ADVERTISEMENT

Bruce Johnson on The Scarlet Spotlight podcast (direct link)

Enjoyed this podcast. As a young kid In the late 80s and early 90s I have fond memories of the unhappy recaps when our games were rarely televised.

Reactions: S.W.A.I.N and KevH
Enjoyed this podcast. As a young kid In the late 80s and early 90s I have fond memories of the unhappy recaps when our games were rarely televised.
That's why Bruce became such an institution- that's all we had for a broadcast growing up. Now everything is on TV.

I'll never forget listening to his broadcasts during that eight-game run in 88-89 that he referenced as well as the post-game interviews with Wenzel. I remember Wenzel saying during his interview after they beat URI on the road to go 15-12, "NCAA is not out of the question folks...NCAA is not out of the question."

That's why Bruce became such an institution- that's all we had for a broadcast growing up. Now everything is on TV.

I'll never forget listening to his broadcasts during that eight-game run in 88-89 that he referenced as well as the post-game interviews with Wenzel. I remember Wenzel saying during his interview after they beat URI on the road to go 15-12, "NCAA is not out of the question folks...NCAA is not out of the question."

I'd still be listening to this day if the old radio team was behind the mic. I wanted so badly for them to enjoy broadcasting the successful teams under Schiano. Felt like they deserved that much. I don't hate what Carlin and Co. bring to the table. In fact, I hope Ray Lucas has a permanent gig... lol! But, I sure do miss Bruce J. and Dick Lloyd. Can't wait to listen to the podcast later.

This was wonderful. Bruce was great. I won his trivia question quite a few times. One time I didn't receive my prize and he came to our fall sport banquet at Edison High School and brought me a complete bag filled with WCTC goodies. He became a very good friend. It still bothers me that he is no longer calling our games. He just loved being the announcer for RU. I don't think he lives in NJ anymore but can anyone verify? I thought he might now be in Florida.

Thanks Art! Bruce is a great man. He & his wife have retired in NJ, and remain close to both of their sons in Middlesex County!

This was wonderful. Bruce was great. I won his trivia question quite a few times. One time I didn't receive my prize and he came to our fall sport banquet at Edison High School and brought me a complete bag filled with WCTC goodies. He became a very good friend. It still bothers me that he is no longer calling our games. He just loved being the announcer for RU. I don't think he lives in NJ anymore but can anyone verify? I thought he might now be in Florida.

Bruce still lives in East Brunswick,NJ.

Reactions: shields
I'd still be listening to this day if the old radio team was behind the mic. I wanted so badly for them to enjoy broadcasting the successful teams under Schiano. Felt like they deserved that much. I don't hate what Carlin and Co. bring to the table. In fact, I hope Ray Lucas has a permanent gig... lol! But, I sure do miss Bruce J. and Dick Lloyd. Can't wait to listen to the podcast later.
I hear ya. I wasn't crazy about Carlin doing the hoops games, but I do enjoy Jerry Recco's calls. I wish Bruce could have gone out on his own terms. All that said, if anyone asks you how to be a professional and a class act, tell them to follow Bruce's example.

Reactions: KevH
Honored to have been double name dropped by Danny and Bruce during the show!

Not having Bruce Johnson at a Court Club meeting will always feel like the one that got away. That said, I'm happy he's finally speaking about his RU experience again!

Excellent work Dan and Jon!

Honored to have been double name dropped by Danny and Bruce during the show!

Not having Bruce Johnson at a Court Club meeting will always feel like the one that got away. That said, I'm happy he's finally speaking about his RU experience again!

Excellent work Dan and Jon!
But you got Tim Higgins

Bruce was great and wish RU could have found a way for him and Chris Carlin to share sports. I think Bruce’s son was thinking of getting into sports media as well.

Bruce was great and wish RU could have found a way for him and Chris Carlin to share sports. I think Bruce’s son was thinking of getting into sports media as well.

Bruce's oldest son Brent is a statehouse reporter for the Star Ledger, and has frequent front page stories. His youngest (Brian) was a sportswriter for some time, and is now a successful high school teacher and volleyball coach in Newark.

Reactions: PiscatawayMike
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT