ADVERTISEMENT

Gavin Wimsatt Story

Speaking of Gavin... I didn't want to start a new thread about this, and I don't mean to hijack this one - but are the scoreboard player intro videos only played for starters? I don't remember...

The scoreboard operator was doing a dry run through videos when I was by the stadium Tuesday night - but maybe we're all in for a surprise...

I also don't mean to hijack this thread but ...

I am curious how the coaching staff chooses to use Wimsatt for the remainder of the season (assuming they do plan on using him). He's already appeared in 1 game. That means, to retain the redshirt - which I'm sure is tops on their minds - he can only appear in 3 more games this season (and we have 4 left). Thus, the coaching staff would have to consider which game he DOESN'T appear in (perhaps the one where we play a team with a killer pass rush?). And, let's say that we go to a bowl game this year, he wouldn't be able to appear in that game, either.

But, call me crazy, I think coaching staffs need to start evolving when it comes to something like preserving a redshirt. Who says Gavin won't just transfer after next year and go somewhere else? Players make all kinds of decisions they think are best for them, coaches have to do the same. Mel Tucker used/relied on the transfer portal, with great success. It's a way to evolve with the ever-changing nature of college football. Or, perhaps Gavin chooses to leave school early and head to the NFL. Was it that important to retain his redshirt under the possibility that it could be used in the future, to the detriment of the present?

All of this is to say that - if a player can play and help the team win, the coaching staff should play him now regardless of the (possibly archaic) notion of preserving the redshirt.

Thoughts?

Speaking of Gavin... I didn't want to start a new thread about this, and I don't mean to hijack this one - but are the scoreboard player intro videos only played for starters? I don't remember...

The scoreboard operator was doing a dry run through videos when I was by the stadium Tuesday night - but maybe we're all in for a surprise...
interesting-batman.gif

I am curious how the coaching staff chooses to use Wimsatt for the remainder of the season (assuming they do plan on using him). He's already appeared in 1 game. That means, to retain the redshirt - which I'm sure is tops on their minds - he can only appear in 3 more games this season (and we have 4 left). Thus, the coaching staff would have to consider which game he DOESN'T appear in (perhaps the one where we play a team with a killer pass rush?). And, let's say that we go to a bowl game this year, he wouldn't be able to appear in that game, either.

But, call me crazy, I think coaching staffs need to start evolving when it comes to something like preserving a redshirt. Who says Gavin won't just transfer after next year and go somewhere else? Players make all kinds of decisions they think are best for them, coaches have to do the same. Mel Tucker used/relied on the transfer portal, with great success. It's a way to evolve with the ever-changing nature of college football. Or, perhaps Gavin chooses to leave school early and head to the NFL. Was it that important to retain his redshirt under the possibility that it could be used in the future, to the detriment of the present?

All of this is to say that - if a player can play and help the team win, the coaching staff should play him now regardless of the (possibly archaic) notion of preserving the redshirt.

Thoughts?

I've said this a number of times before but will repeat. Gavin is an 18 year old slender true freshman who has not had the benefit of a college offseason S&C program. He is not physically prepared to get the punishment that Vedral has been taking all year. Preserving his health is a higher priority than possibly losing a year of play because he leaves early for the NFL. That's actually a win-win if it were to happen.

I've said this a number of times before but will repeat. Gavin is an 18 year old slender true freshman who has not had the benefit of a college offseason S&C program. He is not physically prepared to get the punishment that Vedral has been taking all year. Preserving his health is a higher priority than possibly losing a year of play because he leaves early for the NFL. That's actually a win-win if it were to happen.
he is 6'3" 200 lbs.. he doesn't look too thin. He looks strong to me..
ff4440dd-e3de-4b8d-a9df-7f5b91d1b87a-ds7720fbgavinwimsatt09.JPG

Reactions: RutgersMO
he is 6'3" 200 lbs.. he doesn't look too thin. He looks strong to me..
ff4440dd-e3de-4b8d-a9df-7f5b91d1b87a-ds7720fbgavinwimsatt09.JPG

Vedral is 2 inches shorter, same weight, has been through at least 3 years of offseason S&C programs and at this point of the season is having trouble staying on the field for an entire game. .

I'd say there is a very, very strong chance he plays @Indiana. Otherwise, I think it is a crap shoot. My guess is Vedral plays the first half of every game and Wimsatt comes in for a few drives in the second half depending on circumstances. If RU is down 14-0 at halftime tomorrow do you bring in Wimsatt for some energy or do you save him for the last 3 games?

Reactions: Knightmoves
Wisconin's #1 RB Braelon Allen does not turn 18 until January 22. Is it fair to say a RB gets punished equally (or perhaps more) than a QB?

Honestly...getting a "premium" subscription, either here or TOS, would GREATLY benefit some of you guys. There IS a plan, fellas, and a couple of you are a tad off base if you think that "plan" is for him to sit on the sideline the rest of the season. I'll leave it at that. That 4th and 5 last week wasn't just some "happy little accident."

Wisconin's #1 RB Braelon Allen does not turn 18 until January 22. Is it fair to say a RB gets punished equally (or perhaps more) than a QB?
ESPN has Allen listed as 6' 2", 238 lbs. That's a full grown young man. Wimsatt is around 200# depending on who you believe. There is a noticeable difference.

I would hope we can preserve Wimsatt's redshirt, but will leave that for the coaches. (As if I have any say in the matter anyway!)

Thanks mdk. I don't disagree with any of that. As a matter of fact, if you told me that that's exactly what Schiano and company have in mind for Wimsatt - or just about anyone else - I would believe it. I think Greg is definitely one of the more honest coaches out there and truly cares about the kids under his watch (I'm sure most of us remember how he was by Eric Legrand's side during his injury and recovery).

I would imagine that some / many / most coaches out there however are somewhat less scrupulous and would do just about anything for a win if it effects their bottom line (and they do). And, that certainly includes exposing players to risk when it may not be entirely necessary.

My original question may have a lot more to do with next year than anything else. Does Schiano and staff look to get Wimsatt as much exposure (to in-game situations) now to make the transition that much easier next year? With the changes we're now seeing across the college football landscape, many coaches out there wouldn't bat an eye to consider the potential ramifications.

I'd say there is a very, very strong chance he plays @Indiana. Otherwise, I think it is a crap shoot. My guess is Vedral plays the first half of every game and Wimsatt comes in for a few drives in the second half depending on circumstances. If RU is down 14-0 at halftime tomorrow do you bring in Wimsatt for some energy or do you save him for the last 3 games?
My guess - cough, cough - is that he will NOT be brought in if we're out of the game. No reason whatsoever for risk at that point. 14-0? Meh....

Thanks mdk. I don't disagree with any of that. As a matter of fact, if you told me that that's exactly what Schiano and company have in mind for Wimsatt - or just about anyone else - I would believe it. I think Greg is definitely one of the more honest coaches out there and truly cares about the kids under his watch (I'm sure most of us remember how he was by Eric Legrand's side during his injury and recovery).

I would imagine that some / many / most coaches out there however are somewhat less scrupulous and would do just about anything for a win if it effects their bottom line (and they do). And, that certainly includes exposing players to risk when it may not be entirely necessary.

My original question may have a lot more to do with next year than anything else. Does Schiano and staff look to get Wimsatt as much exposure (to in-game situations) now to make the transition that much easier next year? With the changes we're now seeing across the college football landscape, many coaches out there wouldn't bat an eye to consider the potential ramifications.
Get premium my friend.

Reactions: BeantownKnight
There have been superstar QB's who were skinnier and playing as true frosh, at a high level, over the past 20 years or so. Some of these posters have very short memories.
Some people are forgetting about 6'5" 186 lbs Tylin Oden, who Ash used for QB sneaks against Iowa in 2016.

CwH-TdBVIAAiMXq

More people are probably wondering what happened to Tylin. He's WR at Virginia State University. He also seems to have shrunk to 6'4" and 180 lbs. 9 receptions for 117 yards and a TD for Tylin!!!

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers

Thoughts?
If I’m Greg I sit GW for Wisc and play him in the final 3 games.

The Cole Snyder and Evan Simon fan clubs have been disbanded IMO.

Reactions: BeantownKnight
If I’m Greg I sit GW for Wisc and play him in the final 3 games.

The Cole Snyder and Evan Simon fan clubs have been disbanded IMO.
As President of the Cole Snyder fan club, I am reporting we took a vote, and the club has not been disbanded! I get what you are saying, but I would not write off either one of them yet. IIRC, in this week's podcast, I thought I heard @Richard Schnyderite or one of the other Rivals staff saying that Cole Snyder has been OK. Last game, he did not look great, but that is not a reason to write the guy off. As to Evan Simon, we have not seen him in meaningful game action.

Let's assume Wimsatt is the starter next year. Wonder if that means that Vedral will hit the portal? We certainly want/need two (preferably three) backup QBs that can run the offense.

I would think that “potential “ starters all have videos just in case.

I don’t understand your post. Can you explain?

Im in favor of a Vedral/GW two deep at QB for the rest of this season.
by calling out a supposed Snyder/Simon "fan club" you are calling out all those who thought/think Vedral is not the man at QB and that we should try someone else... and those people are now the Wimsatt fan club, to some extent, and to justify having been included in your Snyder/Simon fan clubs they would have to justify their opinion by talking about Vedral's weaknesses.

In short.. you need not have called out said "fan club". Your first sentence expressed a complete thought.

You guys who keep saying "he just turned 18 blah blah blah"...you DO realize that ALL and ANY possible scenarios were discussed with his parents, and likely agreed to, prior to his decision to come here in September, right? That including PLAYING this season. Chill.

Rutgers will not run the ball against Wisconsin. 50 to 75 yards net rushing would actually be great. Gleeson might actually be reinventing the offense this week to be big play or nothing. GW is mobile and can sling it far so who knows…

Last edited:
I save him for Indy and Mary....and the bowl game preserving his RS.

MO

It's the only way to beat Wisconsin, Penn St, ND and Michigan won by throwing for 225-250 yds, Wisconsin gives up like 50 yds a game rushing through 8 games

Gavin Wimsatt reclassified at 17 years old and dropped to a top 200 player for 2021, I think 2022 was top 100-150, but he is ranked that high for a reason. If he can help beat Wisconsin with his passing ability, I'm all for using it tomorrow. He might be a player that is only here 3 or 4 years anyways if the hype and potential is real, especially with Gleeson at OC.

Throw playaction to TEs early... get safeties and LBs worried about pass coverage.. then Melton and Jones might get some man coverage and we might get some running room on playaction-like runs.. of course.. we have to hit those TE passes early.

Honestly...getting a "premium" subscription, either here or TOS, would GREATLY benefit some of you guys. There IS a plan, fellas, and a couple of you are a tad off base if you think that "plan" is for him to sit on the sideline the rest of the season. I'll leave it at that. That 4th and 5 last week wasn't just some "happy little accident."
BTW I owe an apology to the dude who had several posts saying wimsatt would play this season. I and many others thought he was nuts and said so in the thread.
I guess in this day of the portal and NIL the days of red shirting are coming to a close.
here we are and Wimsatt could see increasing playing time going forward.

As President of the Cole Snyder fan club, I am reporting we took a vote, and the club has not been disbanded! I get what you are saying, but I would not write off either one of them yet. IIRC, in this week's podcast, I thought I heard @Richard Schnyderite or one of the other Rivals staff saying that Cole Snyder has been OK. Last game, he did not look great, but that is not a reason to write the guy off. As to Evan Simon, we have not seen him in meaningful game action.

Let's assume Wimsatt is the starter next year. Wonder if that means that Vedral will hit the portal? We certainly want/need two (preferably three) backup QBs that can run the offense.
Some RU fans lost faith in Cole when he tripped over the 30 yard line and went down vs Illinois.

Its a good thing that Vedral was able to re-enter the game and help us get the W.

Cole is probably better than he played last week, but RU fans are more interested in seeing what GW can do the rest of this season.

I'm proud of myself in that thread with a pretty good take on things, Delaware was too early. You don't get invited to the Elite QB camp this past summer if you aren't one of the top QBs in the 2022 class, he represented himself very well there. He has been starting since his sophomore year in HS, special athlete at 15, and the unique situation of QB1 reps all summer camp and playing 3 games at Owensboro HS before enrolling here. Not much of an adjustment period or time off from all the work. He is a program changing athlete on the football field like Cliff and Jaden will be for Pike on the court very soon.

I watched the play live and rewatched It a couple times since, big pressure situation 4th and 5 and he looked very poised, more aware of everything happening on a max protect, 3 WR set, and dropped a pinpoint pass into a small window in stride, Melton wasn't first option, like you see from every tOSU QB that has made it look easy against us like Justin Fields, Dwayne Haskins, and many before them. Wisconsin hasn't beaten OSU since 2010. I say get him involved early and often, the best is yet to come. If the shirt gets burned, its burned, if he turned out to be a tOSU type QB, he won't be here 5 years anyways.

Reactions: Knight Shift
BTW I owe an apology to the dude who had several posts saying wimsatt would play this season. I and many others thought he was nuts and said so in the thread.
I guess in this day of the portal and NIL the days of red shirting are coming to a close.
here we are and Wimsatt could see increasing playing time going forward.

‘Different Football landscape today.
The Wisconsin RB is only 17 years old. #0 Braleon will be getting a lot carries today. Skipped his senior year at HS.

Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT