for 5th with Rutgers. Wisconsin was really rolling but yet look awful on their home court by Michigan State/ Sparty has a tough stretch this week travelling to Illinois and then coming home to face Michigan. Illinois could be in trouble if Cockburn is out for an extended period of time.

Then we get to the middle of the pack who have some nice wins but at varying points have shown some weaknesses. This is your grouping of bubble type schools. Looking like at least 2 NCAA bids in this group with a third still a possibility. Indiana would appear to be in the best shape after their win over Purdue yet the Hoosiers were easily dispatched by Michigan. No shame in Iowa losing at Rutgers and handled Penn State impressively. Rating them ahead of RU who really floundered a huge opportunity for a road win over a depleted Minnesota. Knights too up and down Michigan came back from covid dead in pretty fine form and the road win at Indiana might have signaled they could be ready for a second half push.

Then there is a group a cut below the middle. Its not a bad grouping and they all have wins over schools rated higher than them, its just that they tend to lose alot. Penn State plays hard but doesn't have the firepower to string wins together. Northwestern played Wisconsin really tough after upsetting Sparty but did not look good vs Purdue. Minnesota shot the lights out in knocking off Rutgers but now face a 4 game gauntlet. Maryland took advantage of an Illinois meltdown for just their 2nd league win but where exactly are they going.

Nebraska..now on covid pause nuff said

It helps but we wont know until everything shakes out..another 10-12 conference games to go

Acc should still get 5...the big 12 could get 8!

1. Purdue
2. Michigan State
3. Wisconsin
4. Illinois
5. Ohio State
6. Indiana
7. Iowa
8. Rutgers
9. Michigan
10. Penn State
11. Northwestern
12. Minnesota
13. Maryland
14 Nebraska

Starting to come into better focus that we have basically have 3 tiers of Big 10 schools and then one terrible school in a class by themselves named Nebraska/

Alot of jockeying at the top but I think the top 5 have clearly separated themselves from the rest of the pack. Not entirely sold on Ohio State being as good as the top 4 but for now I will put them in the top grouping. Think you can put all of them in a boggle dome and shake them based on their schedule for each week. This week, we saw Purdue win at Illinois but lose at Indiana. Michigan State come off a loss at Northwestern and win at Wisconsin. Illinois not only lost to Purdue but inexplicably at Maryland. Based on Purdue's hard fought win at Illinois but tough close loss at Indiana, going to put them at the top by the narrowest of margins. Think of all the Big 10 schools they have the best shot at post season success even though standing wise they are tied for 5th with Rutgers. Wisconsin was really rolling but yet look awful on their home court by Michigan State/ Sparty has a tough stretch this week travelling to Illinois and then coming home to face Michigan. Illinois could be in trouble if Cockburn is out for an extended period of time.

Then we get to the middle of the pack who have some nice wins but at varying points have shown some weaknesses. This is your grouping of bubble type schools. Looking like at least 2 NCAA bids in this group with a third still a possibility. Indiana would appear to be in the best shape after their win over Purdue yet the Hoosiers were easily dispatched by Michigan. No shame in Iowa losing at Rutgers and handled Penn State impressively. Rating them ahead of RU who really floundered a huge opportunity for a road win over a depleted Minnesota. Knights too up and down Michigan came back from covid dead in pretty fine form and the road win at Indiana might have signaled they could be ready for a second half push.

Then there is a group a cut below the middle. Its not a bad grouping and they all have wins over schools rated higher than them, its just that they tend to lose alot. Penn State plays hard but doesn't have the firepower to string wins together. Northwestern played Wisconsin really tough after upsetting Sparty but did not look good vs Purdue. Minnesota shot the lights out in knocking off Rutgers but now face a 4 game gauntlet. Maryland took advantage of an Illinois meltdown for just their 2nd league win but where exactly are they going.

Nebraska..now on covid pause nuff said
Not putting Indiana or Iowa ahead of Rutgers. Indiana has exactly one road win also and just lost to Michigan who we beat. If these are the Power Rankings as of today and not what is projected down the road , disagree with our placing. Not sure Ohio State deserves such love as they have hardly played anyone yet . Your putting Purdue #1 with 3 conference losses versus 1 loss Michigan State is suspect. If this is again your future predictions that is a different story but I am presuming this is a current rating.

Not putting Indiana or Iowa ahead of Rutgers. Indiana has exactly one road win also and just lost to Michigan who we beat. If these are the Power Rankings as of today and not what is projected down the road , disagree with our placing. Not sure Ohio State deserves such love as they have hardly played anyone yet . Your putting Purdue #1 with 3 conference losses versus 1 loss Michigan State is suspect. If this is again your future predictions that is a different story but I am presuming this is a current rating.

Did you read the commentary

Michigan State lost at home to Northwestern

Rutgers just lost to a depleted Minnesota. A bad loss

Indiana just beat Purdue before their no show today

I think Purdue is the best. They played 2 very tough slugfest this week. Just explained in the comments the top5 are in the same tier and will take turns jockeying around

Ohio State has a win over Wisconsin

Just because a school beats another school doesn't mean they should be ahead.should Penn State be above Rutgers

Last edited:
Reactions: RUkhoury
Does the ACC's down year maybe help the B1G get an extra bid or two they might not have earned in other years?
ACC is down but BIG 12 and SEC are better and will have a chance for 7-8 each plus the WCC might get 4 . Big East could go either way. PAC 12 could get 5 with Colorado and Stanford being the 5th. It will be tight either way.

I think Purdue is the best. They played 2 very tough slugfest this week. Just explained in the comments the top5 are in the same tier and will take turns jockeying around

Just because a school beats another school doesn't mean they should be ahead.should Penn State be above Rutgers
Beat Northwestern on the road and Minnesota 2x when Minnesota was at full strength and went into Wisconsin and broke their streak rather convincingly

Really start to think that with the out of concrence record we have ...it’s critical that we finish 6th ahead of Iowa , Michigan , Indiana

We are 2-0 against this group ...think we almost must get a split later against Michigan and Indiana on road ...If not win both ....

Agree..have to get one of those since we lost to Minny..they would be better wins..

Reactions: Scangg
Beat Northwestern on the road and Minnesota 2x when Minnesota was at full strength and went into Wisconsin and broke their streak rather convincingly

5 of their wins are vs the bottom teams. The win at Wisconsin was huge but I can't put a team that loses at home to Northwestern at the top. Purdue who i said i put tops by the slimmest of margins was beat by a half court heave and 2 close games against ncaa type teams

Did you read the commentary

It is not 1 win. We beat Purdue , Michigan and Iowa , teams you deem worthy of being # 1 , #6 # 9 . Conference record matters in power rankings.

We lost to two bottom schools Minnesota and Penn State

Sorry you think Rutgers should be top 5 for losing to a depleted team on the road

Remember im grouping these schools into tiers. Within each tier there really isnt much seperating them.its subjective whether im putting Iowa ahead of Rutgers

Last edited:
Reactions: RU#1fan
It helps but we wont know until everything shakes out..another 10-12 conference games to go

Acc should still get 5...the big 12 could get 8!

Oklahoma State is not eligible for the NCAAs, due to violations in recruiting from the prior coaching staff.

Big 12 should land with 7, but Iowa State who was as high as the Top 10 2 or 3 weeks ago, and was picked last in the preseason rankings, are now 2-5 in Big 12 play, after losing at home by 15 to TCU.

Conference record matters in power rankings.
That’s not an axiom or anything. Feel free to consider it as a factor in your opinion but there’s no law that says it has to be so. The fact that Purdue’s losses are in conference vs other teams that had losses out of conference is not a reason to move Purdue down imo

We lost to two bottom schools Minnesota and Penn State

Sorry you think Rutgers should be top 5 for losing to a depleted team on the road

Remember im grouping these schools into tiers. Within each tier there really isnt much seperating them.its subjective whether im putting Iowa ahead of Rutgers
Well said

If anything putting us at #8 is giving us a pass for the beginning of the season. I can't imagine arguing that we should be higher.

If anything putting us at #8 is giving us a pass for the beginning of the season. I can't imagine arguing that we should be higher.

Right now Rutgers is so tough to place. Great wins at home but then following it up by losing to lesser on road. Indiana another one tough to place since they also struggle on the road. I think the Hoosiers are much more situated for a NCAA run then RU

What do the power rankings mean. Is it based on what the team has done. Or where they are ranked in terms of the team they are right now.

I don't think Michigan, Indiana, or Iowa are worse than us. Obviously results on the court say different. That was Rutgers on one day.

tough to place Michigan as well given the loss at RU, signs of life yesterday but remember they had two big games cancelled as well. Need to see how they compete against the top and they have MSU this weekend. I think CURRENTLY the 4 in the middle tier are very very close. A month from now, one of these schools will be fading away.

How about if you ranked them based on probabilities of making NCAAs....
TIER 1 (definites)
1. Purdue
2. Michigan State
3. Wisconsin
4. Illinois
5. Ohio State

Tier 2 (probables)
6. Indiana
7. Iowa

Tier 3 (on the fence)
8. Michigan

Tier 4 (slim to none)
9. Minnesota
10. Rutgers

Tier 5 (need to win B1GT)
11. Penn State
12. Northwestern
13. Maryland
14. Nebraska

agree with this..most likely predictions would say this. Yet we still have a dozen conference games to go. Could see some surprises pop up, there always are.

How about if you ranked them based on probabilities of making NCAAs....
TIER 1 (definites)
1. Purdue
2. Michigan State
3. Wisconsin
4. Illinois
5. Ohio State

Tier 2 (probables)
6. Indiana
7. Iowa

Tier 3 (on the fence)
8. Michigan

Tier 4 (slim to none)
9. Minnesota
10. Rutgers

Tier 5 (need to win B1GT)
11. Penn State
12. Northwestern
13. Maryland
14. Nebraska

Sure, but that's a different type of ranking.

I've always seen "power rankings" as "what team is more dangerous than what other team, right now". That is to say, who would I most/least want to play this week. Sometimes teams get it together by the end of the season and would be higher in a "power ranking" but less likely to make the tournament, or they could have had big early season resume wins, but have now lost 1-2 players for the season and would be lower in the "power ranking".

That's just the way I've always read power rankings, but that may just be me.

I agree 100% on your buckets and that’s really the big thing that matters. I approve your message!
To nitpick, in the middle I would probably go Iowa Michigan Rutgers Indiana but the difference minimal (I thought, who would win at full strength on neutral court).
And I would def have Minnesota as 2nd worst.

If we're just looking at "tiers" based on games won and lost (and to whom and where, and what their COVID circumstances were), I would slot them like this. The teams within the tiers are not in any order, hence no numerical ranking, so I put them in alphabetical order within each tier:

Tier 1:
Illinois
Michigan State
Ohio State
Purdue
Wisconsin

Tier 2:
Indiana
Iowa
Michigan
Rutgers

Tier 3:
Maryland
Minnesota
Northwestern
Penn State

Tier 4:
Nebraska

If the season ended today, the B1G would only have 7 teams in the NCAA tournament (the five Tier 1 teams, plus Indiana and Iowa from Tier 2). Rutgers and Michigan and all of the Tier 3 teams have ALOT of work to do in order to get onto the Bubble and then into the 68 team field.

Reactions: Danprusa_4
michigan is up to 38 in the NET..their win at indiana was huge. I think they are setting themselves up pretty good but those two makeup games have yet to be scheduled

Sure, but that's a different type of ranking.

I've always seen "power rankings" as "what team is more dangerous than what other team, right now". That is to say, who would I most/least want to play this week. Sometimes teams get it together by the end of the season and would be higher in a "power ranking" but less likely to make the tournament, or they could have had big early season resume wins, but have now lost 1-2 players for the season and would be lower in the "power ranking".

That's just the way I've always read power rankings, but that may just be me.
i quite honestly don't know what power rankings are. I know what standings are,

Michigan probably needs 2-3 games less in the win column than Rutgers. They also have Dickinson, Brooks, Diabate and Houstan.

Rutgers should not be in Degaz-RU 2nd tier

Based on season to date performance and resume:

TIER 1
Purdue
Michigan State
Wisconsin

TIER 2
Ohio State
Illinois
Iowa
Indiana

TIER 3
Minnesota
Michigan

TIER 4
Penn State
Northwestern
Maryland
Rutgers

TIER 5
Nebraska

Based on season to date performance and resume:

TIER 1
Purdue
Michigan State
Wisconsin

TIER 2
Ohio State
Illinois
Iowa
Indiana

TIER 3
Minnesota
Michigan

TIER 4
Penn State
Northwestern
Maryland
Rutgers

TIER 5
Nebraska

see I take issue with this...there is no way Rutgers is in tier 4 since they beat Purdue and Iowa and also Michigan, the resume says RU is 5-3 in league, NW/MD are freaking 2-6. Minnesota is what 2-6 or 2-5

see I take issue with this...there is no way Rutgers is in tier 4 since they beat Purdue and Iowa and also Michigan, the resume says RU is 5-3 in league, NW/MD are freaking 2-6. Minnesota is what 2-6 or 2-5
Including OOC too, not weighting recent play any more heavily.

There's really no set definition for what "power rankings" are. If someone's definition is the strength of the team right now and for the immediate future, then weighting recent performance more heavily makes sense, and weighting early season games the same makes less sense. I generally look at power rankings as being the purely subjective relative strength of teams "right now", so the first few games of the season aren't as meaningful as what we've seen recently. Others have a different view.

To me, we're not the same team right now that we were at the start of the season. We're seeing a different rotation, and players are starting to emerge and/or settle in. I'm sure a lot of other teams are seeing the same, as coaches adjust throughout the year.

Reactions: fluoxetine
There's really no set definition for what "power rankings" are. If someone's definition is the strength of the team right now and for the immediate future, then weighting recent performance more heavily makes sense, and weighting early season games the same makes less sense. I generally look at power rankings as being the purely subjective relative strength of teams "right now", so the first few games of the season aren't as meaningful as what we've seen recently. Others have a different view.

To me, we're not the same team right now that we were at the start of the season. We're seeing a different rotation, and players are starting to emerge and/or settle in. I'm sure a lot of other teams are seeing the same, as coaches adjust throughout the year.
Let’s see what you say in 24 hours

Let’s see what you say in 24 hours
I don't do power rankings, because I don't follow the rest of the conference closely enough, so I'm really not going to say anything different about them. I just find them interesting reading.

As for us, unless we go back to playing Jones/Agee for a combined 20 min/g as our 7th and 8th man, we're still going to be a different team than we were the first 5 games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT