ADVERTISEMENT

Florida Att'y General To "Investigate" Playoff Committee

If a state is going to investigate/litigate the selection process there should be a penalty like in the NFL. If an AG loses the challenge you should lose playoff eligibility for every team in your state the following year. Someone should also be helping the volunteer committee with discovery and defense costs up front. Who would ever take that gig?

Baseball got hosed big time
On a side note, I can't wait until a real stadium is built
Games in May with the sun shining will be a treat

I think everyone knows the decision is final
Part of the reason they're doing this is to expose ESPN and the committee

Part could be re. the GOR, and getting a reduced payout amount

Addtionally, a lot of boosters were in favor of joining the SEC. The last thing you need is a civil war amongst the power players in your fan base re. B1G vs. SEC

This definitely helps the B1G narrative
no doubt, looking forward to the emails, texts, etc as I think it's going to show, 'how can we leave Bama out????' and clear favoritism

Haha whatever. So are you saying he changed everyone else vote right before the announcement without them knowing??
So what about ESPN. They are involved with every conference heavily except the Big Ten. Michigan got in and is the #1 seed. Facts doesn't seem to be your conspiracy theory strong suit at all.
Favor banks. Consider the NCAA tourney committee.. you think they don't trade favors? They cannot vote on their own teams.. but don't you think there's a lot of back-scratching going on?

On Rutgers in the Big East.. you think Tranghese ever helped us out when he was even head of some committee? We were not a Catholic.. and not "really" a Big East member. Hell no.. he'd sacrifice us while banking a favor for himself or for schools he cared about.

Same thing happened last year in the NCAA Tourney. The Big Ten member was from Minnesota. .. the team we refused to help out by rescheduling our game with them. You think he was interested in trading favors to get help get in one more Big Ten team? Or do you think he'd just sacrifice to hold goodwill for another purpose.. like a job somewhere for his nephew, brother-in-law, etc. Maybe a bowl game committee spot with perks for himself.

no doubt, looking forward to the emails, texts, etc as I think it's going to show, 'how can we leave Bama out????' and clear favoritism
From a business standpoint, it's the right choice
Bama is a blueblood, bigger brand then FSU, and I'd assume gets massive ratings

From a purely football standpoint, it's criminal
Things are about to get interesting

From a business standpoint, it's the right choice
Bama is a blueblood, bigger brand then FSU, and I'd assume gets massive ratings

From a purely football standpoint, it's criminal
Things are about to get interesting
I agree with the investigation.. that said.. QB injury.. looking like crap in the championship game... c'mon now... FSU ain't great. They will have a chance to prove they deserved that spot.. and if they do, they will have a charge of a split championship... 14-0 will always get to declare a piece of a championship.

I agree with the investigation.. that said.. QB injury.. looking like crap in the championship game... c'mon now... FSU ain't great. They will have a chance to prove they deserved that spot.. and if they do, they will have a charge of a split championship... 14-0 will always get to declare a piece of a championship.
Tate's the backup QB, he played vs. UF and certainly isn't Jordan Travis, but he's serviceable
Tate got hurt on a late hit vs. UF and did not play vs. Louisville as he was in concussion protocol

Brook was third string, but started vs. Louisville b/c Tate was in concussion protocol
He's a true freshman who was hurt half the year and played maybe 30 snaps all year before Louisville.

Tate would have started the semi's, not Brook. They would have played Washington, and would be an underdog without JT. But their defense is legit, and having a month to prepare, I felt very good about that game.

If you win, it's Michigan or Bama in the finals. Both would be favored. Both are very good. But there's no way you get a TCU - UGA outcome. Def not as confident in that outcome as the game vs. Washington in the semi's, but I'd be shocked if it wasn't a one or two score game (either way) for the final outcome

Tate's the backup QB, he played vs. UF and certainly isn't Jordan Travis, but he's serviceable
Tate got hurt on a late hit vs. UF and did not play vs. Louisville as he was in concussion protocol

Brook was third string, but started vs. Louisville b/c Tate was in concussion protocol
He's a true freshman who was hurt half the year and played maybe 30 snaps all year before Louisville.

Tate would have started the semi's, not Brook. They would have played Washington, and would be an underdog without JT. But their defense is legit, and having a month to prepare, I felt very good about that game.

If you win, it's Michigan or Bama in the finals. Both would be favored. Both are very good. But there's no way you get a TCU - UGA outcome. Def not as confident in that outcome as the game vs. Washington in the semi's, but I'd be shocked if it wasn't a one or two score game (either way) for the final outcome
This is exactly why the plan to have byes in a 12-team playoff is wrong. Human judgment deciding on 8 teams or 16 teams (or 6 or 12 or even 4 like this year) cannot be avoided... but at 8 or 16 there is much less a case of undeserving teams getting in.

And the BYEs? Imagine FSU has to play a first-round game because a committee chose conference champions Washington, Michigan, Bama and Texas to get the BYEs. You'll end up with the same problem. BUT.. with 8 or 16 teams.. EVERYONE has to play a first-round game. Everyone is just as tired and beat up in the next game.. though, a 1 vs 16 thru 4 vs 13 would certainly seem to be easier games where you might get a chance to rest starters... (UGA vs TCU).

So, yeah, investigate and find out what really goes on here. How committees are selected, how they may be influenced, etc.

This is exactly why the plan to have byes in a 12-team playoff is wrong. Human judgment deciding on 8 teams or 16 teams (or 6 or 12 or even 4 like this year) cannot be avoided... but at 8 or 16 there is much less a case of undeserving teams getting in.

And the BYEs? Imagine FSU has to play a first-round game because a committee chose conference champions Washington, Michigan, Bama and Texas to get the BYEs. You'll end up with the same problem. BUT.. with 8 or 16 teams.. EVERYONE has to play a first-round game. Everyone is just as tired and beat up in the next game.. though, a 1 vs 16 thru 4 vs 13 would certainly seem to be easier games where you might get a chance to rest starters... (UGA vs TCU).

So, yeah, investigate and find out what really goes on here. How committees are selected, how they may be influenced, etc.
I agree
We all know it's a money grab
We see it in MLB and NFL w/the new wildcards in the playoffs

But going from 4 to 12 teams in the playoffs is insultingly eggregious
6 is ideal
8 possibly
12 is shameful

Look at this year. 1-7, anyone can win it. Then you go 8 and beyond, Oregon lost 2x to Wash, PSU lost to UM and OSU, etc.

I'd almost be more happy if they ranked FSU below UGA and OSU. You can't in your right mind rank them ahead of both those teams, one who lost by 3 to Bama and the other by 7 to Michigan.

I

I wish NJ cared about their state university and college athletics 1/50th the amount that other states cared
Not sure I believe that. "Cared about" often seems to mean overlook sleaze bag behavior and weak academics just to win games.

How can 6 be ideal?

Who should get the byes this year if it were 6? Do you really think it would be Washington for one of them?

I think they'd do this for 6 teams this year..

Winner of Georgia-FSU vs Michigan

Winner of Washington-Texas vs Alabama

That's what the human factor would give you with BYEs in a 6-team format.. imho. They would preserve the possibility of an all-SEC final while allowing for teh possibility of Texas vs Michigan.. which would be a helluva lot of eyeballs too... and 3 of 6 being SEC teams if you count where Texas is headed.

Not sure I believe that. "Cared about" often seems to mean overlook sleaze bag behavior and weak academics just to win games.
I don't condone PSU or Baylor behavior
Child rape and Murder is disgusting

Nor do I condone fake classes / degrees, or the thug life mantra
UNC and Miami, I'm looking at you

But I'd trade a tick down in academics and a few guys getting parking tickets for championships
Nobody wins with chiorior boys

How can 6 be ideal?

Who should get the byes this year if it were 6? Do you really think it would be Washington for one of them?

I think they'd do this for 6 teams this year..

Winner of Georgia-FSU vs Michigan

Winner of Washington-Texas vs Alabama

That's what the human factor would give you with BYEs in a 6-team format.. imho. They would preserve the possibility of an all-SEC final while allowing for teh possibility of Texas vs Michigan.. which would be a helluva lot of eyeballs too... and 3 of 6 being SEC teams if you count where Texas is headed.
I can get behind that
I just think 12 is entirely too many, especially going from 4 to 12 in a single year

Try getting homeowner's insurance in Florida.
Flood insurance is also becoming an issue
Still, football is important there - truthfully, I wish it was just as important in NJ
I know that'll never happen, but one can dream

I agree

6 is ideal
8 possibly
12 is shameful

Look at this year. 1-7, anyone can win it. Then you go 8 and beyond, Oregon lost 2x to Wash, PSU lost to UM and OSU, etc.

I'd almost be more happy if they ranked FSU below UGA and OSU. You can't in your right mind rank them ahead of both those teams, one who lost by 3 to Bama and the other by 7 to Michigan.
You can't rank UGA and OSU ahead of FSU, because FSU actually won all of their games, while UGA and OSU didn't. Your scenario makes more sense if all the teams involved had one loss.

You can't rank UGA and OSU ahead of FSU, because FSU actually won all of their games, while UGA and OSU didn't. Your scenario makes more sense if all the teams involved had one loss.
Texas makes sense to me, Bama does not

Texas is B12 champ and beat SEC champ head to head

Then how could you rank Alabama and Texas ahead of FSU?
That's my exact point - there's no consistency, rhyme or reason for the committee to do what they did.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Then how could you rank Alabama and Texas ahead of FSU?
That's my exact point - there's no consistency, rhyme or reason for the committee to do what they did.
They shouldn't have. It should have been Michigan, Washington, FSU, & Texas. Bama should have been out because of a head to head loss to Texas on their home field.. There was consistency to what the committee did. Their agenda is to always have an SEC team in the playoff, no matter who gets screwed. This season put that into stark relief.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
They shouldn't have. It should have been Michigan, Washington, FSU, & Texas. Bama should have been out because of a head to head loss to Texas on their home field.. There was consistency to what the committee did. Their agenda is to always have an SEC team in the playoff, no matter who gets screwed. This season put that into stark relief.
I agree with this entire post

Nothing is going to change the outcome
The goal here is to out the corruptness of the committee and ESPN

Slice it anyway you want, what happened was messed up
If this happened here at Rutgers, people would be losing their shit
It sort of did last year when we were left out of the NCAA basketball tourney, and we did lose our shit. Almost the same reasoning too, one of our key players was out due to injury.

It sort of did last year when we were left out of the NCAA basketball tourney, and we did lose our shit. Almost the same reasoning too, one of our key players was out due to injury.
Yep def should have been in last year
Now imagine having that happen, but running through the league and winning the conference tourney and still being left out

Reactions: Joey Bags
I agree

6 is ideal
8 possibly
12 is shameful

Id prefer 6 or 8, too, but not sure why you'd compare the pros to make a point against wild cards.

I think the NJ AG should "investigate" the Big Ten for all the bad calls we get in every sport. Everytime we don't get our way, drag everyone through the agony of discovery and filings and lawyers.

Reactions: Kbee3 and Foads
I think the NJ AG should "investigate" the Big Ten for all the bad calls we get in every sport. Everytime we don't get our way, drag everyone through the agony of discovery and filings and lawyers.
The NJ AG would likely try shutting down the athletic department before going to bat for us

However…If those bad calls were eggerious enough that they resulted in an undefeated season & subsequent conference championship being discounted due to a certain 4 letter network wanting a one-loss SEC team in the playoffs for monetary purposes while attempting to hoodwink the public under the guise of “4 best teams,” thus costing said school millions of dollars and a chance at their 4th national title, then I’d be all for it

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT