ADVERTISEMENT

Bus from Monmouth County to Newark Penn Station / World Trade Center

JayDogSmooth

All Conference
Aug 18, 2006
Does anyone know if there's a bus that runs from Monmouth County to Newark Penn Station or the WTC?

Academy Bus Co. runs buses from Exit 109 to Wall Street area (close to WTrade area). They also run express buses from PNC Arts Center to that area and you can park at PNC.

This post was edited on 3/2 11:30 AM by RAA-1

Link

there are buses that run from the arts center in holmdel and academy lot by exit 109 in Lincrofrtt/middletown.

would suggest the academy bus website

also - I believe there is some bus commutation in Holmdel on route 35

and - there are significant bus routes on rte 9 in western monmouth county

Monmouth County is a big place and OP failed to narrow it down.

If he's in Western Monmouth, pretty much none of these suggestions are good.

I live in Northern Howell w/a Freehold mailing address. 2 minutes from Rt. 9 and 10 minutes from Rt. 18. Thinking the Matawan train might be the best option if no bus. There's a bus stop in Howell that's 5 minutes from my house though so if that goes to Newark or WTC it would be ideal

Not a bus, but if you are close to the Highlands or Atlantic Highlands, the Ferries will take you to Wall Street. More expensive than the bus/train.

Originally posted by JayDogSmooth:

I live in Northern Howell w/a Freehold mailing address. 2 minutes from Rt. 9 and 10 minutes from Rt. 18. Thinking the Matawan train might be the best option if no bus. There's a bus stop in Howell that's 5 minutes from my house though so if that goes to Newark or WTC it would be ideal
The 67 runs along Route 9 to Newark and JC.

According to the schedule, it stops at Aldrich and Schank.

Based on your description, you probably live off 524 or Strickland. No guarantees but you maybe able to get the bus to stop at the park & ride over in that area. According to Google Maps, the bus will stop at Strickland but sometimes their info is not correct.

Bus 67

I take the 64 from Strickland to JC every day. The 67 also stops at Strickland and goes to Newark penn station. The schedules on line are up to date. The 64 and 67 board in the middle of the platform. The academy to Wall Street boards on the extreme left if you are looking at rt. 9 from the parking lot. The academy down town will get you close to the wtc in Manhattan.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

fyi - there is a 3-5 year waiting list for parking in the official lots. 3rd party lots are $50-75 a month in Aberdeen.

The train is about 55 mins to NYC. With your commute to the train station you may want to consider the rt 9 bus or ferry.

Academy Bus runs on rt 9 and goes down to the WTC. Most days its ok but when its bad its really bad. 4-5 snowstorm runs or traffic accidents make for a painful commute.

Originally posted by fg7321:
Academy Bus runs on rt 9 and goes down to the WTC. Most days its ok but when its bad its really bad. 4-5 snowstorm runs or traffic accidents make for a painful commute.
What he said. That bus runs about every 30-45 minutes during commute hours. Other options are take the 67 bus to JC and take the Path to WTC, or take the NJT # 139 to Port Authority and take the #1 train downtown to WTC. I've done all 3. Believe it or not the #139 has HOV lanes and can be faster than Academy on Rt.9 to WTC. BTW, Academy buses honor NJT tickets, so you can take other routes to NYC if you buy NJT pass/tickets. If you buy tickets and are over 55, just ask for senior rates and it's only $12.50 round trip. They don't usually check ID, so it's worth a try.

The 67 does NOT go to JC. The 64and 63X go to JC. When taking a 64 check the schedule and make sure you avoid the buses that stop in downtown Freehold.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by RUfinal4:

fyi - there is a 3-5 year waiting list for parking in the official lots. 3rd party lots are $50-75 a month in Aberdeen.

The train is about 55 mins to NYC. With your commute to the train station you may want to consider the rt 9 bus or ferry.
For NJ Transit lot? I don't think this is correct. My wife got a parking spot pretty much on demand when we moved here. Hard to believe they developed a 5 year waiting list in under 3 years.

The Aberdeen NJ Transit lot will run you about $650 bucks a year, with an option to pay quarterly (for the same price) if you want to try it out.

As indicated, there are several NJ Transit and Academy Bus options that run Rt. 9.

Growing up in that area the Aberdeen-Matawan lot is the story of great lore, either the wait list is 10 years or everyone knows someone that got in.

The bus is way faster from the western part of the county unless you're from the small part of Marlboro that borders Aberdeen, when you take into account the schlep over there all the lights and slow moving traffic.

Western Monmouth desperately needs a rail line or quicker freeway access. The commute in any direction from the freehold area is double what it should be no matter where you go.

Originally posted by NotInRHouse:
Growing up in that area the Aberdeen-Matawan lot is the story of great lore, either the wait list is 10 years or everyone knows someone that got in.

The bus is way faster from the western part of the county unless you're from the small part of Marlboro that borders Aberdeen, when you take into account the schlep over there all the lights and slow moving traffic.
No lore at all. We moved here in late August of 2012. My wife was parking in the lot before the first snow fell. Post Sandy she took the bus for about 6 months, which was an unmitigated shit show. She would never take the bus again under any circumstance. If she needs to get back earlier than the train allows, she drives in now. That is how bad 4+ months of the bus was in her mind.

Originally posted by NotInRHouse:

I remember parking about a block away in a private lot and it was almost as good.

if you drive up to the bus stop, the sign there should list what bus lines stop there. That can narrow your search to 1/ a couple to check online whether they go where you want.

This post was edited on 3/3 6:02 PM by fischy5000

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT