ADVERTISEMENT

Cassius Winston Returning for Sr Year

Question for people who have seen Jacob Young play:

If he were on the court @ MSU this year would he have been able to slow down Winston enough to keep RU in the game late?

Bizarre tweet coming from an NCAA account. Obviously intended to celebrate a kid’s decision not to turn pro.
Good point SJ. But the fact that everybody and their cousin wants to turn pro, I think it's refreshing that a talent like Winston wants to play his last year, because MSU will be loaded and is projected to be the number one team in the nation. He probably wants to win a national championship, and I'm sure his family took out an insurance policy so that god forbid he gets hurt, the reason for staying won't be a mistake.

Reactions: gringo
Good point SJ. But the fact that everybody and their cousin wants to turn pro, I think it's refreshing that a talent like Winston wants to play his last year, because MSU will be loaded and is projected to be the number one team in the nation. He probably wants to win a national championship, and I'm sure his family took out an insurance policy so that god forbid he gets hurt, the reason for staying won't be a mistake.

Why are they loaded?
Post Ward and mcWaid

Agree he probably wants to finish out his career. But he’s fringe NBA at best though and you don’t see many guys (not named Corey Sanders) leave early for a likely overseas career, so his return is expected. I’m not in favor of paying players or anything and I understand the strategy by the NCAA, but it’s still awkward for them to have this marketing strategy of “Yay, amateurism!” There was no tweet congratulating Nick Ward on going pro.

Agree he probably wants to finish out his career. But he’s fringe NBA at best though and you don’t see many guys (not named Corey Sanders) leave early for a likely overseas career, so his return is expected. I’m not in favor of paying players or anything and I understand the strategy by the NCAA, but it’s still awkward for them to have this marketing strategy of “Yay, amateurism!” There was no tweet congratulating Nick Ward on going pro.
SJ all good points. I agree with everything except "But he’s fringe NBA at best." That I disagree with wholeheartedly. I believe Winston will make an excellent pg in the NBA and possibly a first rounder next year.

Why are they loaded?
Post Ward and mcWaid
Even with the loss of those two players, Izzo just brought in a couple of 5 stars, and have redshirt players that will fill in, and if you read some of the experts writers for college basketball, they're predicting that MSU will be the number one team to start next season.

SJ all good points. I agree with everything except "But he’s fringe NBA at best." That I disagree with wholeheartedly. I believe Winston will make an excellent pg in the NBA and possibly a first rounder next year.
He’s great. I could see him playing in the NBA, I just think his limited height and speed caps his potential a bit and I think GMs want to draft high upside guys.

Reactions: Scangg
He’s great. I could see him playing in the NBA, I just think his limited height and speed caps his potential a bit and I think GMs want to draft high upside guys.
I understand what you're saying, but I think Winston is the kind of player that makes the other players around him better. He has excellent BB IQ and for that, there is something to be said at the next level. He's a winner and that will translate to playing smart as he distributes the ball and gets his shot.

I understand what you're saying, but I think Winston is the kind of player that makes the other players around him better. He has excellent BB IQ and for that, there is something to be said at the next level. He's a winner and that will translate to playing smart as he distributes the ball and gets his shot.
Yep I could see it. His 3pt% helps his case.

Reactions: RU MAN
I’m of the opinion players should be paid something, somehow to encourage them to get there degrees. I don’t have the plan but I think it’s better than them going overseas and G-League stuff. I understand leaving for a first round NBA contract however but there are not very many Juniors that can do that.

Question for people who have seen Jacob Young play:

If he were on the court @ MSU this year would he have been able to slow down Winston enough to keep RU in the game late?
He would have been our best defender matchup for him but Winston is one of those guys that when he gets hot is tough to stop regardless bc he can score so many ways

Winston is my favorite non-RU player in the conference. He was also IMHO, the best PG in the conference last year. He's a total clutch player whose excellent play exceeds his athletic ability. His return is a huge boost to MSU next year and solidifies them as the pre-season No. 1 seed in the Big10. .

I’m of the opinion players should be paid something, somehow to encourage them to get there degrees. I don’t have the plan but I think it’s better than them going overseas and G-League stuff. I understand leaving for a first round NBA contract however but there are not very many Juniors that can do that.

Who pays them?
Think about how that would impact most schools?

Who pays them?
Think about how that would impact most schools?

I would take it from the coaching salaries. Obviously this isn't realistic but that's where the money is going. What sense does it make that John Calipari is making double what Steve Kerr makes?

I would take it from the coaching salaries. Obviously this isn't realistic but that's where the money is going. What sense does it make that John Calipari is making double what Steve Kerr makes?

It pains me to say this.....John Calipari Is worth, to UK, every penny he will make........until proven otherwise.

There is no doubt coaching salaries for amateur athletics is the black hole for D1 schools.

The top 20 or so schools (ranked financially) have no problem paying. Unfortunately the other 320 schools are left in a bad place. Rutgers can’t have 15+ non revenue sports to fund and pay 3 program coaches a ton of money. Adding paying athletes means shutting down every sport but 2

Only solution I can think of.....impose a salary cap for coaching salaries and impose a luxury tax for those that go over.

If UK wants to pay 10,000,000 to Calapari then have 2,000,000 less revenue from NCAA.

Personally don’t think that should go back to athletes. I think there needs to be 2 defined paths to play professionally. 1 where pay is an option and let the athlete decide.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT