ADVERTISEMENT

For What It's Worth - OSU at RU

Source

Heisman Winner
Aug 1, 2001
At a bar on Saturday and the band took a break. I went to a TV to catch the World Series and the end of the OSU-Wisconsin game. A guy with an Ohio State shirt came over to watch and we had a brief conversation. Nice guy, a fan of his team but not obnoxious. Liked what Rutgers was doing this season. Said he’s going to Saturday’s game so I asked him, from his perspective, what Rutgers should or shouldn’t do vs. OSU.

In his opinion, he suggested to establish the run game (that RU would do anyway) but don’t take it into the front line. More success running wide (things like jet sweeps). Do not pass to start the game. Instead, he said, the OSU backs like to start cheating up to help out the front line to stifle the run game. Then, you strike with a pass.

Also suggested taking less yardage by punting downfield and out of bounds. OSU likes to kill with punt runbacks at bad times for the opponent.

On defense, keep doing what you're doing. Stop the OSU run because the passing game isn't great.

Like I said, “For what it’s worth.”

At a bar on Saturday and the band took a break. I went to a TV to catch the World Series and the end of the OSU-Wisconsin game. A guy with an Ohio State shirt came over to watch and we had a brief conversation. Nice guy, a fan of his team but not obnoxious. Liked what Rutgers was doing this season. Said he’s going to Saturday’s game so I asked him, from his perspective, what Rutgers should or shouldn’t do vs. OSU.

In his opinion, he suggested to establish the run game (that RU would do anyway) but don’t take it into the front line. More success running wide (things like jet sweeps). Do not pass to start the game. Instead, he said, the OSU backs like to start cheating up to help out the front line to stifle the run game. Then, you strike with a pass.

Also suggested taking less yardage by punting downfield and out of bounds. OSU likes to kill with punt runbacks at bad times for the opponent.

On defense, keep doing what you're doing. Stop the OSU run because the passing game isn't great.

Like I said, “For what it’s worth.”
Was this guy wearing CMU gear and did he answer to the name Connor? 😜

Makes sense after watching some of their games, but his definition of a "not so great" passing game is probably very different from how we would define a "not so great" passing game. There's always the potential to have a big play with Harrison out there. But if the run game is their greater strength, you have to pick your poison and try to neutralize that.

His suggestion about not running into the middle of the line has been something I keep wondering why we do it so much. Our backs look to be fast enough to stretch the width of the field IF our guards and line are able to block properly.
One thing is for sure. At this point of the season, they all know how we play. Need to change some things up and hope to catch them reacting to some other play. Cannot hurt.

We cannot start by trying to establish the run. We need to pass to set up the run.

I think that fan was drunk.

"Establish the run" is something that teams with dominant OLines can do. While our OLine is better this year by a long margin.. it will not dominate OSU or PSU like it could not do vs Michigan or even Wisconsin for that matter.

We need to make the LBs and Safeties worry about pass coverage just a bit. To give the OL a chance to make a hole that doesn't immediately get filled by an LB or DB.

I did notice OSU sending DBs on blitzes.. be that run-blitz or pass-blitz.. so running wide could be a problem too.. if our WRs have not suddenly learned how to legally HOLD like most WRs in this league do. We will need Wimsatt to accurately predict when a DB is going to blitz and we need a receiver to also pick up and that and go wherever that blitzer leaves open for Wimsatt to hit him... and get there FAST.

If someone near a receiver (WR or TE) blitzes I do not want to see Wimsatt reacting and throwing at the back of a receiver's head who should already be looking at Wimsatt on his way to the vacated area. They must be on the same page with blitz situations.

We need to punish the OSU defense for trying to seize the initiative and dictate what they will allow. We need that defense to always fear what we can do to them. More times than not.. if they take a chance with a stunt or blitz.. we must either punish them or a least NOT allow it to succeed.

These are tough asks... but that's what needs to happen to have a shot.

Last week I finally got to see a QB bootleg... for a TD at that. We need that early.. and this week I am begging to see those RB swing passes we did vs Temple... both Brown and Benjamin hit them big vs Temple as they sold out for pass pressure. OSU will do the same.. they send wide DBs on blitzes... I'd ask for a screen.. but damn.. we have not run a successful screen for what seems like a decade.

Last edited:
the one thing I do have to say about the Mich and Wisc games and our ability to establish the run...Against Michigan- put that 30 yd run back in place on that complete BS call and We are over 100 on the ground and KM is 5+ per carry...it also would have allowed us to keep just pounding it instead of having to give up on it.

Wisc- again- we had to give up on the run because of the pick 6...maybe the 3rd/4th qtrs are completely different

OSU give up 100 per game and our running game is better than most teams they have faced. We need to find a way to keep the game close enough to see if we can ground and pound.

the one thing I do have to say about the Mich and Wisc games and our ability to establish the run...Against Michigan- put that 30 yd run back in place on that complete BS call and We are over 100 on the ground and KM is 5+ per carry...it also would have allowed us to keep just pounding it instead of having to give up on it.

Wisc- again- we had to give up on the run because of the pick 6...maybe the 3rd/4th qtrs are completely different

OSU give up 100 per game and our running game is better than most teams they have faced. We need to find a way to keep the game close enough to see if we can ground and pound.
We just cannot try running on 1st down every time.

3rd down is out of our control as it relies on down and distance and field position (ala 4th down territory) to determine run/pass.. mostly.

1st down.. if you are not passing it half the time you are doing it wrong... imho. Unless it it later in the game and you know they cannot stop your run... you cannot know that in the 1st quarter. And it is unlikely to be the situation vs OSU anyway.

His suggestion about not running into the middle of the line has been something I keep wondering why we do it so much. Our backs look to be fast enough to stretch the width of the field IF our guards and line are able to block properly.
One thing is for sure. At this point of the season, they all know how we play. Need to change some things up and hope to catch them reacting to some other play. Cannot hurt.
Yes. Mix it up. Maybe misdirection.

confused-gif.gif

Ohio State is 105th in the country in punt returns and hasn't returned a punt for a touchdown since 2014. Punt with impunity, we're mostly happy if the returner catches the ball.

• Haha
Reactions: brgRC90
Jet sweeps with Kyle and the “Florida Flash” Benjamin should be in our game plan.

Jet sweeps with Kyle and the “Florida Flash” Benjamin should be in our game plan.
If play 1 was a pitch run to the outside- it’s going house. They couldn’t even buy that play call from Michigan

confused-gif.gif

Ohio State is 105th in the country in punt returns and hasn't returned a punt for a touchdown since 2014. Punt with impunity, we're mostly happy if the returner catches the ball.
Yep. The OSU special teams are "special". I fully expect Schiano to pull something out of his hat to embarrass them at some point.

• Wow
Reactions: RUScrew85
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT