ADVERTISEMENT

College football’s biggest rule changes for 2023, explained

BROTHERSKINNY

Heisman Winner
Oct 21, 2010
The 2023 college football season is just weeks away.

The year ahead could be transformative for the sport, with conference movement, the transfer portal, and NIL deals changing the nature of college football. But those are not the only changes coming to the game. When “Week 0” kicks off at the end of August, some new rules will be in effect for the college game.

So before things get going, we thought it made sense to run through the major new rules, to get ready for the season.

New timing rules​

Three of the six rule changes involve timing, the stoppage of play, and the flow of the game. The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel is looking to moderately reduce the number of plays over the course of a given game, and improve the flow and pace of play.

Here are the three rules under this category of changes.

Stopping and starting the clock​

Previously in college football, the game clock was stopped when the offense gained a first down. This rule has been changed for the 2023 season, and the clock will stop on an offensive first down only in the final two minutes of each half.

With two minutes remaining in the second quarter, the clock will stop when the offense gains a first down. That will also apply in the final two minutes of the game.

This rule goes into immediate effect for Division 1 and Division 2 college football, and will be implemented at the Division 3 level for 2024.

Consecutive timeouts​

Consecutive timeouts by a single team are no longer allowed during a dead-ball period.

Each team has three charged team timeouts during each half. However, no more than one charged team timeout is available per team, during each dead-ball period.

Extension of quarters​

Previously, any quarter would be extended an additional, untimed down if a penalty occurred on the final play of the quarter.

Starting in 2023, only the second or fourth quarters will be extended an additional, untimed down in the case of a penalty, an inadvertent whistle, or offsetting penalties. Should such a situation occur in the first or third quarter, the penalty will carry over to the next quarter, and the quarter will not be extended an additional down.

Drone usage​

Many college football programs started using drones to create incredible content on social media:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ot...p&cvid=80b225f2d04e49efbdf64d6a2ac7477b&ei=12

Reactions: SouthJerseyRU
Faster games, although stopping the clock after getting a first down never mattered until the end of a half anyway.

Faster games, although stopping the clock after getting a first down never mattered until the end of a half anyway.
I didn’t see how many fewer plays per game are being predicted by allowing the clock to roll on first downs, but it will certainly matter.

Problem: Games are 3.5 hours and longer in big games where we play even more commercials.
Brainstorming Question: How do we shorten the time it takes to complete a game but still play the same number of commercials?

Problem: Games are 3.5 hours and longer in big games where we play even more commercials.
Brainstorming Question: How do we shorten the time it takes to complete a game but still play the same number of commercials?
Do more in game stuff .
Split screen between plays. You can do this in football since there is so much dead time between plays anyway
The commercial breaks are brutal. Especially when you’re at game

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Do more in game stuff .
Split screen between plays. You can do this in football since there is so much dead time between plays anyway
The commercial breaks are brutal. Especially when you’re at game
I guess you and me weren’t on the committee or we were overruled!
Commercial breaks are indeed brutal. At home I always watch games on a slight delay for this reason. At the stadium I constantly have newbies ask why there’s such a long delay, what’s going on?

Split screen

I didn’t see how many fewer plays per game are being predicted by allowing the clock to roll on first downs, but it will certainly matter.
You have to figure so much passing and offense have, ironically, lengthened games because teams probably get more first downs now. And there are fewer 2nd and 3rd downs where the clock is running and so many plays are over so fast.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT