ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 5: Good Bounce Back

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
All is well. Well that is up for debate but at least for tonight the team got a needed strong response to a really subpar performance vs St Bonaventure. Not a work of art but this was probably the best team on paper that RU has faced at the RAC this year and overall it was a better performance than vs either Bryant or Drexel...baby steps. A big positive to see tonight was a sharp start to the game on defense. RU really bothered SFA and forced some turnovers and some tough shots in the first 10 minutes or so. I think RU gave up maybe 6 points in that time. On the offense end RU surprisingly drained a few from three point land early and built the lead to double digits. While from there the overplay got a little spotty and I thought the offense fell back into its all too familiar struggles. The difference from Bryant and Drexel was that RU upped their game midway through the 2nd half to push out to a big 16 point lead and realistically were not threatened for that.

That 5 minute stretch from about the 15 minute mark to the 10 minute mark may have been RU's best of the season and if RU is going to overachieve this season, you see how they can get to that place and it all revolves around defense and pressuring the ball. RU forced SFA into 6 turnovers during a 12-0 run where instead of jacking up 3s, RU made the Lumberjacks pay for their mistakes by taking it to the hoop and by unleashing Yeboah on them. Yeboah scored 8 points in the stretch including a dunk in his most impressive stretch as a Knight simply taking over the game. Leader Geo added 4 including a steal and Mulcahy got some major time contributing with a couple of boards and an assist. Jacob Young was solid in that stretch with 2 of his assists. I cannot recall the exact lineup so if someone can help me out with that. I believe Dourcoure saw time, Myles may have gone out because of the third foul. Alot of talk this year has been that RU is missing an edge, its been hard to put my finger on but what it is comes down to defense. Its been lacking in every game but Niagara. Its clear for a team that is going to have trouble generating half court offense that this team needs to generate alot of its offense from forcing turnovers and being aggressive in making the opponent pay. Tonight we saw RU break open the game by finally converting and executing in the way that we had all hope they could...and taking advantage of its strengths that guys like Young and Yeboah provide. The endless jacking up of 3s isnt going to work all the time. Sometimes its okay to explore other options on offfense. That is where Yeboah comes in. We saw more of him for offense and less of Harper who after 11 in the first half, I believe did not score in the 2nd half.

I think overall many players had some solid individual games. Caleb had a breakout game for this season with 16 points and 6 boards and 3-5 from 3. Caleb had been slow to get started this year so this was a real good sign to see. Harper while quiet offensively in the 2nd half was instrumental in the first half in keeping RU in control with 3 treys and 11 points. As said before Mulcahy got some real quality minutes in a key stretch while also hitting his first 3 in the first half. Myles, frustrating on offense because we cannot seem to get him the ball, got into foul trouble at times but in just 18 minutes collected 8 board and had 3 blocks, albeit his free throw shooting was foul. I think Young is a work in progress. Some good things but some bad..free throw shooting and 5 turnovers. Baker just seemed to do the right things when we needed him to do. Growing into that leadership role. 11 points but key foul shots, key buckets to right the ship. As I said before about Yeboah, just scratching the surface with that 18 minutes, 13 point performance on 4-5 shooting and 5-7 at the line. Key thing going forward for the success of this team is how quickly Pike can weave him in and out of the lineup and get the most production out of him. Its clear that his size and width can give RU an advantage and provide some of that production that RU lost with Gene's departure. As for Mathis, its a mystery to me right now, just has not developed the consistency yet and only 16 minutes tonight despite being a starter.

Like I said in another thread in response to another poster, this is a flawed team. Its got holes and its frustrating to watch the team sort of let up a little after they get things up to double digits. Seems to happen almost immediately and you can sense they let down a bit. That killer instinct has to be developed and there will be a few opportunities to develop this needed trait at the RAC before the big dogs come calling. In addition the free throw shooting continues to be woeful just 17-28 is not going to cut it. The plus is that RU is getting to the line alot...and actually I think they got to the line over 20 times in the 2nd half. RU needs to get better, that is an understatement. So a nice rebound to a bad loss, which happens sometimes, maybe if they beat St Bonnies, they lose this game so it was good to see RU not dwell on that loss and learn some lessons from 2 of their previous close wins at the RAC. I also thought Pike coached a much better game today and liked his substitution patterns and liked the way he threw on some pressure at times to get some instant offense and energize the team.

I am happy that we won. Right now we are a bad basketball team. So many concerns and so much to work on.

My takes:

- Yeboah was the key to the win in the 2nd half. He hit big shots; played steady defense and was rock solid. Needs to play more and in pivotal times.

- Key lineup in 2nd half that spurred our win was Geo - Young - Dourcore - Yeboah - Mulcahy. Was glad Pike stayed with them for 6-7 minutes and did not go sub crazy.

- Jacob Young: he's like a box of chocolates. You don't know what the hell you're going to get. In any sequence, you will see the Good and Bad Jacob. Can't figure him out but he's definitely a character.

- Caleb: Man is he winning me over and thus yes I agree he needs to play 25 minutes minimally per game.

- Myles: came on in 2nd half which was good to see. Want to see him become more assertive.

To me, something's not right with the team. Don't know if it's team chemistry or some guys upset with minutes etc but some intangible aspect is lacking to date in my opinion.

I don’t think we are a bad basketball team at all. Just think we have to emphasize the positive.

Perimeter defense was much better today.

SFA leads the nation in forcing turnovers? We adjusted and played very well in the second half.

Caleb carried us in 1st half. Thought Yeboah carried us in the 2nd.

Young with his good plays shows so much potential.

Mulchay had nice minutes.

Harper has a very nice first half.

There is enough good stuff. Have to rebound better and shoot foul shots better. SFA is pretty good. It was a nice win. No real negatives other than not covering. Turnovers in the first weren’t good but very good in the 2nd. Would like to get Johnson involved offensively a bit more.

Decent game, righted the boat.

All is well. Well that is up for debate but at least for tonight the team got a needed strong response to a really subpar performance vs St Bonaventure. Not a work of art but this was probably the best team on paper that RU has faced at the RAC this year and overall it was a better performance than vs either Bryant or Drexel...baby steps. A big positive to see tonight was a sharp start to the game on defense. RU really bothered SFA and forced some turnovers and some tough shots in the first 10 minutes or so. I think RU gave up maybe 6 points in that time. On the offense end RU surprisingly drained a few from three point land early and built the lead to double digits. While from there the overplay got a little spotty and I thought the offense fell back into its all too familiar struggles. The difference from Bryant and Drexel was that RU upped their game midway through the 2nd half to push out to a big 16 point lead and realistically were not threatened for that.

That 5 minute stretch from about the 15 minute mark to the 10 minute mark may have been RU's best of the season and if RU is going to overachieve this season, you see how they can get to that place and it all revolves around defense and pressuring the ball. RU forced SFA into 6 turnovers during a 12-0 run where instead of jacking up 3s, RU made the Lumberjacks pay for their mistakes by taking it to the hoop and by unleashing Yeboah on them. Yeboah scored 8 points in the stretch including a dunk in his most impressive stretch as a Knight simply taking over the game. Leader Geo added 4 including a steal and Mulcahy got some major time contributing with a couple of boards and an assist. Jacob Young was solid in that stretch with 2 of his assists. I cannot recall the exact lineup so if someone can help me out with that. I believe Dourcoure saw time, Myles may have gone out because of the third foul. Alot of talk this year has been that RU is missing an edge, its been hard to put my finger on but what it is comes down to defense. Its been lacking in every game but Niagara. Its clear for a team that is going to have trouble generating half court offense that this team needs to generate alot of its offense from forcing turnovers and being aggressive in making the opponent pay. Tonight we saw RU break open the game by finally converting and executing in the way that we had all hope they could...and taking advantage of its strengths that guys like Young and Yeboah provide. The endless jacking up of 3s isnt going to work all the time. Sometimes its okay to explore other options on offfense. That is where Yeboah comes in. We saw more of him for offense and less of Harper who after 11 in the first half, I believe did not score in the 2nd half.

I think overall many players had some solid individual games. Caleb had a breakout game for this season with 16 points and 6 boards and 3-5 from 3. Caleb had been slow to get started this year so this was a real good sign to see. Harper while quiet offensively in the 2nd half was instrumental in the first half in keeping RU in control with 3 treys and 11 points. As said before Mulcahy got some real quality minutes in a key stretch while also hitting his first 3 in the first half. Myles, frustrating on offense because we cannot seem to get him the ball, got into foul trouble at times but in just 18 minutes collected 8 board and had 3 blocks, albeit his free throw shooting was foul. I think Young is a work in progress. Some good things but some bad..free throw shooting and 5 turnovers. Baker just seemed to do the right things when we needed him to do. Growing into that leadership role. 11 points but key foul shots, key buckets to right the ship. As I said before about Yeboah, just scratching the surface with that 18 minutes, 13 point performance on 4-5 shooting and 5-7 at the line. Key thing going forward for the success of this team is how quickly Pike can weave him in and out of the lineup and get the most production out of him. Its clear that his size and width can give RU an advantage and provide some of that production that RU lost with Gene's departure. As for Mathis, its a mystery to me right now, just has not developed the consistency yet and only 16 minutes tonight despite being a starter.

Like I said in another thread in response to another poster, this is a flawed team. Its got holes and its frustrating to watch the team sort of let up a little after they get things up to double digits. Seems to happen almost immediately and you can sense they let down a bit. That killer instinct has to be developed and there will be a few opportunities to develop this needed trait at the RAC before the big dogs come calling. In addition the free throw shooting continues to be woeful just 17-28 is not going to cut it. The plus is that RU is getting to the line alot...and actually I think they got to the line over 20 times in the 2nd half. RU needs to get better, that is an understatement. So a nice rebound to a bad loss, which happens sometimes, maybe if they beat St Bonnies, they lose this game so it was good to see RU not dwell on that loss and learn some lessons from 2 of their previous close wins at the RAC. I also thought Pike coached a much better game today and liked his substitution patterns and liked the way he threw on some pressure at times to get some instant offense and energize the team.
Actually BAC ,nice recap . Although it was important to bounce back and we did it by playing defense, I was never more unhappy watching a game we were winning by almost double digits all game . I am starting to really worry about our offense. I am baffled at what we are running on offense. Absolutely no attempt to get Myles on the block or Carter for the short time he played and Duke only once . A lot of standing around and one on one play hoping our guards beat a guy off the dribble. Almost back fired early as Geo was 0-3 with 4 turnovers early and was either scoreless at half or had 2 points . He looked like he was sick. I know he ended with 11 but that is not what I want to see out of Geo. Same with Ron , started fast and got some alley oops,and a lucky banked three in the first half . Then scoreless in the second half. We had him way on top. Why was he not on the block. Why are our guards not feeding the post and why is coach not putting some of our guys down there and running plays for Ron or Myles in the post. An entire half court offense, is isolation and late screen but has looked like crap. We need Geo or Ron to score 20-25 more than once a year. Maybe my expectations were they were both going to take a huge next step but it has not happened yet. Open to discuss reasons.
The other thing that was atrocious were the turnovers 19 or 20. Totally unacceptable. Although we got SFA to turn it over 19 times, we caused a ton of them with our defense, our length, and with our deflections. On the other hand, we dribbled off our feet, overthrew an alley oop and under threw one , three moving screens , careless dribbling by point guards. The guy who looks the most comfortable with the ball is Paul , who had some great assists including a beautiful no look for the dunk . We do not use the bounce pass enough and we should be.
Also , I did not love the rotations again, and his quick subs .i think it is having a real negative affect on all our players and no one is getting in a rhythm. The only one he is leaving out there more than 5 minutes at a time is Geo but he is differing too too much, and does not want to be the guy to step on the opponent’s throat . I know some here will get on Montes for a couple of turnovers , but Coach left him on the bench for the last 13-14 minutes. That should never happen. He is doing nothing to help Montes, nor are any plays Ru for him , running around curls or a double screen down low, where he can get a head of steam and drive hard to the hole. The kid looks confused and his confidence is being shattered . Coach has to be better with his rotations and figure it out because we look disjointed and besides being bailed out by fast break run outs , the offense is offensive . The players are not being put in the best position to succeed.
I know most of the response has been negative but I had high expectations for this team with these players and they do not look comfortable or fluid and it looks ugly so far.

I said in the live thread Paul seems to be the most reliable with the ball. Pretty impressive/scary depending on how you want to look at it. It just feels like he will get the offense going and move the ball in the right direction with every play. Always has his head up and not forcing things.

Geo forced a bunch of turnovers. Young too. It will be an interesting trend to watch especially once the level of competition increases. We must protect the ball better

THE BIG CONCERNS FROM. MY END AREMYLES AND MONTEZZ.

NICE GAMES FROM CALEB AND PAUL.

Caleb is a good player and Myles needs to make some foul shots. I would have fouled him last two minutes.

IF GAMES WERE 26-30 MINUTES:

Rutgers beats Bryant by 16
Rutgers beats Niagara by 37
Rutgers beats Drexel by 10
Rutgers beats St. Bonaventure by 10 (last 26 minutes)
Rutgers beats Stephen F. Austin by 14

Simply put, this team has only played a full 40 minutes once all year and that had as much to do with Niagara being terrible as anything else.

NJIT and UMass are both near the St. Bonaventure level so they better learn how to bring it all game and not let up or they're going to drop one of those.

PS: The fun of small early season sample sizes...

McConnell went from 25% to 38% on three-pointers in one game, and Harper went from 28% to 35%.

Along with Yeboah, now we have three 35% guys.

Baker and Young still need a game where they get hot shooting.

IF GAMES WERE 26-30 MINUTES:

Rutgers beats Bryant by 16
Rutgers beats Niagara by 37
Rutgers beats Drexel by 10
Rutgers beats St. Bonaventure by 10 (last 26 minutes)
Rutgers beats Stephen F. Austin by 14

Simply put, this team has only played a full 40 minutes once all year and that had as much to do with Niagara being terrible as anything else.

NJIT and UMass are both near the St. Bonaventure level so they better learn how to bring it all game and not let up or they're going to drop one of those.

all true...but I think we might learn to accept baby steps. Last night was a better response in play vs Drexel and Bryant against a better team but I agree its frustrating the very quickl mindfreezes this team has that allows an opponent to quick go on a run.

How the heck did we go from people getting upset at anyone would predict less than 8 B1G wins to being happy beating a high 200s team at home by 12 in 5 games.

Reactions: ILikePike
Hopefully this team is gelling better each day in practice and learning to play with this year's style and pace. I'm wondering if some of these guys are just "in their heads" a bit, which might account for some of the lapses in ball protection and off shooting numbers.

Time will tell. NJIT and UMass are better on paper than any of the teams we've beaten. Need to tighten things up as the real stretch of the early season looms.

the win was good because it was the program needed coming off of a bad loss. It wasnt spectacular but it was against a very solid program. Not sure the constant dissing of SF Austin. I only expect 7 Big 10 wins.

Didn't watch game, but sounds like we remembered we need to play good defense to win games. Hope they don't forget again.

Reactions: Scangg
I'm wondering if some of these guys are just "in their heads" a bit, which might account for some of the lapses in ball protection and off shooting numbers.
At this point that is my hope.

Being a fan it is very difficult to not get to emotional. With all players, except Geo, on different teams or different roles it should take time. Watching the past 3 games I can't help think we don't have the horses. Need to give it more time. The next 6 games will be very telling. Anything from 5-1 to 1-5 is possible.

Reactions: RUChoppin
My takes:

- Yeboah was the key to the win in the 2nd half. He hit big shots; played steady defense and was rock solid. Needs to play more and in pivotal times.

- Key lineup in 2nd half that spurred our win was Geo - Young - Dourcore - Yeboah - Mulcahy. Was glad Pike stayed with them for 6-7 minutes and did not go sub crazy.

- Jacob Young: he's like a box of chocolates. You don't know what the hell you're going to get. In any sequence, you will see the Good and Bad Jacob. Can't figure him out but he's definitely a character.

- Caleb: Man is he winning me over and thus yes I agree he needs to play 25 minutes minimally per game.

- Myles: came on in 2nd half which was good to see. Want to see him become more assertive.

To me, something's not right with the team. Don't know if it's team chemistry or some guys upset with minutes etc but some intangible aspect is lacking to date in my opinion.
I still don't like our offense when we set no off the ball the screens and when they pushed out the defense we looked completely lost with no movement and 1 guy holding onto the ball especially towards the end of the game when SFAU made a little run;
Also we need Geo more he was terrible in the first half had at least 4 turnovers himself;
One more thing we are so hesitant on open shots especially 3 pointers its a big problem; Shoot the open 3!!

the win was good because it was the program needed coming off of a bad loss. It wasnt spectacular but it was against a very solid program. Not sure the constant dissing of SF Austin. I only expect 7 Big 10 wins.

SF Austin was 7-11 last year in the Southland Conference. The Southland conference was #29 out of 32.

My take away from last night's game was that we need a reliable consistent rebounder in addition to Myles. This is where Rutgers misses Omuryui along with his mental toughness. Hopefully Yeboah will fill that role but until that time Rutgers will struggle to lock down any opponent. I don't recall if there have been key moments in any game when Carter has been on the floor with Johnson and if so, what was the result?

My take away from last night's game was that we need a reliable consistent rebounder in addition to Myles. This is where Rutgers misses Omuryui along with his mental toughness. Hopefully Yeboah will fill that role but until that time Rutgers will struggle to lock down any opponent. I don't recall if there have been key moments in any game when Carter has been on the floor with Johnson and if so, what was the result?

One story line was the fact that Duke, at least for this game, moved ahead of Carter on the depth chart AND Mathis stayed glued to the bench in the 2nd half again.

There's been 5 games and my question would be when did the team look good early last year in the 1st half of the season??

We could say FDU and Drexel in the 1st 2 games....but we went through St John's, Eastern Michigan, a very sluggish game vs Boston university then got past Miami on the road and played a good half vs Wisconsin....but Wisconsin Michigan State Seton Hall and Fordham was a 4 game losing streak.

Things looked much worse last year IMO....we were extremely limited with Geo learning how to function without Corey Sanders and Eugene as the front court scoring threat. And a bunch of freshman unknowns who didn't play well early.

It was also heavy minutes and playing time for Issa Thiam, Peter Kiss and mixing Shaq Doorson.

I would be shocked if after 20 or so starts for Harper, Mathis that things would click....and McConnell was shaky and barely played in the 1st few games last year, now he's on the court for 20+ minutes......and we're finding minutes for Mulcahy to learn on the fly.

In some ways we're much further along than last year and I know St Bona and SFA aren't Eastern Michigan and Boston University.....but Bona and SFA are definitely better teams than what we faced at this time last year.

I

We had 3 25 point wins in the 1st 5 games last year. We had 1 stinker in SJU. The other 4, statisticly we played great defense.

Right now Eatern Michigan and BU are better than anyone we have faced outside of SB

Our current kenpom SOS is 336

One more thing we are so hesitant on open shots especially 3 pointers its a big problem; Shoot the open 3!!
I don't have a problem with not hoisting up 3s. I have more of a problem with having an open inside shot and passing the ball to the perimeter rather than taking the shot. We saw that several times yesterday.

SF Austin was 7-11 last year in the Southland Conference. The Southland conference was #29 out of 32.

Yes, and the year before they got an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament out of that same conference. Last season, they lost a 3-year starter to injury prior to the season and had another starter dismissed after just 5 games. They're traditionally an above average mid-major team.

Yes, and the year before they got an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament out of that same conference. Last season, they lost a 3-year starter to injury prior to the season and had another starter dismissed after just 5 games. They're traditionally an above average mid-major team.

low major team...Southland Conference is not a mid conference...it is low.

Didn't see the game, no TV, but listened to a good chunk of the 2nd half of the radio

I bought the hype from that SFA fan that posted here. But apparently it was a tight game at half time

Free throws are important, Jerry Carino said its recruited not taught. Kyk quoted him in his 5 points thread.

Pike got the team to play tough against a pretty physical team.

And they guarded the 3 well.

low major team...Southland Conference is not a mid conference...it is low.

Sure. Though, if you're not one of the top 8-9 conferences, you're pretty much a one-bid conference (though Southland got 2 in 2018). So, do you consider there to be like 6 major conferences, 3 mid-majors, and the rest low?

Let's also not forget Brad Underwood is at Illinois. This is Year 4 of the new coach. Years 1 and 2 were successful.....we have seen that script in FB at RU

http://barttorvik.com/trank.php?year=2019&conyes=1#

Up to you where to draw the line. I am not sure how many major or power conferences there are 5? 6? 7?

Which is what I'm saying - it's fairly subjective, and there's no definitive line that I'm aware of. I've got no argument with someone calling them low major (or with someone saying anything outside the top six is a mid-major). Southland is traditionally a one-bid conference, and SFA has frequently been that one bid (appearing in the conference tournament championship 7 of the last 11 years, winning 5 and getting 1 at-large selection for 6 NCAA bids in that time).

There's been 5 games and my question would be when did the team look good early last year in the 1st half of the season??

We could say FDU and Drexel in the 1st 2 games....but we went through St John's, Eastern Michigan, a very sluggish game vs Boston university then got past Miami on the road and played a good half vs Wisconsin....but Wisconsin Michigan State Seton Hall and Fordham was a 4 game losing streak.

Things looked much worse last year IMO....we were extremely limited with Geo learning how to function without Corey Sanders and Eugene as the front court scoring threat. And a bunch of freshman unknowns who didn't play well early.

It was also heavy minutes and playing time for Issa Thiam, Peter Kiss and mixing Shaq Doorson.

I would be shocked if after 20 or so starts for Harper, Mathis that things would click....and McConnell was shaky and barely played in the 1st few games last year, now he's on the court for 20+ minutes......and we're finding minutes for Mulcahy to learn on the fly.

In some ways we're much further along than last year and I know St Bona and SFA aren't Eastern Michigan and Boston University.....but Bona and SFA are definitely better teams than what we faced at this time last year.

I think I agree with this take. We didn't look great in the OOC last year, but we ended up gelling by the B1G schedule in January. Gives me hope that Pike knows how to figure things out through the ebbs and flows of a season.

One story line was the fact that Duke, at least for this game, moved ahead of Carter on the depth chart AND Mathis stayed glued to the bench in the 2nd half again.
I liked what I saw from Duke last night though Carter s been ok. Montez’ erratic shot in the paint in the second half last night probably sealed his fate to the bench

I liked what I saw from Duke last night though Carter s been ok. Montez’ erratic shot in the paint in the second half last night probably sealed his fate to the bench
I was wondering what it was. I don’t remember a defensive lapse. It also could be Pike thought the others helped us win more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT