4.) Safety
3.) Linebacker
2.) Defensive End
1.) Defensive Tackle

Bobby’s Crystal Ball
Five true freshmen will play this season for Rutgers

Recruiting Tidbits
QB Devin Leary – Timber Creek
Another Timber Creek product landed a Rutgers offer yesterday to Leary, a quarterback in the class of 2018. Leary already knows the program very well as Timber Creek has commits to RU’s class of 2016 and 2017, along with two current players on the RU roster.

“I was extremely excited when my coach told me I received the offer in first period today,” Leary said yesterday. “It feels so great that an in-state school, especially Rutgers, has offered me and recognized my talents and it's just truly an honor for Coach Ash to reach out and extend an offer to me.”

WR Everett Wormley – Burlington Township
The recent RU commit has quickly turned into a recruiter, urging other prospects to join him in scarlet.

“Recruiting other guys has been going absolutely great so far. I helped get Jon Taylor and Johnathan Lewis on board and those are two huge gets,” Wormley said.

And just because he is committed, other schools have not stopped pursuing Wormley.

“Since I committed, the schools I already have offers from have still be recruiting me, mainly Boston College and Temple. Also, Maryland, UNC and Stanford have been talking to me,” Wormley said.

RB Jon Lovett – Cherokee
The South Jersey running back continues to remain on the open market and the longer that lasts, the more it looks as though Rutgers is going to pursue other options at running back. Once a heavy Rutgers lean, Lovett seems to be enjoying the recruiting process and is planning to visit Penn State in the coming weeks. Coincidentally, Rutgers targeted another running back from Georgia in the 2017 class as an offer went out to Edmond Graham late this week.

LB C.J. Onyechi – Orange
The junior linebacker has seen a recent wave of Ivy League schools offer and he is not really going to delve back into recruiting until his school year is over as Onyechi is very serious about his studies. Since Onyechi mainly rushed the quarterback last year, some schools want to see him camp before offering. Meanwhile, the RU staff remains in pursuit.

“The coaching staff at Rutgers is phenomenal. They reach out well and they have shown a true interest in me. I talk to them at least twice a week,” Onyechi said.

He is also planning a return trip to see the academic side of Rutgers very soon.

WR Frank Darby – Lincoln High
The Class of 2016 wideout continues to explore his options as he is currently out at Arizona State for an official visit. His options continue to expand as the Iowa coaching staff recently reached back out to him, but it remains to be seen if the Hawkeyes can mend fences with Darby, who is still set to announce his decision after his official visit to Toledo next weekend.

ATH Amad Anderson – Curtis (NY)
The Staten Island class of 2018 athlete picked up a Rutgers offer this week and also had the chance to see the campus for himself last month.

“I had a chance to get a few words in and meet some of the coaches when I had went up there for a spring practice on April 19th. It was a great overall visit, to be honest I really didn't want to leave,” Anderson told Scarlet Nation.

Spring Stock up
Over the past few months, some New Jersey prospects in the class of 2017 have seen their stock start to rise. Here is a look at some of the in-state products who have risen in the ranks of recruiting as of late.

ATH Bryce Watts – Toms River North
Watts was flying way under the radar when RU offered him back in February. Since then, he has pulled in offers, even after he committed as Virginia Tech, Pitt and Boston College were a few of the schools who came calling with offers. However, Watts knew from the outset he wanted to be at Rutgers. He has also impressed on the camp circuit, showing a tremendous amount of athleticism.

DB Harrison Hand – Cherry Hill West
Recruiting was slow going for a bit, but has picked up as of late, Hand’s offer list is up to eight with Virginia Tech and UMass being the latest to offer. The RU commits are making a push for Hand, who has been showcasing his exceptional speed this offseason. That speed allows him to make up ground even when a receiver is able to get a few steps on him.

OL Liam Fornadel – Don Bosco
It is hard to overlook the Bosco pedigree and Fornadel fits that mold of a tough, technically-sound lineman. Fornadel has not seen a bunch of new offers come his way, but if he decides to camp, it would be tough for schools not to offer as he impresses with his toughness and technique.

WR Everett Wormley – Burlington Township
Schools continue to pursue Wormley and his spring performances have shown why. Wormley continually shakes defenders and continues to improve his technique. Had he attended a school that is more heavily recruited, his offer list would have likely increased.

RB Jon Taylor – Salem
Taylor bulked up to an impressive 211 pounds, but has also shown that he has the speed to go along with it. The small school moniker isir relevant when it comes to Taylor’s ability to run the football. This offseason has been extremely beneficial as Taylor boosted his stock quite a bit.

C Owen Drexel – Montclair
Offers have come in for Drexel from a bunch of Ivy League and Patriot Schools while FBS schools have been hesitant because of the height factor. However, Drexel has made a lot of improvement working with Pro E.D.G.E. Training and could wind up being an under-the-radar steal. He is also a standout in the classroom and his high football IQ helps immensely at the center position.

Scarlet Nation on Location
This weekend, Scarlet Nation will be in South Jersey to check out the Next Level Greats 7-on-7 tournament. Everett Wormley will be among those playing for the NLG team while RU target Mark Webb is expected to play with Philly’s finest while New Jersey’s ASG team features RU target Eddie Lewis among others.

Wrestling Recruiting Cracks Top 10

Rutgers signed a consensus top 10 recruiting class this week as its class was ranked No.3 by WIN Magazine, No.9 by Intermat and No. 9 by FloWrestling. Six of the eight wrestlers who signed hail from New Jersey while five of those signees are ranked in the Top 100 by Intermat. Here is a look at that recruiting class:

Matthew Correnti (Delran, N.J.) – Ranked No.54 nationally
Brett Donner (Wall, N.J.)
John Finnerty (Point Pleasant, N.J.)
Joseph Grello (Newton, N.J.) – Ranked No.70- nationally
Brandon Paetzell (Phillipsburg, N.J.) – Ranked No.62 nationally
Mike Van Brill (Mullica Hull, N.J.)
Alex Mackall (Austintown, Ohio) – Ranked No.71 nationally
Kevin Mulligan (Blauvelt, N.Y.) Ranked No.50 nationally - attended Bergen Catholic

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.