ADVERTISEMENT

Bold Move

Randal7

All American
Gold Member
Jul 23, 2009
*Disclaimer - purely hypothetical. Probably assinine. But interesting game-theory none-the-less.

Count me among the people who is pretty tired of the drama with our top QB target for 2016. I'm not a coach, and have never been at any level. Nor am I recruiter. However, I couldn't help but consider how a "grand sentiment" would be received by our other target 2016 QB target, DH. Who is better? I don't know, they are probably both really good. But in the interest of maximizing a favorable outcome (and getting at least one), isn't it best to make a committment to one of them? This is a bold move, and maybe even borderline reckless and stupid. But hear this pitch out:

"We want you here. We think you are the future of this team. And you know what? We are going to prove it to you. Whether you commit to our program or not, I make you a guarantee that, as of today, we stop recruiting the QB position for 2016 while you are deciding on the best place to spend your college career. We do that because it's become clear you possess not only the physical attributes but the intangibles that we know will lead to greatness here at Rutgers"

Upside
-Kid feels really special.
-We stop getting horsed around (we regain a position of authority/dominance in those whole dalliance)

Downside
-You upset a really talented QB who may well come here
-You upset QB's friends (who also may well come here)
-You upset QB's school

It's a bold move, and a tactical flip. Feels to me right now all of our eggs are in one basket, and if this doesn't work out I truly doubt we get the alternate, because nobody is keen to be "the alternate". You flip the script, and go all in with the other kid, that could be doubly impactful because the message is, "Son, we believe in you! So much so that we are willing to do this".

So the question is, do we maximize the probability of a good outcome by proceeding using the same tactics we've been using so far? Or are we in this no-mans-land with 2 guys whom we both would be thrilled to have, and in desperate need of a recalibration and a "BOLD MOVE"?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.