ADVERTISEMENT

Bo Basset will Biggest HS Recruit of All Time

Aug 19, 2007
Flo Wrestling is already doing a Series following. Bos every Recruiting move. His Social Media status as a HS Wrestler has never been seen before ..He is also The #1 Recruit in the USA, the U17 World Champ and a current member of the USA u20 Team. We signed his teammate Mason Gibson....Stay Tuned!

You have to Love that somehow

Last edited:
Reactions: runrutgersrun
Flo Wrestling is already doing a Series following. Bos every Recruiting move. His Social Media status as a HS Wrestler has never been seen before ..He is also The #1 Recruit in the USA, the U17 World Champ and a current member of the USA u20 Team. We signed his teammate Mason Gibson....Stay Tuned!

You have to Love that somehow

Not just teammate, they're cousins. And if I'm not mistaken, Melvin (in the video) is Masons younger brother.

That would be the most amazing thing if he came to Rutgers. Incomprehensible. And while knowing Donny is leaving? Then Gibson is the guy we've needed all along to draw talent. 🙄
I've posted about it in another thread but Mytych has a connection to that family.

Steve has been a force for us in recruiting pa. Bassett is a top tier guy, I'm obviously not saying he's def coming here or anything but we've def stepped up our level of recruits w Mytych at the helm of his home state.

The coaches work in unison but from one of the recent podcasts, goodie mentioned that each coach handles their own recruiting to a degree as well. Just an FYI.

I've posted about it in another thread but Mytych has a connection to that family.

Steve has been a force for us in recruiting pa. Bassett is a top tier guy, I'm obviously not saying he's def coming here or anything but we've def stepped up our level of recruits w Mytych at the helm of his home state.

The coaches work in unison but from one of the recent podcasts, goodie mentioned that each coach handles their own recruiting to a degree as well. Just an FYI.
Recently watched an interview with Mytych and came away very impressed, seems like a fantastic recruiter ..that being said Bassett isnt going anywhere he doesn’t have ncaa/ world champs to train with. They created an all star team in high school and sacrificed 2 years of competing in the piaaa just so he could have the best practice partners so I would imagine that’s going to be a huge priority moving forward and while I would love for him to come to NJ and take Rutgers to the next level it isn’t likely , at this current time I’d say Princeton has a better shot at landing him ( 3 ncaa champs/ 2 other AAs on staff) and I’d only give them maybe a 5 percent chance. Going to take a bit of a shake up or Rutgers bringing in an assistant coach that’s a bigger name then Donnie and atleast 1 or 2 world medalist level RTC athletes and then maybe they make his final 5

Recently watched an interview with Mytych and came away very impressed, seems like a fantastic recruiter ..that being said Bassett isnt going anywhere he doesn’t have ncaa/ world champs to train with. They created an all star team in high school and sacrificed 2 years of competing in the piaaa just so he could have the best practice partners so I would imagine that’s going to be a huge priority moving forward and while I would love for him to come to NJ and take Rutgers to the next level it isn’t likely , at this current time I’d say Princeton has a better shot at landing him ( 3 ncaa champs/ 2 other AAs on staff) and I’d only give them maybe a 5 percent chance. Going to take a bit of a shake up or Rutgers bringing in an assistant coach that’s a bigger name then Donnie and atleast 1 or 2 world medalist level RTC athletes and then maybe they make his final 5
Chicken or the egg... Does he need the vets partners or will they come to wherever he goes?
Will he still be invited to workout wherever he wants ?
I m not delusional, I don't think we are a front runner but I do think all the things you mention are very answerable objections.

Chicken or the egg... Does he need the vets partners or will they come to wherever he goes?
Will he still be invited to workout wherever he wants ?
I m not delusional, I don't think we are a front runner but I do think all the things you mention are very answerable objections.
I think you need to have an assistant coach that’s going to be on the mat with him everyday for 4 years pushing him and that guy needs to be an ncaa champ /world medalist type guy , then you need atleast 2 veteran guys around his weight RTC wise, that needs to be in place to get him to Rutgers , then once you have him recruiting will take care of itself bc a lot of people are going to want to team up with him but I don’t see him coming to Rutgers with no AAs even on staff , no RTC guys, honestly as a high school jr he probably beats everyone on the team around his weight Shawver included and probably bonuses most of them , you need guys that will be push him from day 1

Zain Retherford is moving to the Rumson/ Fair Haven area after the Olympics for a Wall Street type job/ maybe he could be drawn back into wrestling bc he doesn’t seem like the Wall Street type , that’s the exact type guy you need for Bassett

Zain Retherford is moving to the Rumson/ Fair Haven area after the Olympics for a Wall Street type job/ maybe he could be drawn back into wrestling bc he doesn’t seem like the Wall Street type , that’s the exact type guy you need for Bassett
ATTN: GOODIE
Make that call! 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Leonard23
I think you need to have an assistant coach that’s going to be on the mat with him everyday for 4 years pushing him and that guy needs to be an ncaa champ /world medalist type guy , then you need atleast 2 veteran guys around his weight RTC wise, that needs to be in place to get him to Rutgers , then once you have him recruiting will take care of itself bc a lot of people are going to want to team up with him but I don’t see him coming to Rutgers with no AAs even on staff , no RTC guys, honestly as a high school jr he probably beats everyone on the team around his weight Shawver included and probably bonuses most of them , you need guys that will be push him from day 1

Love that Zain idea and if he’s in the Rumson area I’d wager he’d make some kind of relationship with Sonny Amato

Reactions: njsportsphan
That makes much more sense. I thought PSU would be a lock for a guy like Bassett. Iowa could make sense with Spencer Lee there. Princeton, I don't think; surely you saw what he did to Ashnault at the Olympic Trials. Okie State staff is looking really good. I think he'll find the best balance between coaching, training, and money. Bassett would have to be very charitable to consider Rutgers. As I've said in earlier posts, Rutgers has to be very serious and make big moves just to retain who they already have.

I think you are wrong with your assessment of Basset needing ncaa/world champs to train with to go there.. sure it might help but it’s not the be all end all for him.. otherwise he wouldn’t have listed every school basically for a chance at him… he wants his best fit in everything… so I disagree that Princeton has a better shot then RU… there was a Twitter post with RU giving Basset the first call and we got a star by our name… I think that could go a long way as well with the Gibson connection…

Reactions: mikemessner
The Bassets seem to run that high school wrestling program so maybe they want a school that’s going to have an open line of communication similar to how Rutgers appealed to Suriano

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT