ADVERTISEMENT

Devin McCourty turns his head

Yet he used to get screamed at, by our fans, for NOT doing as such while at RU. Same with his brother. Same with Logan Ryan. Same with most collegiate DB's who are in the NFL now. Duh.

When he was at RU he was often criticized for not turning - Jason too (especially after 2007 USF game as I recall)

Last edited:
I DISTINCTLY remember Logan Ryan turning his head and making a one handed interception in the Russel Athletics Bowl against VTech. ANd thinking wow... in his final game as a Knight he finally starts turning his head and look what happens.

I did however manage to successfully forget everything else that happened in said game *shudders*.

Fantasy rules are so dumb. The Patriots D had an INT, a Blocked Kick, AND a SAFETY, but since they gave up 23 points, I only got 8 pts from them. How much better can they get?

Fantasy rules are so dumb. The Patriots D had an INT, a Blocked Kick, AND a SAFETY, but since they gave up 23 points, I only got 8 pts from them. How much better can they get?
Sounds like your commish is stupid.

My league you don't get penalized for giving up points, only for positive plays. Your defense starts at 0 and you go up from there.

Now you guys did it. NJ.com's next Rutgers article after reading this will now be how Jabrill Peppers has a special spinal column which allows his head to spin 360 degrees while covering.

Let's see if college coaches now change what they teach their DB's because I am sure they all saw that a 6 year NFL player with mult pro bowl appearances turns his head.
DM now has almost 10 years experience playing at the highest levels...

I DISTINCTLY remember Logan Ryan turning his head and making a one handed interception in the Russel Athletics Bowl against VTech. ANd thinking wow... in his final game as a Knight he finally starts turning his head and look what happens.

I did however manage to successfully forget everything else that happened in said game *shudders*.
If that is the only time you saw it you are as savvy as the OP and other posters who keep taking about this. By his 3rd year Ryan was one of the best I have seen at this at RU.

Dumbasses.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
1.) Hard to know if this is an apples to apples comparison without knowing the defensive playcall.
2.) Even if it was bump & run, man-coverage, it looks like a.) the ball was underthrown and b.) he had help from Patrick Chung over the top.

You can gamble on an underthrown ball if you have help up top because you don't fear the double-move.

Further, because the ball is underthrown, by the time the ball arrives, McCourty is in-phase with the receiver (ie: neck & neck, stride for stride). In most of the DB literature I've come across, you're instructed to turn for the ball in that situation, even in man coverage.

IIRC, most of the consternation on this board comes when the CB is in a trail position (ie: at least 1 step behind) and the ball is underthrown. What usually happens in that situation is the ball hits the defender in their back, shoulder, or arms and fans will say he had an INT if he had just turned around. But in most of the DB literature I've come across, you never want to turn your back to your man if you are already a step behind them because if he's running a fly or fade route, you're not only toast but it's 6 points because by now that guy is several steps ahead of you and you're in no position to face guard or even make a tackle.

Reactions: TRU2RU
3785422.jpg

Reactions: yesrutgers01
1.) Hard to know if this is an apples to apples comparison without knowing the defensive playcall.
2.) Even if it was bump & run, man-coverage, it looks like a.) the ball was underthrown and b.) he had help from Patrick Chung over the top.

You can gamble on an underthrown ball if you have help up top because you don't fear the double-move.

Further, because the ball is underthrown, by the time the ball arrives, McCourty is in-phase with the receiver (ie: neck & neck, stride for stride). In most of the DB literature I've come across, you're instructed to turn for the ball in that situation, even in man coverage.

IIRC, most of the consternation on this board comes when the CB is in a trail position (ie: at least 1 step behind) and the ball is underthrown. What usually happens in that situation is the ball hits the defender in their back, shoulder, or arms and fans will say he had an INT if he had just turned around. But in most of the DB literature I've come across, you never want to turn your back to your man if you are already a step behind them because if he's running a fly or fade route, you're not only toast but it's 6 points because by now that guy is several steps ahead of you and you're in no position to face guard or even make a tackle.
You are correct. My issue with the RU DBs is that they are usually in trail position. I would like to see them in-phase so they can make a play on the ball. If a ball is thrown short and the WR slows down the DB runs into the WR and get a PI called.

If that is the only time you saw it you are as savvy as the OP and other posters who keep taking about this. By his 3rd year Ryan was one of the best I have seen at this at RU.

Dumbasses.

Ah what irony. The moron who can't even spell or read properly has the nerve to call me dumbass.

Hey loser, i wasnt knocking Ryan, i was praising him for having showed mastery of the technique and how effective it is despite the people that say you should never ever turn your head around. It was just one example.

And don't quote me again.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT