GOP Candidate for MS Gov/Sharia Law Advocate says no women on campaign bus without chaperone

Discussion in 'Current Events, Politics and Off Topic Banter' started by NotInRHouse, Jul 11, 2019.

1. NotInRHouse

NotInRHouse Legend
    Expand Collapse

A Mississippi Republican running for governor and a female reporter seeking to spend a day with him on the campaign trail squared off Thursday morning on CNN over his refusal to be alone with her.

The candidate, state Rep. Robert Foster, stood by his decision to insist that reporter Larrison Campbell bring a male colleague if she wanted a “ride-along” in his truck because he “just wanted to keep things professional” and avoid “a lot of opportunities where it would’ve been an awkward situation.”

“I didn’t want to end up in a situation where me and Ms. Campbell were alone for an extended period of time throughout that 15- to 16-hour day. And so out of precaution, I wanted to have her bring someone with her, a male colleague,” Foster said over the phone in a live interview with CNN’s John Berman Thursday. Campbell was also on-air.

https://news.yahoo.com/miss-candida...e-alone-with-a-female-reporter-160344454.html

The Education Ministry generally requires a guardian, known as a wali, to approve a young woman’s enrollment in school. If she wants to study in a university outside her hometown, a guardian needs to approve her travel and accommodations. If she wins a scholarship to study abroad, a guardian must approve her application for a passport and give consent for her to depart the country. Traditional customs mean that young women studying abroad generally need a male relative to accompany them, acting as chaperones.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/22/world/middleeast/saudi-women-guardianship.html

2. RU_Planning

RU_Planning Heisman Winner
    Expand Collapse

This is the modern day GOP and they try to tell us the Democrats are the radicals with their health care access for everyone and stuff. Sad.

3. RUinFla

RUinFla Heisman Winner
    Expand Collapse

No, this is the modern politician/college instructor/(choose your own field) protecting themselves against someone filing a sex assault charge against him at some future date. My late friend, a law professor, said that whenever a female student asked for a conference in his office, he made sure the door was wide open and that his secretary was in the general area. Just been way too many spurious sexual assault charges made the last few years, which messes all over the legitimate claims.

But then again, he is from Mississippi and a Republican, so some on the board will choose to put their own slant on his motives.
    He would have been smarter to have his wife or another adult family member on hand.
    TL

koleszar, RUaMoose, vkj91 and 2 others like this.
  4. RU205

RU205 Senior
    Expand Collapse

Aren't you putting your own slant on it by referencing a law professor that kept his door open?

5. RUinFla

RUinFla Heisman Winner
    Expand Collapse

OK, by my own slant, you mean the idea that maybe he is protecting himself against some woman deciding down the road that he sexually assaulted her, and am citing my late friend who took steps to ensure that female students that asked for a conference in his office were well protected from sexual assault in his office to reinforce my thought about the Mississippi guy? Yes.

You got a slant. I got a slant. We all got a slant. That's what generates so much board activity. But you seem to be implying that Housie's and Planning's slants are more valid than mine. Gator feathers!
    TL

RUaMoose likes this.
  6. RU205

RU205 Senior
    Expand Collapse

I don’t have a slant and didn’t post one, nor did I say anyone else’s slant was better than your slant.

I was just pointing out that you called someone out on the board for posting a slant while posting your own slant.

7. RUtrumpet92

RUtrumpet92 All American
    Expand Collapse

He's not advocating for sharia law and you know it. Is he proposing that Mississippi make any changes in its laws, or forcing anyone else to adopt his personal policy? Why do you troll so often?

8. RUPsyched

RUPsyched Sophomore
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Sharia law may be a bit of hyperbole, but the Billy Graham" rules could lead to some thorny discrimination issues. Are women going to be shut out of opportunities because male bosses won't meet with them as they would male employees? Will courts now rule in favor of this kind of discrimination because there is religious reasoning behind it?

NotInRHouse likes this.
  9. wheezer

wheezer Hall of Famer
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I don’t see what the big deal was. The girl should have gone along with the request and brought a friend or colleague

It is not like her request for a day with the candidate was denied.

10. brianoc

brianoc Heisman Winner
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

So 2 women would be okay to him?

11. vkj91

vkj91 Hall of Famer
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I guess it's hard for certain people who have never held any power or who don't have any money to understand the precautions you need to take in the #metooworld

11 vkj91, Jul 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    koleszar and RUaMoose like this.
  12. IMARUFAN

IMARUFAN All Conference
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Can somebody please explain to me why all GOP politicians are insane?

13. wheezer

wheezer Hall of Famer
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

In my dreams sometimes, but I digress!

Tough question, but for some reason a man would be more appropriate

Two women is not a deal breaker

14. wheezer

wheezer Hall of Famer
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

All it takes is one demented opposite sex person to derail your life's ambition. Granted most people out there would have just went off with the one woman, but I think that the request for a second person should be understandable at the least

I also don't think it is a party issue

15. RUboston

RUboston All Conference
    Expand Collapse

Why doesn't he bring a female chaperone or one of his female assistants if he is so concerned? Why is the onus on the reporter to bring a male colleague if he has concerns?

Maybe he is he concerned about what he might do.

16. RUboston

RUboston All Conference
    Expand Collapse

Maybe he's like Trump, his party's leader, and if he sees a woman he finds attractive he just starts kissing and grabbing and doesn't even ask.

17. mildone

mildone Hall of Famer
    Expand Collapse

So your friend would meet w/male students behind closed doors, but not female students? Sounds like your buddy was gay.

18. RUinFla

RUinFla Heisman Winner
    Expand Collapse

Called someone out? By daring to disagree with him? By saying "No.this is the modern politician....."? Would it all have been OK if I hadn't called him out by using the word, "no"? Please explain.
    TL

19. RUinFla

RUinFla Heisman Winner
    Expand Collapse

Mild, you do understand that a very, very few female students will tell a male professor they would do ANYTHING for a passing grade? Even in Law School? Well, of course you do, but you wouldn't be you if you didn't take most every opportunity to be a wisea*s. My friend and his wife had three adult kids, and they liked to tell me their kids turned green at the thought of their wrinkled, overweight parents still enjoying conjugal relations.
    TL

20. mildone

mildone Hall of Famer
    Expand Collapse

All I know is that I always close my office door when college girls visit me there. Always. Lock it too.

21. NotInRHouse

NotInRHouse Legend
    Expand Collapse

Good thing this guy didn't offer to take her furniture shopping!

22. NotInRHouse

NotInRHouse Legend
    Expand Collapse

His own policy lines up with a country that proudly practices Sharia Law.

We are consistently told Dems are advocating for Sharia Law- despite having a gay married man and several women running for President. Did I miss your objection to that commentary?

23. NotInRHouse

NotInRHouse Legend
    Expand Collapse

Why doesn't he have his own male colleagues present instead of forcing his views on this woman?

Because in the GOP, women are considered less than- just like minorities.

24. NotInRHouse

NotInRHouse Legend
    Expand Collapse

Why didn't he provide another male? It's his policy.

25. NotInRHouse

NotInRHouse Legend
    Expand Collapse

Right- that's why we didn't ask for your views. We stick to things in your lane, and I didn't see your buddy in Paterson bringing value here.

As a powerful wealthy man I'm not worried- given I'm not a Republican, I actually treat everyone with respect.

26. RUtrumpet92

RUtrumpet92 All American
    Expand Collapse

Some individuals are likely
    advocating for it in majority Muslim communities, but I wouldn't say all Democrats are in favor of it. I mostly like here so I haven't noticed people saying all Democrats are pushing to allow it.

My larger point is, I'd like to see the conversation on this board stay on the issues without going to extreme rhetoric such as saying this guy is pushing for sharia. There are a few guys on the right side of the debate that do the same thing so in fairness I will say I don't support them doing it either. The best threads here are ones like the discussion on college costs, where despite disagreements it wasn't just a bunch of baiting from both sides. I just roll my eyes when certain posters go back and forth for 30 posts of juvenile personal attacks. (I don't bother reporting anything to moderators, don't think that is necessary.) It's one of the reasons I do more lurking than posting.

Anyway, in the #metoo era, I can see the point of the candidate that is the subject of the thread not wanting to be one on one with someone he doesn't know. But it's a fair question to say he could have someone from his staff along as a witness to confirm inappropriate things didn't happen. I imagine his explanation would be, the (hypothetically false) accuser would just say his staffer was in on it too.

27. brianoc

brianoc Heisman Winner
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

If he is so concerned he should get a body cam

28. RU_Planning

RU_Planning Heisman Winner
    Expand Collapse

Or a different job.

29. RUinFla

RUinFla Heisman Winner
    Expand Collapse

What? You actually have an office? Corner office on Wall Street, with college girls contesting for a few prized internships? You cad!
    Does anyone even say cad anymore?
    TL

30. wheezer

wheezer Hall of Famer
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

He is doing her a favor, allowing her to tag along. The onus is properly on her

31. Kbee3

Kbee3 Hall of Famer
    Expand Collapse

I actually saw a picture of this guy last night. Trust me, the women aren't all over him.

32. mildone

mildone Hall of Famer
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, draftsmen do.

33. NotInRHouse

NotInRHouse Legend
    Expand Collapse

Would you find it appropriate if your daughter were asked to bring a chaperone to her job?

34. wheezer

wheezer Hall of Famer
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I find nothing wrong with it, if that is what the man wants

I really don’t see this as a big deal

35. NotInRHouse

NotInRHouse Legend
    Expand Collapse

So if the man wants, it's incumbent on the woman to have this burden that a man would not?

36. wheezer

wheezer Hall of Famer
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

A
    You are making this way too complicated. He is doing her a favor by letting her tag along

. He could easily say no, I don’t like or want someone to hang with me all day

But he will go along with it as long as there is someone else Also

Again this is no big deal. She can agree to it, not agree and not do it, maybe having a standard interview with others around, her choice

It is not like he is demanding anything, he is just setting a parameter that she can easily follow and have her day

37. vkj91

vkj91 Hall of Famer
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Lol at the should provide a male colleague to chaperone. Because the #metoo movement wouldn’t just say he was covering for his boy.

38. NotInRHouse

NotInRHouse Legend
    Expand Collapse

He is doing her a favor by mandating she hire someone else to do a job she can do all her self because of her private parts?

39. wheezer

wheezer Hall of Famer
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

The problem here is you consider it a mandate. I guess we can’t get past your opinion with that, or that this is not a big deal

40. NotInRHouse

NotInRHouse Legend
    Expand Collapse

I have had female bosses and if they told me I needed to bring a woman around to meet with them I would have sued them into the next century, and won bigly.