ADVERTISEMENT

BIG 2024 Closing Arguments: The Rutgers Scarlet Knights

Brought up something at the end I hadn't really thought about. How will the defense look against the passing attacks of the west Coast teams. Didnt realize Maryland was the only predominantly passing offense Rutgers played last year, not a good showing, were missing some guys though.. interesting year coming up with the new opponents

It's very disingenuous to say:

Among them is a stretch of six consecutive opponents that the Scarlet Knights have never beaten in their program’s history. How many can they win?

This refers to the following teams: Washington, Nebraska, Wisconsin, UCLA, USC & Minnesota. We have NOT played Washington, UCLA or USC as Big 10 opponents. We're 0-2 against Washington; both games came during the Ash Error in 2016 & 2017. More importantly, we've never played USC & UCLA! You can reverse that and say that USC & UCLA have never beaten Rutgers in their respective program's histories.

Brought up something at the end I hadn't really thought about. How will the defense look against the passing attacks of the west Coast teams. Didnt realize Maryland was the only predominantly passing offense Rutgers played last year, not a good showing, were missing some guys though.. interesting year coming up with the new opponents
Schiano, has always had trouble with west coast type passing teams. It goes as far back as Chip Kelly at UNH who ate up Schiano's defense.

I've never mentioned specifically about passing attack but more about productive offenses but it kind of meshes. I've always thought we had a better chance at Michigan and teams like that because of the way they play. I never thought we had a good chance against OSU until last year because they switched their style of play to try to be more physical and run more and sure enough we fared well.

Outside of OSU (until last year), B10 offenses haven't been the most productive in the country. Usually 30-50s area for the top ones but not often in the top 10-15 except OSU before last year.

USC and Oregon are the only ones that are most likely proven on that level going into this year. Maybe OSU too depending on how Chip Kelly does there as OC. I'm kind of curious to see how Kansas' OC Kotelnicki does as PSU OC now. I've always like their use of misdirection and schemes in disguising things so with better athletes can it be more explosive.

Wisconsin in year 2 of Longo as OC is unknown. Washington is unknown with tons of roster changes and new coaching staff. UCLA as well who flipped last year to a very good defense and to an okay or not so hot offense.

So really on this year's schedule USC is the only one going in you think should have a dangerous offense. I can't say that for sure about anyone else. USC also took UCLA's DC after just one year at UCLA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT