ADVERTISEMENT

Former teammates say it's time for Rutgers to welcome back Ray Rice

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
"We hope Rutgers steps out there to give him a second chance because I think it will suck if he gets that second chance (in the NFL) - and I think he's going to do a great job with it - and then Rutgers comes back," said Patriots safety Devin McCourty, who was teammates with Rice for three years at Rutgers. "Knowing Ray, he'll probably still be with it, but I think it would be great (if Rutgers acts first)."

Rutgers athletics spokesman Tom Luicci said there has not been any further discussion about Rice's status at Rutgers. Luicci said Rice would be included in the "Knights in the NFL" feature if he signs with a team.

Former teammates say it's time...

Originally posted by Tango Two:

"We hope Rutgers steps out there to give him a second chance because I think it will suck if he gets that second chance (in the NFL) - and I think he's going to do a great job with it - and then Rutgers comes back," said Patriots safety Devin McCourty, who was teammates with Rice for three years at Rutgers. "Knowing Ray, he'll probably still be with it, but I think it would be great (if Rutgers acts first)."

Rutgers athletics spokesman Tom Luicci said there has not been any further discussion about Rice's status at Rutgers. Luicci said Rice would be included in the "Knights in the NFL" feature if he signs with a team.
I certainly think he should be back in Knights in the NFL (i nfact him getting cut saved us fro mhaving to make a tough decision).

As for welcoming him back. I would say we shouldnt turn him away, but he shouldnt be front and center like he might have been before unless its someway related to working for domestic abuse prevention causes.

perhaps a shawn tucker type role - maybe something like "associate athletic director for community outreach and support"

I do wish a team would pick him up. but as I said before he is getting a little long in the tooth for running back.
That said he should get a community service job, with Rutgers would be good but the skunk at the scum liar will rip him and the AD and the athletic dept. if it for sports only.

Well, it makes sense if he is playing in the NFL that he would be on Knights in the NFL and if he is not with a team or suspended, he is not on it...

Originally posted by yesrutgers01:

Well, it makes sense if he is playing in the NFL that he would be on Knights in the NFL and if he is not with a team or suspended, he is not on it...
+1

Pretty simple.

On a team, on the screen. Not on a team, not on the screen.

If Ray can't make it back to the NFL, furthering his education and being a grad asst for the football program would be a good path. Maybe quality control or working with the RB's.

I don't see Rice taking a job with Rutgers or Rutgers offering him a job anytime soon. Someday maybe but we are not even a year removed from the hype.

I think if Rice doesn't land on a team he will lay low for a year. He was dragged through the press and I'm sure outside of football he will concentrate on his wife and family.

The Knights in the NFL video is a minor point. The former players want Rice's pics (& any gear) to return to the stadium & Hale, & they want Rutgers to stop distancing itself from him. What's everyone's opinion on that?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by Leonard23:
The Knights in the NFL video is a minor point. The former players want Rice's pics (& any gear) to return to the stadium & Hale, & they want Rutgers to stop distancing itself from him. What's everyone's opinion on that?

Too soon

Originally posted by WhiteBus:

Too soon
Yup. Much too soon.

Like a bandaid, just rip it off. RU will get pot shots from the press regardless, might as well get it over with. I'm not saying they should devote a wing of the Hale Center to him but ease him back. A jersey, couple pics, and get him on the sidelines for a game or two. The NFL has moved on, his wife has moved on, the city of Baltimore has moved on, why shouldn't RU?

All in good time.

One bad episode (a really bad one granted) should not define his whole life. We're not talking Bill Cosby here.

I agree with posters above, it's still a little soon. I hope he latches on with a team and does really well. He has a ton of image rehab in front of him though.

He'll be back.

Important, I think, for domestic violence advocates to have their say in this and sign off on his "rehabilitation" before Rutgers makes that move. Getting them on board is going to be key for Rutgers's reputation.

Originally posted by vascosg:
Ray should come on campus to advocate against domestic violence. [/QUOTE]+1... itd have to be at the right time, otherwise a certain local media would rip us apart

Just like how he has been going to New Rochelle to talk to students and athletes about avoiding these situations, they should have him speak to RU students or do something positive around here WITH his wife. This would have to be publicized so that people see that we're turning his negative into a positive and so could everyone else.

McCourty is right, if someone is going to get his back it's got to be us before the NFL does. We cant let NJ.com terrorize us into alienating him forever. We can't do it too soon but we definitely can't do it too late

I
Bringing Ray back should happen sooner, rather than later, but it needs to be a well thought out progression that includes community service and advocacy against. Domestic violence. It should include his wife and it needs to be done properly.

Originally posted by knightfan7:

Too soon
Yup. Much too soon.
LOL. None of the Ray Rice photos were ever taken down in the Hale Center. They are literally everywhere in the hallways. I don't know what Ti Underwood is talking about with that.

Ray was not removed from the Knights in the NFL until after he was no longer on an NFL team. The only thing I can think of is that maybe he has chosen or possibly was asked, to stay off campus for awhile. If that was the case, I am sure it will blow over at some point.
This post was edited on 2/26 12:45 PM by Ole Cabbagehead

Originally posted by Ole Cabbagehead:

Too soon
Yup. Much too soon.
LOL. None of the Ray Rice photos were ever taken down in the Hale Center. They are literally everywhere in the hallways. I don't know what Ti Underwood is talking about with that.

Ray was not removed from the Knights in the NFL until after he was no longer on an NFL team. The only thing I can think of is that maybe he has chosen or possibly was asked, to stay off campus for awhile. If that was the case, I am sure it will blow over at some point.
How about the stadium? Weren't we told they were removed from there (maybe a few wall wraps)?

Originally posted by Ole Cabbagehead:

Too soon
Yup. Much too soon.

How about the stadium? Weren't we told they were removed from there (maybe a few wall wraps)?
I'm not sure, and was trying to think if there was anything taken down in the "public" areas. I don't recall there ever being any player photos in the stadium, but I certainly could be mistaken.

I expect Rice to sign with someone. Perhaps even the Jets as a third down back. The question is would he want to be associated with Rutgers in any capacity? RU didn't exactly stand by him in his time of need.

Originally posted by zealott:
I expect Rice to sign with someone. Perhaps even the Jets as a third down back. The question is would he want to be associated with Rutgers in any capacity? RU didn't exactly stand by him in his time of need.
To be fair, Zealott, when the Ravens were on TV and they introduced the lineups, all the players on both teams that had attended college identified themselves with their college name--AJ Hawk, The Ohio State University, Eli Manning, University of Mississippi, for example. Ray Rice? New Rochelle High School. The last couple of years, he never identified himself with Rutgers, so he had already disassociated himself with RU when the unfortunate mugging in the elevator happened.
Not sure why he chose to do that, but there it was.
TL

Originally posted by Scarlet83:
I
Bringing Ray back should happen sooner, rather than later, but it needs to be a well thought out progression that includes community service and advocacy against. Domestic violence. It should include his wife and it needs to be done properly.
This would not go over well, and you all know it. It would be seen for what it is.

And it wouldn't just be the Ledger angry about this. So you can ditch that line now.

Video makes the "penance" period about six times longer. Hell, Marv Albert didn't do anything remotely like a knockout punch in an elevator and he sat out for a while. Now, we forget about it, because in the big picture it's not a big deal. This WAS a big deal.

That video make a worse situation that much worse.

Don't hold your breaths.

Originally posted by zealott:
I thought that Coach Flood's comments after the KO punch video were supportive of Ray. Said something like Ray will
always be part of the RU family. What exactly was it that RU did not do ? AFAIK all his jerseys and photos are still on display in the Hale Center.

who the hell cares what the papers say? They are going to say what they say no matter what, so bring our boy back home and get it over with. He had one incident and as family we should accept him. His wife for crying out loud is over it, we need to get over it.

repeat after me: IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT THE PAPERS SAY. CONTROVERSY GOES AWAY.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT