ADVERTISEMENT

DUCKSWIRE: Diving into the Rutgers Scarlet Knights

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
"I could absolutely see a world where Rutgers gets to 7 wins this season and goes to a second straight bowl game, but it’s not going to be easy. It’s hard to project how they’re going to fare under new quarterback Athan Kaliakmanis, but if they continue to improve and build off of last seasons success, then I think the over is the play here."

"I could absolutely see a world where Rutgers gets to 7 wins this season and goes to a second straight bowl game, but it’s not going to be easy. It’s hard to project how they’re going to fare under new quarterback Athan Kaliakmanis, but if they continue to improve and build off of last seasons success, then I think the over is the play here."

I guess he didn't watch our quarterback play last year!

The reality is the team ( staff and players) will determine how Rutgers performs this season. How many wins ? Nobody actually knows and that’s what drives a fan base. Looking forward to seeing these guys reach their maximum potential. All the predictions are just nonsense. The fact is the team is focused .

We know we have a top 30-25 defense at the least. We know we have at the least an average to slightly above average big ten oline. The WR group on paper SEEMS way better than last year. We know Monangai is a stud and we know a healthy Sam Brown can also be very good. From all we've heard Kaliakmanis was clearly better than Gavin in the Spring. We have a much easier schedule than last year.

With all of these things I can't see how 6 wins is not the floor for this team. I honestly think it should be more like 8.5.

A lot of "experts" seem to be under the impression Schiano brought in Kaliakmanis in reaction to the loss of Wimsatt. As if Wimsatt decided to "transfer up" to a better program or something and left Rutgers scrambling for a QB.

This guy lists Wimsatt as one of the "biggest" departures. Which puts Wimsatt in the same category as losing a CB good enough to be a 2nd round pick. Not sure how losing a backup is considered a "big" departure. Especially given he'd probably be 3rd string behind Sheppard. Just shows how little most sports writers really know about this team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kbee3
A lot of "experts" seem to be under the impression Schiano brought in Kaliakmanis in reaction to the loss of Wimsatt. As if Wimsatt decided to "transfer up" to a better program or something and left Rutgers scrambling for a QB.

This guy lists Wimsatt as one of the "biggest" departures. Which puts Wimsatt in the same category as losing a CB good enough to be a 2nd round pick. Not sure how losing a backup is a considered "big" departure. Especially given he'd probably be 3rd string behind Sheppard. Just shows how little most sports writers really know about this team.
Wimsatt was a true dual threat who could generate a TD with his feet at any moment (see Indiana game long run). Receiving corp and new QB’s passing skills seem at worst to be middle of the pack in the BIG so the play calling will change I’m sure. Blow the top off the D with Miller’s speed and surgically dissect the underneath with Dremel, Fletcher and the RB’s…not to mention forcing DB’s to try to come up and tackle Mr. Downhill Bowling Ball.

Wimsatt was a true dual threat who could generate a TD with his feet at any moment (see Indiana game long run). Receiving corp and new QB’s passing skills seem at worst to be middle of the pack in the BIG so the play calling will change I’m sure. Blow the top off the D with Miller’s speed and surgically dissect the underneath with Dremel, Fletcher and the RB’s…not to mention forcing DB’s to try to come up and tackle Mr. Downhill Bowling Ball.
Wimsatt a dual threat? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Do you mean he could run to his right AND up the middle?? Because he sucked as a passer.

Whole article seems to be going with the 6.5 win theory. I don' take it as an insult. If RU overperforms, all the better for future recruiting and progress.
I look at what Ducky said more in the Rutgers has to prove itself before anyone will feel its a real good program.
Right now it has improved from being a loser, but not enough to be considered a good team.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I think it is all about past performance perception. Most outsiders look at Rutgers as a bottom dweller in the conference and getting lucky here and there. Case in point, the three guys predicting Washington's season record, even the guy predicting that Washington would only win 5 games, said that Washington would beat Rutgers.
But it is fun to be underestimated and then read the pro predictors eating crow later.

This is opening a can of worms, but if AK is so much better than GW, wouldn't you think that his squad would have won the Spring game? And won by a lot?

This is opening a can of worms, but if AK is so much better than GW, wouldn't you think that his squad would have won the Spring game? And won by a lot?
AK was very obviously the better passer in the spring game. He had double the yardage and a higher completion percentage.

The Spring game is a glorified practice for fans to watch, the scrimmages are much more important when the starters participate, many players who will never see the field got significant playing time in the Spring game

The reality is the team ( staff and players) will determine how Rutgers performs this season. How many wins ? Nobody actually knows and that’s what drives a fan base. Looking forward to seeing these guys reach their maximum potential. All the predictions are just nonsense. The fact is the team is focused .
Yes. I am not sure any team of coaches and players ever had it totally come down to how hard they work... how they CHOP every minute.

Unless, of course, it almost ALWAYS comes down to that in life... which may very well be true.

But for the outcome of this season vs expectations? Yeah.. luck won't be the difference. Team spirit and effort will be the difference. They won't have much more talent than anyone (save the cupcakes) .. but we know they don't have far less talent than most.. so it will be guts and grit and determination coupled with preparation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT