ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Tournament can literally be won by anyone

knight82

All American
Gold Member
Nov 4, 2002
There is no dominant team in the league this year. Hopkins will have the advantage of it being on their field. But in my opinion any one of the six can win it. That's what RU has to hope for. Get your act together and be playing your best lacrosse in May. The automatic bid is our best shot.

Last edited:
IMHO RU doesn’t have the chops to win it this year. They will need to get everyone healthy and find an extra gear to have any kind of chance. Ohio State and Hopkins made them look very ordinary. But the title is won on the field not in a chat room ,so, yes there is a chance.

Every B1G team is ranked this week, 5 through 17 (Rutgers at 12), and there doesn’t seem to be a dominant team. If there was a year for us to win the tournament, this would be it.

But ONLY if we get Cameron back and our offense can return to form.

Reactions: Wagram97
Take it the Michigan vs Rutgers game this Friday is must win for any chance at the at large.

Cameron back is key but defense needs to be as active in the 1st half as they usually are in the 2nd half.

Hopefully we get Cameron back next week. If not, I’d like to see one of the young pups get a shot at extended time. I think Logan Peters is the most obvious choice as he is a big lefty and his game is most similar to Cameron’s. And he has a year of experience over Kurdyla and Murphy.

Making the tournament will be an uphill climb and hopefully we do but based on the current situation I am all for building for the future.

Let's work in the people who have shown something in practice and see if they have another gear when the spotlight is on.

It's not easy to implement quickly but I would even tweak my offensive philosophy and try to bring more motion.

We don't want to short change upperclassmen who may be making their last run at it but they were at least able to experience Championship weekend already.

There is no dominant team in the league this year. Hopkins will have he advantage of it being on their field. But in my opinion any one of the six can win it. That's what RU has to hope for. Get your act together and be playing your best lacrosse in May. The automatic bid is our best shot.

Automatic bid is the best shot, but making the finals keeps them in the loop. And how the other conferences break will be important. Need Army to win the Patriot and UNC to get beat up over the next few weeks.

We just need to take care of ourselves. Our destiny is fully in our hands.

B1G is shaping up like the Ivy last year.

Like Cali said, one at a time and plenty of lacrosse left. Win the next game and hope the others beat each other up. Make a run in the tournament and RU will be fine. If the B1G continues to be ranked like they currently are and RU wins games, they’ll be fine.

I can't see any team in the league going through the schedule with less than 2 losses.

Soo much lacrosse left and I’m not speaking just of RU but all the other games both in league and almost as important - watching what is gonna happen in other leagues…

Let’s leave out the obvious path which is winning the BTT…that path is alive for all Big Ten teams and all teams that qualify for their respective conference tourneys…so that’s sitting there for everyone and is the one certain path…win the AQ

So leaving that out, now you look at the AL situation…when looking at that view, Friday night is essentially a must win…or very close. RU “must” win at least 2 regular season games IMO to have any AL chance…1-4 in conference won’t cut it (unless you win the AQ)…

Beat Michigan. That’s where it starts.

As far as big picture and other conferences…

The teams at this point to keep a very close eye on…

Army
Loyola
Georgetown
Nova
UNC

Those 5 teams are alive and in the mix not only for AQ’s but possible for AL’s

Yeah, I would not even try to guess who will win either regular season or tournament in the B1G. I suspect that Michigan has exposed something about Maryland (hinted at in this article by the great WheelsRI of InsideMarylandSports). Every other team seems to have weaknesses as well...

https://247sports.com/college/maryl...ing-20-game-Big-Ten-winning-streak-207698687/

I'd have to review a game tape (which I don't have) to be sure, but I think Hopkins exploited the same thing against Rutgers that UMich did in the 1st quarter against the Terps.

I am not sure they exposed something as much as:

1) They made some really great plays on offense

2) Maryland uncharacteristically missed some really good looks

I will say that Maryland made some really poor switches behind the cage in the two man game. That led to some easy ones. That is very unusual for Maryland. Their D is usually very buttoned up.

Reactions: dconifer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT