ADVERTISEMENT

Fall Ball has Officially Started

Caliknight

Legend
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2001
Lots of optimism around the program. The transfers have added a lot of pop to every spot. We are going to see a much deeper and faster playing team. Back to our brand after last season.

It's early but the team is getting after it. Some of the returners look like different guys after the summer program and the transfers have come in ready to play. Practices are going to be very competitive. Again, it's early but the left attack spot seems to be leaning in a certain direction with the right attack spot competition fierce.

Rope unit is going to be very deep and a couple of the freshmen have come in turning heads. Again, it's early, but wouldn't be surprised if a couple of them start getting minutes immediately if this keep this up.

Lots of optimism around the program. The transfers have added a lot of pop to every spot. We are going to see a much deeper and faster playing team. Back to our brand after last season.

It's early but the team is getting after it. Some of the returners look like different guys after the summer program and the transfers have come in ready to play. Practices are going to be very competitive. Again, it's early but the left attack spot seems to be leaning in a certain direction with the right attack spot competition fierce.

Rope unit is going to be very deep and a couple of the freshmen have come in turning heads. Again, it's early, but wouldn't be surprised if a couple of them start getting minutes immediately if this keep this up.
Hey Cali, have seen written that Peter Rizzotti (Dartmouth) could be a real steal/find as a transfer. Listing him as a very underrated player that could have a big impact. Think that is correct?

I do. The staff is very high on him. He’s versatile and can play close or long pole but we are good at pole so I’d expect to see him at close. I’ve Hubbard the W and L transfer has been turning heads. It’s early so want to pump the brakes a little bit but I’ve been hearing a lot of guys have been turning heads.

We will look very different this year than last.

Hoping to not only see more odd man rushes again courtesy of a return to form by the rope unit but also really hoping to see more off ball movement and passing in our settled offense. Season can't start soon enough. I know we say every year that the conference is a bear but damn it seems on paper that every team could have an up arrow this season.

Reactions: Wagram97
I do. The staff is very high on him. He’s versatile and can play close or long pole but we are good at pole so I’d expect to see him at close. I’ve Hubbard the W and L transfer has been turning heads. It’s early so want to pump the brakes a little bit but I’ve been hearing a lot of guys have been turning heads.

We will look very different this year than last.
I tried to tell people that Hubbard was good, I think the the pole from Union could be interesting but I am not sure he is athletic enough to be a difference maker.

Our settled offense was very effective last year when our guys were healthy. Cameron going down really impacted that. We had next to no NASCAR last year. Our rope guys were good but they were primarily D guys. This year we will be back to our running ways. All of the rope guys we brought in have offensive capabilities. And we are deep. We legitimately could play 5 Shorties and 3 poles if we need.

Our settled offense was very effective last year when our guys were healthy. Cameron going down really impacted that. We had next to no NASCAR last year. Our rope guys were good but they were primarily D guys. This year we will be back to our running ways. All of the rope guys we brought in have offensive capabilities. And we are deep. We legitimately could play 5 Shorties and 3 poles if we need.
People do not really understand how important depth a ssdm is, you need them to practice and if you don’t have enough good ones it makes it tough. Most good teams have 5 and 3 but have closer to 8 ssdm and 4-5 poles with one a floater who can bump down when needed. I am interested to see how they use the new offensive pieces

On the last point, me too. We have a lot more options than we had last year. Again, it's early but I think the lefty spot is working itself out which will allow Sidorski to play midfield.

All of a sudden we have some good depth there too. Knobloch, Aimone, Sidorski, Colin Kurdyla, a healthy Ryan Palmer, potentially Brady Kurdyla depending on how the righty attack spot works, out, Teresky, Peters, and one or two new guys who will likely get some run. Combine that with the depth of the rope unit, which the way we play is essentially another offensive midfield, and we are going to play some dudes.

one a floater who can bump down when needed.

Allow me to introduce you to Peter Rizzotti. HM All-Ivy LSM his freshman year at Dartmouth and then a 3 year close starter when there was depth at LSM (possibly the only position at Dartmouth that had depth) and a weakness at close D.

Reactions: jreinsdorf
Yea Rizzoti is playing close but he is the guy that you could see bumping up if they struggle with their current poles, but you could also see Hubbard doing it as well and he is athletic and versatile enough.

I don’t foresee that happening. We have 3 good poles. Mendyke really came on at the end of the season. The staff has high expectations for him.

I don’t foresee that happening. We have 3 good poles. Mendyke really came on at the end of the season. The staff has high expectations for him.
I think there is a difference between depth and quality depth. There may be a lot of guys but they are going to need to find 5-6 guys who can play without regard for position. I believe that they have the kids to do this they just have to put them in the right spots

Mendyke is a clear number 1. I thought Splaine was really good as a freshman and will be in Como with Jones who got a lot of run. That’s 3 that have already played meaningful minutes. I can’t see there being a need to move anyone but there are definitely options if something happens.

Edwards, Machecha, Howard are the top 3 D mids. I’ve been hearing a lot of good things, especially about Edwards. He’s very athletic.

Mendyke is a clear number 1. I thought Splaine was really good as a freshman and will be in Como with Jones who got a lot of run. That’s 3 that have already played meaningful minutes. I can’t see there being a need to move anyone but there are definitely options if something happens.

Edwards, Machecha, Howard are the top 3 D mids. I’ve been hearing a lot of good things, especially about Edwards. He’s very athletic.
The people I spoke to believed that Mendyke would bump down to close possibly with Rizzoti and Hubbard as Splaine and Jones hold down the LSM spot. Their is also another kid who could play close whose name escapes me.

I hadn’t heard that but I guess anything is possible. Would surprise me after the last conservation I had but anything is possible.

I failed to mention Brandon Hund. He’s another SSDM that’s come in has popped early as you might expect given his resume.

Our rope unit will get us back to NASCAR

I hadn’t heard that but I guess anything is possible. Would surprise me after the last conservation I had but anything is possible.

I failed to mention Brandon Hund. He’s another SSDM that’s come in has popped early as you might expect given his resume.

Our rope unit will get us back to NASCAR
Obviously, your source is better than mine but I think mine has kind of a unique perspective. Mckelvey was the other kid who could be in the rotation. But, I do not doubt, based on the roster that Mendyke could be the #1 pole as they look for the speed and stick handling talent that they lost with Rall moving on.

Ha- I’m sure we have pretty similar ones. McElvey is definitely in the mix. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

Quick question, my understanding is Brecht does not like doing fall games/scrimmages, any reason why? Was that always the the way?

Quick question, my understanding is Brecht does not like doing fall games/scrimmages, any reason why? Was that always the the way?

He is very focused on team and culture development, especially for the younger guys. The Friday intra-squad scrimmages are very competitive and have become a thing in the program. In short, the entire focus is on the team, which really, it almost alway is. Very little attention gets paid to opponents, at least on the field. All about RU. That said, they are playing some of these scrimmages in South Jersey and Long Island this year where alumni events will take place. They will also be open to the public I believe.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT