ADVERTISEMENT

Can't we have anything nice?

RobertG

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2001
What did we do to anger the sports gods so?

Was Babe Ruth's application turned down or something?

Can't we just win and go to the tournament? I'm not asking to win a championship just just get an invite.

Reactions: oncampus
It is one game and your team won. There is a long way to go.

Deep breaths, decaf, come back in off of the ledge.

I've been watching this school teeter on the ledge for 30 years, I've seen Shea talk about shocking power after he had he out recruited stony brook. I watched Rice hurl balls at players on national tv. I've seen Donavan McNab take a knee on the 10 yard line in a 70 point route, I've cringed every time Julie Herman approached a mic. I've watched 3 years of Ash slowly dismantling a team. I've watched us lose to Eastern Michigan, New Hampshire, Yale, Villanova (football and basketball), I've seen the big east refs ignore time on the clock and call the game before it was over, I've seen time stop when at Tenn. I watched multiple players transfer from RU and make the tournament while we sat home. The 150th anniversary of College Football past by and our AD couldn't even make a game with Princeton work, they couldn't even get that right. I could go on and on.

Now one of our supposedly best basketball team in years get's taken to the last shot against Bryant! A team that lost to Fairleigh Dickenson and Long Island University last year.

We need better. Pickell is getting paid a pretty penny, no more excuses just get it done.

Reactions: JoeRU0304 and LC-88

Can't we just win and go to the tournament? I'm not asking to win a championship just just get an invite.
You know we won. Sure we played like crap, but we still won. Take that as a good sign. Winners find ways to win.

I can appreciate the OP's sentiment. Folks were entertaining getting their dancing shoes out for the past X weeks/months - not feeling it.

You know we won. Sure we played like crap, but we still won. Take that as a good sign. Winners find ways to win.

It's not a good sign. Winning by 2 against Bryant is a bad warning sign. A big red light going off with sirens wailing in the back ground. A team which has no business thinking they accomplished anything and playing like they have that's a warning sign that reflects poorly on the coaches and team captains.

The NCAA Tournament is not a realistic expectation for this team and it wasn't before yesterday either. Let's focus on a winning record.

Reactions: Rhuarc and RUJMM78
It's not a good sign. Winning by 2 against Bryant is a bad warning sign. A big red light going off with sirens wailing in the back ground. A team which has no business thinking they accomplished anything and playing like they have that's a warning sign that reflects poorly on the coaches and team captains.

I sympathize, but again, it's just the opener. What bothered me the most is that we had a nine-point lead (maybe an 11-point lead) with 2:30-3 minutes left, and Bryant was still able to take the game to the final shot.

To borrow a line from a Tool song, "sound the dread alarm"

Sadly,long suffering fans have watched almost 30 years without one NCAA Tournament bid and we still show concern when Rutgers almost loses to Bryant,a 20 point underdog.

From what Pikiell said last night, it seems like he hasn't figured out this team. Practice is one thing; game conditions are another.

Not the sports gods... basketball and football gods have not been the nicest to us.

good sign against a 10-20 NEC team ?
Tomorrow’s game should tell us a lot about this program.

Please, just stop. It's one freakin' game. We had a 16 point lead with some of the worst shooting I've seen by this group. And yet, we still won. It's the first game of the season. Let Pikiell figure out the group that best gels. It's better to get this kind of bad game out of the way and see how we are going forward. If we play like this 10 games into the season, THEN you can worry. Now? Not so much.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT