ADVERTISEMENT

Chinyelu to Washington State

Last recruit we lost to WSU has turned into a player. Mo Gueye is a potential first rounder this upcoming draft

It’s like he just blindfolded himself and threw a dart at the map of the US…

This one hurts 😢
I'm not a Pike can't recruit guy but missing out on Fall, Kante, and now Chinyelu is worrying. It sounds like Dembele is headed elsewhere though it's pretty easy to read the tea leaves and see that Rutgers began pushing harder for him once they got wind Chinyelu wasn't coming. Nothing wrong with losing out on a 5 star (Fall)... losing Kante is rough given the Gavin connection but still understandable since it's Michigan. There's still the guy from California but since Rutgers wasn't able to close the deal with him by now I really doubt we'll get him in the spring.

I'm not a Pike can't recruit guy but missing out on Fall, Kante, and now Chinyelu is worrying. It sounds like Dembele is headed elsewhere though it's pretty easy to read the tea leaves and see that Rutgers began pushing harder for him once they got wind Chinyelu wasn't coming. Nothing wrong with losing out on a 5 star (Fall)... losing Kante is rough given the Gavin connection but still understandable since it's Michigan. There's still the guy from California but since Rutgers wasn't able to close the deal with him by now I really doubt we'll get him in the spring.

Concerning

He doesn't even appear on the offer list for Rutgers at the top of this page.

I still really like Bodo. Pike also seems to always find the next guy up and has an eye for talent so we'll see how it shakes out. There are just always less talented big men out there and Chinyelu has a chance to be really special

Reactions: Rokodesh
When does Dembele announce? Soon, right?

Why do you think he didn’t pick RU?
It's really hard to tell what's behind the college choice of an international player, since many people and factors are usually involved... He's stated before that he likes the international flavor of the WSU team, and likes the success they've had with international players... Not sure if that was a significant reason for his choice, but WSU currently has 6 international players on their roster, and another from NY who spent several years studying at an Islamic school in Senegal... Chinyelu, although Nigerian, currently lives and plays for the NBA Academy in Senegal, and WSU currently has 2 bigs from Senegal, including Mouhamed Gueye who's become a very good player as was mentioned in an earlier post.

And after choosing WSU, Chinyelu stated: "Washington State stood out with their style of play and the experience the coaching staff has with African and international players...."

Last edited:
Considering Pike was even in on him given that Washington State pipeline. I guess when Cliff goes to the NBA., then Pike will have another feather in his cap when people talk about developing for NBA. I really never thought we had a chance for him and Pike got us that chance.
Papa Kante to Michigan is a close call. Papa should have considered us even arguably more than Michigan , as likely Dylan will come here with Griffiths already here and a chance to go for the title. No one Michigan is bringing in is higher rated than Dylan and no sure if they have anyone higher rated than Griffiths . They definitely do not have anyone that will shoot better than Gavin , which would have helped him more in my opinion at Rutgers instead of Michigan. I don’t consider it a failure or a concern like Kgg expressed of Pike’s recruiting. His eye for talent and multi dimensional basketball players is pretty damn good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT